This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Srank?

I had a customer call and ask for our street address so he could punch it into his GPS. I spell the street name and conclude 2 F's as in Frank. I was pretty sure I was clear. He calls up later and says his GPS isn't recognizing *****ss as a street. I tell him it's *****ff
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Hehe, I think I know what street! I knew a guy who called it Iflin, but he liked to make up words.

Comment

Digital phones (which includes all modern cell phones) make it really hard to distinguish S from F. Sometimes when someone is spelling the name on the phone and I can't tell which it is, I'll say "So is that F as in Frank, or F as in Fam?" Nobody's caught on yet, although I've cracked up a cow-orker who overheard this.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
        Hehe, I think I know what street! I knew a guy who called it Iflin, but he liked to make up words.
        That sounds to be the street I was talking about, even though it's mangled. I'd just prefer not to mention the actual street in a public forum.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I just realized something else. Saying "f's" and "s's" sounds different. "s's" has another syllable.

Comment

I have that problem. My last name has ends with 2 f's. I tell people my email address is my first initial last name at store name dot com, and they always go. ******ss?

Me: No, *****ff
            Them: *****ss??
            Me: No, ******FF
            Them: So *****ss at store name dot com, the email will be sent to--
            Me: No, ma'am/sir! It's two f's! F as in future!! F as in Frank!!

Buh.

Comment

Perhaps try using Foxtrot?
              Not enough people use the phonetic alphabet. =/
              "You're not gone five minutes, Agent Scully, and I'm already starting to feel like a stranger in my own office-"
              -Agent Doggett

Comment

Quoth Kogo Shuko View Post
                Not enough people use the phonetic alphabet. =/
                It's entirely self perpetuating too. There's the 5-10 that everyone knows, but if you use the rest of them people will get confused and that will detract from you trying to communicate. (Of course, if someone thinks that "S as in Frank" makes sense, perhaps it's difficult to detract further from that).

Comment

A as in aye.
                  E as in Eye
                  S as in sea.
                  W as in why.
                  X as in Xylophone.
                  Y as in you.

Comment

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                    A as in aye.
                    E as in Eye
                    S as in sea.
                    W as in why.
                    X as in Xylophone.
                    Y as in you.
                    A as in Are?
                    A as in Am?

Comment

try lisping the S ... for some reason people can always tell that "eth" means "s" even when they can't tell the diff between f and s.
                      It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                        A as in aye.
                        E as in Eye
                        S as in sea.
                        W as in why.
                        X as in Xylophone.
                        Y as in you.
                        I already posted a list of these.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...9&postcount=10

Only change I'd make was for N: I'd make it N as in Nguyen, rather than as in 9. Couldn't think of a decent one for F or R, either.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          I had a customer call and ask for our street address so he could punch it into his GPS. I spell the street name and conclude 2 F's as in Frank. I was pretty sure I was clear. He calls up later and says his GPS isn't recognizing *****ss as a street. I tell him it's *****ff
                          Perhaps he's speaking Early Modern English (ie, Shakespearean English)?
                          Quoth Wikipedia
                          The letter <S> had two distinct lowercase forms: <s> as today, and <ſ> (long s). The former was used at the end of a word, and the latter everywhere else, except that double-lowercase-S was variously written <ſſ> or <ſs>.
                          Every time I see something written in that style, I always see the "ſ" as an "f".

Or, more likely, to quote from Cool Hand Luke, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate".
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Perhaps he's speaking Early Modern English (ie, Shakespearean English)?
                            That reminded me of this letter I saved from the New Scientist magazine many years ago.

Ftrange goingf on

I fuppofe it'f all part of fome feditiouf fcheme to ftop ftruggling aftronomerf feeking fhooting ftarf in the fmall hourf of Faturday moring (Thif Week, "Meteor ftandby", 11 Auguft, p393). Feekerf of fmall fuicidic ftonef fhould, of courfe, fcan the conftallation Perfeuf for the radiant of the aforefaid fhower. But furely, flightly flighted fouth-bank fcientiftf ftate, that'f what we faid in the firft place? Either that, funfhine, or your typefetting machine'f sucked. . . .
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X