Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cars making this sound,what does it mean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cars making this sound,what does it mean?

I work for a well known roadside assistance company who has clients from all kinds of insurance companies and vehicle brands,but pretty much every call is the same......It starts off with me trying to get information from the customer as to what type of roadside assistance they need (ex.tow,tire change,jumpstart...)but for some reason the customer always seems to think that they've called a magical mechanic line who can diagnose their car problem over the phone.....
    ME: What type of service do you need today?
    CUSTOMER: Well you can probably help me over the phone, Let me explain what's going on.....(blah blah blah)....6 months ago my car stalled out a little..then 3 days ago it made a funny sound......(blah blah blah)...
    (they proceed to tell me the life story of the car)....and now when I try to start it makes this sound like "click click click".......or "chug chug chug"
    ME (THINKING OF COURSE)- SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I CAN TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH UR CAR WHEN U MAKE THE NOISE WITH UR MOUTH, OR TRY TO PUT THE PHONE UP TO THE CAR.......I AM NOT A MECHANIC WHO CAN FIX UR CAR OVER THE PHONE, NOR CAN I DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM WITH UR CAR BY THE SOUND UR MAKING WITH UR MOUTH.....SORRY IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.

I know we all wish car problems could be fixed with the magical formula, or that you could call up a 1800 # and get techhnical advice like it was a computer, but cars are a little different. I wish people would think before they picked up the phone!

Methinks these guys should call "Car Talk." They like mouth sounds.

Comment

I hear you. I'm a dispatcher for a towing company and I get this all the time. I also answer the phones for the garage attached and every time I just want to bang the phone on the desk.

Then after telling them I'm going to transfer them or send a truck, "Oh..so you're not a mechanic?"

Comment

... six months ago ...

and they didn't take it to a mechanic six months ago, of course.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          ... six months ago ...

and they didn't take it to a mechanic six months ago, of course.
          Well, depends on the car. Mine's an '87, and I don't take it to the garage unless it's losing fluid (leaking).

Something made within the last decade, though... yeah, get that sucker in to the auto-doctor.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I get calls like that alot working for an autocenter afterall.

The typical 'my car is making this noise or is doing this blah blah blah' Stuff I cannot figure/diagnose over the phone. The worst are those who are like "its an older car and I don't want to spend too much money" . . . well guess what car maintenance issues can get expensive, especially if your the type to not take care of your POS!!!

I always tell the customer to find a mechanic they have confidence in and take it to them.
            "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Quoth ihatemyjob81 View Post
              I know we all wish car problems could be fixed with the magical formula, or that you could call up a 1800 # and get techhnical advice like it was a computer, but cars are a little different. I wish people would think before they picked up the phone!
              Actually, computers and cars are very, very similar.

They are both highly complex machines, and each individual machine has its own unique quirks due to the immense complexity and history of each different machine.

Also if you're not a mechanic you better not tinker with the engine! Likewise, if you're not a computer tech you better not be opening up the computer or adjusting settings.

Comment

hmm, a ching ching wugga wugga speeeewww sound, you say?

sorry, it's about to violently explode, throwing you 50 ft. into the wild blue; sucks to be you, buddy.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Please tell me how you avoid the response of

"WAIT, do that sound again? ..... Holy Shit don't you know that is the sound a car makes before it transforms into a decepticon I highly advise you to shoot the radiator and pour several gallons of gas into it, then burn that evil machine because you don't want to take an chances of the car troubles getting worse. Probably would help if you bought American made as those Asian cars then to be more prone to evil homicidal rampages."

I really wonder how many people would follow those directions..... This is why I want to avoid call center work
                  I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                  X