X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter re: Postal Codes

Dear Customers:

Many stores collect bits of information, some more personal than others, at checkout. One former employer of mine asked for phone numbers, which we used (if the number had a listed address) to update our catalog and advertising mailings.

My current employer has our cashiers ask for ZIP codes. We use postal codes for one important function: When we look at locations for new stores, we have a database that shows us where our customers are coming from. Your ZIP code is in no way a private or personal piece of information. You share your ZIP code with thousands, if not TENS of thousands, of other addresses. Rest assured that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that, from your ZIP code alone, anyone can trace you to your home or find out any of your personal information. These facts might seem intuitive to some, but clearly not to all.

Some actual reactions to the question "And may I have your ZIP code, please?"

"ZIP code? You people should just be happy that I'm shopping here at all!"

"No you may not, thank you very much."

"I'm not sure..." (shit-eating grin) "I live about five miles that way. Does that help?"

I don't care what your politics are. Maybe you're one of them tea-party small-government "don't tread on me" types, and you reflexively refuse to supply anyone with any personal information whatsoever. Maybe you're a far-left off-the-grid organic-foods-only type, and you don't want "the man" to keep track of you. I don't FUCKING CARE.

It's only a ZIP code. I'm not asking for a sample of your brain tissue, a gallon of blood from your firstborn child, or the last nine digits of your Social Security number. GET OVER YOURSELF.

I feel better. Thanks for listening.
    CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.

I will admit I do not give mine, just because I find it annoying

Comment

I won't give out my phone number precisely because I don't want to end up on a mailing list or catalog list. I get enough junk mail. I simply say, "I'm sorry, but I don't give out my phone number." I've never had a clerk get pissy with me about it (whatever they may have been thinking is another issue )

Zips are a different story. As to OP notes, it can't be used to track you down. It DOES serve a use for statistical surveys of what sells in what areas. It takes two seconds to answer and is not intrusive. What's the big deal?
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Some places ask for a phone number. Depending on my mood, I either give them a former one or decline to give it.

I find it peculiarly refreshing when all they ask for is a ZIP code.

Of course, if you're paying with plastic, they already know everything there is to know :P
        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

TJ Maxx asks for a phone number. I did my job but people would treat me like I was personally trying to get their info.

I was glad that all the SHC did was ask for zip codes. But I got almost all of the complaints you got and more so. I feel your pain.

Comment

Quoth jerseyguy View Post
            Some actual reactions to the question "And may I have your ZIP code, please?"

"ZIP code? You people should just be happy that I'm shopping here at all!"

"No you may not, thank you very much."

"I'm not sure..." (shit-eating grin) "I live about five miles that way. Does that help?"
            Quoth roguesqd View Post
            I will admit I do not give mine, just because I find it annoying
            It seems like most of the responses you get for declining a zip code are done in a sucky attitude, but certainly there's a polite way do decline?
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I use the second response, "no thank you".

Also, for those who know: there's several steps that you can take to reduce the amount of junk and credit offers you get in the mail. I don't have it right now but I'm sure it's available through Google.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                TJ Maxx asks for a phone number. I did my job but people would treat me like I was personally trying to get their info.

I was glad that all the SHC did was ask for zip codes. But I got almost all of the complaints you got and more so. I feel your pain.
                I am required to ask for phone numbers at my plkace too. It sucks, and we are graded weekly on our phone and email capture rate. Plus it goes on our review.

Please just say yes or no (Nicely!!!!!!!) I don't like asking anymore then you like giving it out, but, this job puts food on our table, so just humor me.
                Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

LOL At the hotel, we have to ask for phone numbers, (Especially if you're leaving a pet on property for a bit), but it's really easy to explain: "If you leave something here, we want to reach you. not just send it to your address. Sometimes ya don't even know you've left anything!"

LOL

Comment

Quoth superhotelworker View Post
                    LOL At the hotel, we have to ask for phone numbers, (Especially if you're leaving a pet on property for a bit), but it's really easy to explain: "If you leave something here, we want to reach you. not just send it to your address. Sometimes ya don't even know you've left anything!"

LOL
                    It seems in the hotel business, it's easier to have people cooperate with you on addresses and phone numbers. Obtaining email addresses is like pulling teeth though. Most just don't want to give it.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Used to have to ask for e-mail addresses when I worked at the club, for new members (of which we already had address and date of birth). Oh, how many hissy fits!
                      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

This is why I have a junk email.
                        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          It seems in the hotel business, it's easier to have people cooperate with you on addresses and phone numbers. Obtaining email addresses is like pulling teeth though. Most just don't want to give it.
                          Oh this a thousand times. I know who lies about it - very generic joe_smith and gmail/hotmail etc and it bounces back when I send a confirmation. I don't care if they lie. It's only for their confirmation.

I've only been asked for a post code once or twice when I'm shopping here, I give them the work post code though.
                          "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Quoth CloserToSane View Post
                            Oh this a thousand times. I know who lies about it - very generic joe_smith and gmail/hotmail etc and it bounces back when I send a confirmation.
                            Admittedly, I'm in the minority, but you'll get a generic address from me, and it is not a lie. Every time I'm asked for an email, I look at the company, and give them the address <the_company_name>@<my_personal_domain>.org.

I have all email at that domain set up to funnel to me. Any company gets caught selling my email address? That entire address gets dropped into nothingness. No skin off my back, and I know who not to trust.

So, there's at least one person out there who uses generic addresses, but they're legitimate addresses.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

Zips are a different story. As to OP notes, it can't be used to track you down. It DOES serve a use for statistical surveys of what sells in what areas. It takes two seconds to answer and is not intrusive. What's the big deal?
                              The big deal is that if they want to set up a statistical survey, they need to do it someplace other than the checkout stand. If the line is long, you stand there long enough. I want to just give them my money and be on my way.

Not only that, but sometimes I don't know my postal code. If I'm tired or distracted, I can't recall it. On a good day, it's difficult. I don't appreciate being put on the spot like that.

I give one thing and one thing only at the checkout stand: payment. And they can take it or leave it.

Comment

Working...
                              X