This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both a bit sucky

I think with this one I was the SC and the drive thru guy was a jerk too. So we were both to blame.

I just came from the doctor's and heard about all this bad crap that is wrong with me and how many new and fun (insert sarcasm with "fun") tests they're going to put me though. But I know it's no excuse to be a bitch but I couldn't help myself...

Anyway, the fiance and I decide "Hey, lets get some food from McDonalds." Well, it was about ten in the morning. The Fiance and I run off of weird times. To us ten in the morning is the time before we go to bed. We're bascially graveyard at work.

Anyway, I haven't eaten at a Mcdonalds in like two years. I was actually weirded out by the two way drive thru area. They have two intercoms. And two ways to enter. But after ordering the two "lines" merge. I think that is weird because it looks like it would be confusing for the drivers and employees to figure things out. Anyway let me get to my story ... lol

Well, I admit it I was in a bad mood. Strike one for me. I get to the intercom and I wanted to scan the menu for a moment.

DTG: Drive thru guy
    Me: well yeah and a bit of SC in it

DTG: Welcome to McDonalds, can I take your order?

Me: Um, I need to look at the menu for a moment. Thanks.
    I said this calmly.

He says it again like I hadn't said that. I thought maybe he didn't hear me it was pretty windy. By then we decided to get two number ones. Which is big macs. Then I ask for two double cheeseburgers.

DTG: We're only serving breakfast right now.

Me: ooh. I didn't know. Um, what time do you start the other menu items?

I admit it, I was getting annoyed at myself for not knowing. I was actually a bit embarassed too.

DTG: 10:30.

Me: ooh..
    I tell my fiance that we're going to have to change our order. Me and him talk for like a second but the thing that pissed me off the DTG SIGHED as loud as he could into the intercom thingy!

I'm sorry but no matter how annoying the customer is, you never sigh at them. The whole "Hurry the hell up sigh" is unacceptable. I have a bad temper... I immediately got mad.

Me to the bf: I don't want breakfast...

So, we decided just to not get anything.

Me: Um, just cancel the order please.

DTG started to cut me off in the middle of it and I just had it. I snapped and it was pretty rude of me.

Me: Just cancel the whole damn order!

And I drove up away from the intercom and had to wait until I could get the hell outta there. I proceeded to rant and rave to my guy and well I was a bitch.

I'm sure I'll see this story on here from DTU's POV ...

It happens from time to time. Even with our best intentions and our extensive knowledge of customer suckitude, sooner or later someone, somehow, somewhere gets on our last nerve for whatever reason and we snap into SCs. We are not perfect, we are human.

The important thing is that I recognize when I am being an SC - even more now that I have been posting here and I can stop myself before I get really out of hand....most of the time. Then there are times when the first thing I do is wake up in the morning and call my bank's customer service line and cuss at the poor soul on the other end...opps.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I had a similar situation at a McDonalds in Pittsburgh last summer. I had gone through the drive thru and ordered a fish sandwich, fries and drink. I got to the window and they handed me my drink and asked me to pull foreward since they were waiting on fresh fish and fries. I pulled foreward and a couple minutes later a girl came out and handed me a small bag with just fries in it. I calmly asked where the fish sandwich was. She then yelled at me that it was not her problem and she ran inside. That is when I lost it. I put the car in park, got out, slammed the door and went inside. She meet me at the door yelling that it was all my fault. I told her to get out of my face and that I wanted to see her manager. To make a long story short, the manager made her apologize to me and gave me a free meal.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        It happens from time to time. Even with our best intentions and our extensive knowledge of customer suckitude, sooner or later someone, somehow, somewhere gets on our last nerve for whatever reason and we snap into SCs. We are not perfect, we are human.
        Several months ago, I got hooked on the Asian Chicken Salad from McD's. I don't like anything else there, except maybe the fruit parfait. So I had ordered a salad and a MEDIUM DIET COKE. This is important.

The drive-thru intercom sounded perfectly clear on my end. The lady inside sounded as if English might not be her first language, so I had taken pains to speak slowly and clearly. The first time, she repeated my order back as an Asian chicken salad, and a large Coke.

"No," I said, "a Medium Diet Coke." [I think diet soda is generally ghastly, but I'm type 2 diabetic and I'd just as soon get my empty calories elsewhere]

She said, "Small Dr Pepper?"

"No," I said once more, "A MEDIUM DIET COKE."

"Large Diet Coke?" she said, and I said perhaps the rudest thing I've ever said to a foodservice person, nearly laughing by this time with exasperation and all too aware of the line behind me:

"Sure, why not."

At least she finally got the beverage right, if not the size...
        He loves the world...except for all the people.
        --Men at Work

Comment

Hmmm anyone remember the movie "Falling Down" with Micheal Douglas in it? Well, he wanted breakfast, not lunch, but same idea.

I personally hate the 2 drive-thru lane places...cause no one can figure out how to merge.

And I hate that out here, 1 Mickey D's will start lunch @ 10, some at 10:30, and some @ 11. One does not start lunch until 12pm on Sundays. I would think McD's would want all stores to be the same. I know that not all of the stores around here are owned by the same franchisee, so thats probably the issue.
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Dual drive-throughs suck for me -- I am in it with everyone else from school during lunch... and I have a huge blind spot. So of course, I slowly creep forward, to show anyone in the other lane that I intend to go. That, of course, doesn't stop them from trying to squeeze between my van and the curb. (Hi. I need to be on the outside lane because my 17-foot vehicle cannot possibly negotiate that sharp of a turn from the inside lane)

At least I can always punch them at school afterwards.
            I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
            less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Okay i am the LAST person in the world to get rude with anyone in the food service industry but this one night I became someone else. So I get off work from a pizza place I might add and my sister and I go to the Mcdonald's drive through...i order one fish fillet sandwich...NOTHING ELSE....She reponds Two big mac....Ummmm no ma'am just 1 fish fillet by itself.....she comes back with A large coke..I again still polite say No ma'am just a fish fillet...and this point I think can she not understand what I am sayng but just before she went back off I HEARD THEM LAUGHING...so I repeat my order go up to the window and she saids I am sorry you should have spoken up...By this point my sister who never saids anything is livid she saids No had you stopped laughing you would have heard her and if you did your job right she wouldn't have had to repeat herself three times...so needless to say I said I would snatch her ass through that window...Did you hear that ( I was mad yes but I knew it was a game to them ) we worked really close by so we heard the stories of them doing this so customers would just leave..Hey can't blame them it sucks but I was nice with a really small order...I drove off and DID want my fish fillet!

Comment

Quoth georgiab View Post
                Okay i am the LAST person in the world to get rude with anyone in the food service industry but this one night I became someone else. So I get off work from a pizza place I might add and my sister and I go to the Mcdonald's drive through...i order one fish fillet sandwich...NOTHING ELSE....She reponds Two big mac....Ummmm no ma'am just 1 fish fillet by itself.....she comes back with A large coke..I again still polite say No ma'am just a fish fillet...and this point I think can she not understand what I am sayng but just before she went back off I HEARD THEM LAUGHING...so I repeat my order go up to the window and she saids I am sorry you should have spoken up...By this point my sister who never saids anything is livid she saids No had you stopped laughing you would have heard her and if you did your job right she wouldn't have had to repeat herself three times...so needless to say I said I would snatch her ass through that window...Did you hear that ( I was mad yes but I knew it was a game to them ) we worked really close by so we heard the stories of them doing this so customers would just leave..Hey can't blame them it sucks but I was nice with a really small order...I drove off and DID want my fish fillet!

Sorry, but this looks like something that should be posted on PFB. Of course, you will need to throw in you want free meals for a year and a personal apology from the Senior VP of Operations.
                If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

If it was recently, probably more appropriately a phone call made to the store manager. I don't believe that McD's responds to PFB anyways.

This is why Carl's or Jack in the Box is great, you can get whatever meal item you want all day long.

Comment

hehe I was at maccas the other day and asked for a cheeseburger, small fries and large diet coke ( i dont like regular)

they tried to give me a large fries, and small diet coke... three times.....but it was the lunch hour and they had 3 people working... I didnt cause a fuss, just gave my condolances, waited for the right order and went on my merry way, all the while the guy beside me was having a fit.

He wanted a "regular burger"... thats what he said, over and over "just a regular burger" (well to me at maccas that would be a big mac... or a cheese burger....) and the counter staff are trying to figure out what he speficially means by "regular"

as I walked out I hear this guys getting really angry "I JUST WANT A HAMBURGER WITH NO CHEESE!!!!!!!!"

well duh asshole why didnt you say that!
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Oh good lord people ask me that all the time. "I just want a regular burger." Fortunately I'm used to it, my customers are such picky eaters.
                      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

This is why Carl's or Jack in the Box is great, you can get whatever meal item you want all day long.
                        It's coming or so I hear...

The dual Drive-Thrus are at least as much a pain to us as to the customers. As for merging, the important thing is this: the customer who received their total first needs to pull forward first. I know it can be hard to guess, so the next thing is: get off the blanking phone and pay attention at the cashier booth. If you are asked if you had the five Happy Meals, don't say yes if you really ordered two shakes! If you just ordered a hamburger and are told a total of $40+, then NOW, *before* paying, is the best time to say something. Third, if you ignored the last one, and are now having to get a refund and the whole thing started over at the presenter's booth because you paid for the wrong order that you'd said was right, don't say you aren't on the phone while still holding it up to your ear and then go on and on about how *we* got the line out of order and you don't want any of it anymore and are never coming back.

The system only has two good points: 1) if someone is taking forever deciding what they want, other customers can still order at the other speaker (assuming it isn't a slow time where only one person is taking orders *and* the slowpoke didn't start ordering before becoming indecisive) and 2) if you are consistently handing out orders faster than your one speaker can take them, they do speed up the line. Doing this consistently enough to make up the time you lose when one or two pay for the wrong order, however, is next to impossible even for the best crew. And as a side effect, taking orders faster when you *can't* keep up only makes the wait times look longer.
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

"I'd like a Double Cheeseburger, Onion Rings, and a Large Orange Drink....."

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

Mike

Mwa-mwaah-mwa-mwaaah, mwa-mwa-mwaah-mwaah, mwa-mwa-mwaaa!-mwa-mwaah!!
                            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

Mike
                              Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                              Mwa-mwaah-mwa-mwaaah, mwa-mwa-mwaah-mwaah, mwa-mwa-mwaaa!-mwa-mwaah!!
                              I remember it, but can't remember from where.

Anyways, I hate the double drive through. They converted one of the McD's here from the three window setup (order/pay/pickup) to the DDT, and now I won't go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X