This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our store is not a used car lot!

Do you ever have people who try to haggle over prices. I work in a sporting goods store and we get people who will haggle over anything. Even $10 sunglasses. Funny the people that do this seem to be the ones with the most money.

From the title, I thought this post was going to be about people who leave their cars for sale in the store parking lot. Guess not.

Hagglers are annoying though, especially in chain stores. 99% of the population knows corporate-owned chains don't change prices on a whim, but there's always got to be that aggressive little bunch. *sigh*
    Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Quoth TSAEMP View Post
      Funny the people that do this seem to be the ones with the most money.
      How do you think those guys got that money in the first place?
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I was thinking it was an abandoned car story too, we're a college town, and every football season folks try to hide thier mammoth RV's in store parkinglots so they don't have to pay for stadium parking....
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I get that a lot in our store. We are a retail cell phone company, and it kills me when people come in and immediately ask "What kind of specials are you running?"

I have to suppress the urge to say "Well if you buy one medium one topping pizza, you get the second one free"
          Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

or for just 25 cents more you can get the large popcorn instead of the medium
            i love your avatar...too cute...mmm, popcorn...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I also thought it was about leaving there cars in the lot, and going all over town
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                or for just 25 cents more you can get the large popcorn instead of the medium
                i love your avatar...too cute...mmm, popcorn...
                Why thank you. I about died laughing at your "Thank you and go to Hell" Wish I could say that to customers.

Comment

The parking lot of the grocery store near me always had a line of cars by the street for sale. Then the store got fed up, so people just started parking the cars on the street with the signs. Then the cops started ticketing them. No more cars.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'm pretty sure the OP labeled the thread as so because even though people will try and haggle over the price of....anything, one of the most common is with salesmen/women at used car dealerships.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth SCSlave View Post
                      Why thank you. I about died laughing at your "Thank you and go to Hell" Wish I could say that to customers.
                      Wow, thanks, now I really feel like part of the gang

I used to do the closing announcements all the time. On the last one I always said "The time is now 11 pm and Big Name Bookstore of My Town is closed for the evening. We will reopen tomorrow at 9 am. Thank you and have a good night" (or some variant thereof). Some nights it was all I could do not to say "Thank you and get the hell out."

One of my old managers said I sounded like a flight attendant so one night I did it like the airplane announcements. "blah blah blah...The exit is located to the left of the cash registers. Thank you for flying B&N...blah blah blah" i imagine PrincessKatieAirHostess could come up with something better, though i don't fly much. (it might sound better if we had more than one exit...)

and one of the guys once announced that "...the store is now closed. we will release the dogs in 30 seconds." But that was after we knew all the customers were out.

-ams-

Comment

"we will release the dogs in 30 seconds" That's funny.

We have a problem at our store with people coming in 5 minutes before we close and want to get new service, file an insurance claim...whatever. These transactions can take up to an hour...sometimes more. The SC's get mad when we tell them "Sorry, we're closing in 5 minutes" Now, I understand they feel we should accomodate them..and maybe we should..but the thing is...the sales people work 11 hours a day. Once the store is closed, they have an hour worth of paperwork to do before they can go home. If we did that, the sales girls would be there until 11 pm every night. Errg.

Comment

I got a guy who tried to haggle over the price of a book because he wanted to buy fifty (!)of them and wanted a "bulk rate" , now we only had 4 copies of that book on the shelf, so I don't know where he thought he would get 50, I guess he thought me had them in the mythical "back". He asked "How low would you be willing to go?" Gah. It's a retail store not a bloody flea market.

Comment

BN gives a discount on bulk orders...I think it's 20% if you buy at least 30 copies and 25% if you buy more than 50. That being said, the discount amount is not negotiable, if you buy 29 copies you are not getting a bulk discount, and it's highly unlikely that we'd have 50 copies of a book in the store so you're going to have to special order it.

When we do have that many it's usually a brand new title that's expected to be a bestseller (think every book that James Patterson puts out--my store got 26 casepacks of 10 copies each of the last few he had...at least 2 weeks ahead of time! the entrance to our receiving room was just a wall of James) or one that's been on the bestseller list forever (Da Vinci Code, anyone?)

Comment

When I worked at the movie theatres some few years back, I worked as usher, box office, and unfortunately concession (which my bosses forced me into doing).
                              One long Saturday late at night, I had been working since morning and had at least 2 or 3 hours left on a 10 hour shift. I was cranky and tired of serving customers all day.
                              The lines were constantly long and backed up. Suddenly I had this teenage girl walk right past everyone who was waiting, and she came right up to my register.
                              Teenage Girl: Excuse me, do you feel bad about charging these high prices for food?
                              Me: (with a very tired and exhasted look) No, I don't.
                              Teenage Girl: You mean you don't feel bad about ripping people off?!
                              Me: (rolling my eyes at her) No, I don't. (pointing) Back of the line is way back there.
                              She gives me a shocked look.
                              Me: Goodbye.
                              She walked away with a very shocked expression like she couldn't believe I just talked to her that way.
                              God, I ****ing hate customers who complain about prices. Why don't they just do the smart thing and sneak candy into the movies? My friends and I do it all the time and nobody cares!

Comment

Working...
                              X