This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear and Loathing in St Louis

So, St. Louis got creamed by the ice storm and half the city is without power thanks to our almighty power company. This brings droves of frustrated people to the hotel and while nice initially, the smallest setback can set them off on a sucky customer tirade of Doomsday magnitude.

Now, keep in mind that i really do feel for these people, i just wish they would express their frustration in a way that doesn't involve me.

Some responses i've had to the phrase "We're sold out"

"Unbelievable! are you sure?!?" (uh, yeah)
    "But i live here in town, and i have no power, doesnt that carry more weight?" (uh, no)
    "I KNOW you have rooms set aside for emergencies."
    "Well, you're going to find me a hotel room somewhere, i'll call back in 10 minutes." (said without leaving a name or info or anything useful)
    "Beeaaaaaaargh!!!! <click>" (seriously)
    "But when i called last night you still had rooms!"
    "Do you think you'll have rooms in a half hour?" (No, chances are we'll still be sold out.)
    "Put me at the top of your waiting list." (We don't have a waiting list)
    "Would a credit card help my case?" (No, but a Valium might)
    "I bet if i gave you a million dollars, you could find me a room there" (You got that right)
    "Tch Tch Tch.. oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.. ah, errrrrmmmmmm... you know of ahhh.... any other hotels that have, you know, vacancies?" (Sure, let me consult my magic 8-ball... oooh "outlook not so good" sorry buddy)
    "sh--! Aw, sh--!" (I completely agree)
    "Can you give me the number to your location in Alamagordo New Mexico?" (Not weather related, but it still pissed me off)

This very second i'm looking at an old woman who refuses to leave the lobby, convinced that someone will cancel a reservation. I've got to hand it to her, this dedication is sure to land her a room.

Sorry, had to vent...

We can't stop here, this is SC country!
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
      So, St. Louis got creamed by the ice storm and half the city is without power thanks to our almighty power company.
      Huh, major ice storm...
      The EXACT reason I left Kansas City and moved to Florida...
      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
      HellGate: London

Comment

"Beeaaaaaaargh!!!! <click>" (seriously)
        You just denied service to Howard Dean! Shame on you!

Comment

This very second i'm looking at an old woman who refuses to leave the lobby, convinced that someone will cancel a reservation. I've got to hand it to her, this dedication is sure to land her a room.
          Did this lady ever get a room? Did you have any cancellations? I'm DYIN' ovah heeyah!!!
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Actually I live one county east of St.Louis (St.Clair), and here in my little town, we got no ice at all. =P

*chalks one up for the hicksville*

Comment

Been there! Done that! Got the snowglobe!

As it were.

I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, where according to our almighty power company, it is too expensive to bury the powerlines, although it is not too expensive to pay power crews hundreds of thousands of dollars in hazard pay and overtime every time a storm blows those lines down.

Every time those lines go down, the locals pour in. Some are understanding, others are not, and the stress brings out the SC in everyone. We've had people pitch screaming fits over a difference of four dollars in the rate.

And we threw them out into the street, while they were still screaming about us doing just that and them having kids, if you can imagine.

We had one woman say that she would rather stay in her cold, dark house because the bedspread was not pulled tightly enough over the bed in the room we were going to give her.

And so we threw her out too and told her that if she wanted to stay in a freezing, lightless house, she deserved to.

No, I do not enjoy it all when the power goes out.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Some responses i've had to the phrase "We're sold out"

"Unbelievable! are you sure?!?" (uh, yeah)
                "But when i called last night you still had rooms!"
                That is just the conversation I had on Friday! Some guy called on the phone about a laptop computer we had on sale that week.

SC: So I'm calling about that Sony you have on sale...
                Me: The one for $799? (We had two Sonys on sale.)
                SC: Yeah. I just have a question or two about it before I come in and buy one.
                Me: I'd be happy to answer your questions, sir, but we have sold out of that computer.
                SC: What? Sold out? Whaddya mean?
                Me: Just that. We sold out. I don't have any to sell you.
                SC: ... That's not right. You had some on Tuesday. I called then, and the guy said you had five of them.
                Me: That's probably right. There were five left when I went home Monday night. But we have since sold them.
                SC: Are you sure?
                Me: Yes, sir. No $799 Sonys in the store.
                SC: ... That's not right.
                Me: What do you mean by that, sir?
                SC: Well, when I called on Tuesday, you had some. Now you don't? I can't believe it.
                Me: Other people wanted that computer, too. Some of them came in and purchased the five we had. Now we don't have any. We sold them. That's it.
                SC: ... That's not right. I don't understand how you can have them one day and not have them the next.
                Me: It's been a busy month, sir. We're sold out. We can try to pick out a different computer for you, or you can wait until next week's ad, or you can try to order it online, but there are none in the store for you to pick up.

It astonishes me that people can be dense enough to not understand even the basics of the concept of supply and demand. They seem to think they're the only ones in the world at that moment who need whatever product or service it is they're after and can't comprehend the existence of others who got to it first.

Sold out means sold out. Yes, that sucks. Stop whining. It's time to move on.
                I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                - IPF

Comment

"I KNOW you have rooms set aside for emergencies."
                  I am so tired of guests who claim that. We are a business, our goal is to sell as many rooms as possible. There is no mythical room that we save for "emergencies" And if one did appear I'll sell that one too.
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    That is just the conversation I had on Friday!

SC: Well, when I called on Tuesday, you had some. Now you don't? I can't believe it.
                    Hmm... four days, five computers... No, not possible, you should only be able to sell one, ONE! computer a day!Not more! But preferably less! How could you do such a thing as not stop customers who were buying this computer that was obviously on sale, as you absolutely knew this guy wanted one, since he called on Tuesday to see how many you had!

Just like all the customers who would ask me to find them a DVD over the phone, to see if we had any before they came in. Invariably, when I told them we only had the one in, they'd go, "Great!" and hang up.
                    Noteven enough time for me to ask, "Would you like me to hold it for you? That way, you have 24 hours to come in and it'll definitely be here."
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Back when Hurricane Isabella made its way into the DC area I had to deal with local idiots left and right. We went from having like 20 rooms to sold out fast. Thats when the fun began. Had people who would call and be like do you like guys have electricity. I would be like yup we sure do. THen I would get Do you have running water? Once again I said sure do. Then came the final question Do you have rooms? Which of course I took joy in saying nope sure don't after dealing with local jerks.

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                        I am so tired of guests who claim that. We are a business, our goal is to sell as many rooms as possible. There is no mythical room that we save for "emergencies" And if one did appear I'll sell that one too.
                        Don't you have any 'in the back'?

*ducks onslaught of tomatoes*
                        -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                        -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

"Beeaaaaaaargh!!!!"
                          I like that one!

I'm surprised nobody used the old "If the President of the United States came to town and needed a room.......".

Although, the "I bet if I gave you a million dollars....." is close!

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

I'm surprised that I didn't hear anything about customers refusing outright to pay for a room, because it's a "service" since they NEEDED to stay there while their house was without electricity, etc.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

"I bet if i gave you a million dollars, you could find me a room there" (You got that right)
                              No shit. But do they have a million dollars? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                              X