This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in a name?

Call comes in getting transfered to me, the customer was coming from our credits dept. Well the call was frist sent to credits from my dept by accadent. So I'm the 3rd person he has spoken too.

He is up set with the way his name is on our mailings being shown as A. H. Cook.
    This is not good enough on my flies he is being shown as A. Horse Cook. but the mailings are not showing that has the just showing the middle inchel. So he wanted me to enter it in on the frist name as A Horse. When I did so it put Horse in the middle name. I can't over ride the system.

Now he is pissed be cause the mailings HAVE to come as A Horse and not A H. Since I can't fix it he wants me to close his account for his points cards. I don't know if i can, normaly just toss the card. But to make him happy I cash him out. Send him a gift card. While I'm doing this it take some time so I'm trying to be nice, smal talk.

How is the weather over there?
    Fine.
    Is it cooling down now?
    I don't want to talk, just give me my points and close my account!

(The story you have just read is true the names have been changed to protect the inocent. On Oct 5 trail was held in a moment the resolts of that trail.)

i can understand him being upset, but closing an account over it? just a bit of an overreaction. sure this guy's name wasn't a. hole?
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

While the guy was a bit weird over it, I can understand the frustration of standardized name systems that insist that you can only have a single middle name, and that name absolutely must be abbreviated to the middle initial.

I run into a similar issue all the time since I got married and shifted my maiden name to being a second middle name. And the billing name for my bank card has both middle initials, but nowhere that accepts input that's broken into chunks will accept the second initial. >_<

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It could be worse -- an old friend of mine has been going thru utter hell trying to get his ID's and passport. He hails from a Spanish-speaking area, and, like many people where he grew up, he has 5 (or 6?) "names", rather than the USA "standard 3".

In other words, his name (not really his name) is Jimmy Carlos Arondelo Maria Johnson. In other countries, he'd like be known as just Jimmy Johnson (or Carl Johnson)...even on his home turf, different government agencies have different definitions as to which of those names count as what PART of his legal name...or even which ones are to be included at all o_O He actually has to cart along EVERY bit of ID he has to each and every agency just to prove who he is...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A Horse WHAT?!

Comment

I'm from Puerto Rico. I have 2 last names & I don't have a middle name. You figure that one out...lol.

Comment

BT;DT;GTTS. Cost me money, too.

I have forever been known as F. Middle Last, because I never liked what the first initial stood for. This was fine as long as I was in NY; however, when I moved to Jersey, they don't seem to understand the concept of a middle name here, so I became First M. Last. Nobody calls me by my legal first name, anywhere. ("Shalom" is my religious name, I am so called by my family and friends, everyone else calls me Middle.)

So at that point I had a NJ driver's license that says First M. Last, and a NY car registration that says F. Middle Last. When I got that reg transfered to NJ, they still didn't know about middle names, so that one became F.M. Last. When I bought a new car, that one has the same as my driver's license, but the old car still had just the initials. Since the State ID number is based on some algorithm that hashes the name (among other things), I wound up with two different "driver's license numbers", although one of them was not associated with an actual DL.

Fast forward 11 years. Cash for clunkers comes around. It took me forever to decide what kind of car I wanted; wound up on the last day of eligibility running around looking for the titles to my cars, so I can decide whether to get rid of the 88, which looks rough but still runs halfway decently, or the 99, which looks great and tortures me by having more and weirder things break as soon as I get the last lot fixed. (Intake manifold? I can see the gasket going because it's designed stupidly, but the whole damn manifold? What kind of nonsense is that?) Turns out the titles are in my dad's strongbox, in another state, and he has no idea where the key is. So I go down to the MVC to get new titles. Wait a minute, they can't give me the title to the '88 because the driver's license number on file for that car isn't me, or really anyone corporeal, it's just the ghost number that's an artifact of transferring between states that don't deal with middle names the same way...

I got stuck there for most of the day, while they made phone calls to Trenton to try and straighten this out. Twice. Finally I get out of there, and by the time I got to the dealer they had only one car left on the lot that I didn't particularly want. (6 cylinder, I wanted the 4, and I couldn't get as much on the C4C deal because the MPG on the V6 was too low. Besides it was green, and I don't particularly like green cars.) Of course they were hard-selling me on this car, carefully not informing me that had I sat down and ordered a new car for later delivery, I'd still have been eligible. Found that out too late. I'm still pissed at missing C4C, the cars I'm driving are the exact sort they were trying to get off the road...

(That interstate confusion works both ways, though. My first car was a 1976 Ford LTD. Freaking tank, that was. I got it from someone in Maryland, which state does not recognise any car weighing more than 3700 pounds MGW, just puts 3700+ on the title. Had I registered it in New York under its actual maximum gross weight of about 6050 pounds, the registration would have cost me about three times as much.)

Comment

Working...
              X