This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talked down by Mrs Superior - who couldn't pronounce wine properly

As well as Mr Arsehole (see my other thread), I had this horrible woman who talked to me like she was addressing a servant. However, I got a laugh out of it (which I sorely needed after dealing with Mr Arsehole) when she asked me if we had any Soave wine? She pronounced it "sove". I also wondered why, if she was so superior, she was buying £2.99 wine.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

"Oh you simply must try this fabulous wine. It's a 'sove'. Quite pricey too, I had to break a 5 pound note just to pay for it."
    -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
    -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

That is so funny, I love when common folk try and act 'posh.'
      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

For that kind of money, she's probably getting something just one step above cooking wine.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          For that kind of money, she's probably getting something just one step above cooking wine.
          Any decent chef will tell you if you wouldn't drink don't cook with it.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

The nastier the customer, the less likely they are to pronounce wine terms correctly. Its almost like they WANT us to laugh in their faces. So they can make a complaint about us and get free stuff?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I wonder if she was going to have it with some escarGOTs.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Or Pasta Fag-lee-OH-lee.

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                  Any decent chef will tell you if you wouldn't drink don't cook with it.
                  Really? I thought I read somewhere cooking wine is wine not fit to drink.

Plus I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a bottle of wine to use for cooking.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was at a restaurant once and was listening to this woman being insufferably rude to the waitress. Just lecturing here, explaining exactly what she wanted it done, and just talking down to her. When it came time for her order she proudly ordered a fill-et
                    Mig-non. I nearly choked listening to her butchered pronunciation.
                    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Really? I thought I read somewhere cooking wine is wine not fit to drink.

Plus I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a bottle of wine to use for cooking.
                      You're right - what many wineries and stores have labelled "cooking wine" really isn't drinking wine. Its either sherry (and some kinds are excellent if you don't mind the heavy sugar and alcohol content) or just really crappy cheap wine.
                      With that said, I always suggested that my customers cook with a good wine that they can then pair with the meal itself. And you can get some fantastic bottles for less than fifteen dollars. The two or three hundred dollar bottles are out there, but unless you have an extremely developed palate, its a waste of money to buy them. Most people will enjoy a less expensive bottle just as much. Its also risky to buy wine based on price if you don't know the vintage. Some wines are pricy because they are RARE, not necessarily tasty.
                      Apologies for the novel I've written here, but I've got all this friggin' useless knowledge that's going completely to waste now that I've left the wine store job.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Boozy, it wasn't a novel, and I'm fascinated. I like learning new things.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have to say that my favorite 2 wines are about $10-$12 per bottle. (Columbia Crest Merlot and Kendall Jackson Reserve Chardonnay)

However, if I bring a nice bottle of either over to the farm for dinner, mom will try to be all kuntry kousin and break out the Manishevitz.

Comment

I don't drink wine, however I will slosh in some nice red wine into pasta sauce. Really adds a lot to the sauce.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                              I was at a restaurant once and was listening to this woman being insufferably rude to the waitress. Just lecturing here, explaining exactly what she wanted it done, and just talking down to her. When it came time for her order she proudly ordered a fill-et
                              Mig-non. I nearly choked listening to her butchered pronunciation.
                              While at Ruth's Chris Steak House in Atlanta on a business trip, a co-irker from a different department (I'm IT and she was marketing) ordered a steak and then, once it arrived, WITHOUT tasting the steak, asked for A-1. The waiter looked horrified. I wanted to change to a different table. Personally, I was surprised they even had it in the back. Ruined a fantastic cut of meat.

At least she didn't order any wine. I can just imagine her asking for the thunderbird 20-20.
                              Last edited by Kilamon; 01-16-2007, 04:35 PM. Reason: to appease the usage nazi
                              Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Working...
                              X