This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming of a white Thanksgiving...

No, we're not shoveling our lot. We can't hire a plow, because there are none available in town. Our town is not set up for snow removal...this is a bit of a freak incident we're seeing today. If I start to shovel the parking lot, it will take me hours and hours to finish, and by the time I'm done, enough snow will have fallen to cover up my progress again, so it's pointless. Besides, if you go out to the roads, they are not being plowed at all so far, so if you can't make it out of our lot (which you can, it's really not that bad, you're just too chickensh*t and/or unprepared for winter weather), then you're still SOL.

No, I am not a snow shuttle. While I can drive in the snow if I really must, and my car is equipped, I'm still not risking my car. Besides, I have work to do. I can't spend my day ferrying guests around. I already had to make one run over town to get coworkers to work; I'm not making another one. Call a taxi; they are the ones whose job it is to drive people around, not me!

No, you can't "pay me back tomorrow" when the bank is open. There's an ATM across the street. Drive there or hike there, I don't care. I can give you a few hours extra time to get there and back, but you're going to have to pay today if you want to stay tonight. It's a holiday, you should have known banks would be closed and should have planned accordingly.

Also, I'm sorry to the grocery store employees across the street. I normally avoid shopping on holidays in the hopes that someday, the demand will be low enough that they can give their employees the day off. Boss Man was shortsighted and ran out of flour for gravy, though, so I had to make a brief trip. Don't hate me. I have to work today, too, so I feel your pain.

And finally, to a far too significant portion of the drivers on the road, equip your cars already! Chains! Snow tires! Weight over your drive tires! I drove all over town today, literally one big loop to every corner of town, and all the major roads are plenty navigable if your car is equipped and you don't freak out. I saw a lot cars spinning out and fishtailing where they shouldn't have been, most notably a truck with a profoundly empty bed. As I told Hubs, it isn't the roads I'm worried about; it's all the other drivers!

*sighs* I want turkey and pumpkin pie...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

A fellow Washingtonian, I see. I feel your pain, I truly do.

Arghetlam@CS ~ $ sudo awesome

Comment

*hands bhs turkey & pie*
      "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

As depressing as it is to still be unemployed, it's been nice to be safe and sound at home, and not have to go out in the crap we've had the last few days.

I'm sure that bhs, Arghetlam, and other Western Warshingtoners here on CS, are well aware of the insanity that happened in the "big city" and outlying areas. Five, six, seven hour commutes, via private vehicle, public transit, or upon those failing, on foot for many people, including those whose normal driving/bus riding commute can take less than a half hour.

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

*hides and burns all of the thermometers showing today's temperature where he lives and declines to comment on his malfunctioning A/C*
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sorry you had to deal with SC's on top of the nasty weather! We're getting it tomorrow, so I guess it takes a while to travel here from your side of the country. And so I am profoundly grateful that I have the seniority to take this week off.

And no, I am NOT going shopping tomorrow.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

*presents a cake to Bh and a bottle of rum. Poors rum into a glass, hands BH the bottle and pours the rum on the cake.*

Enjoy. You've earned it.

Comment

oy getting flashabacks to driving in VA. the snow wasn't bad. The other drivers however.

thankfully though, after they all go home and hide, the roads are clear for the rest of us who know how to drive.

Comment

Ugh. That sounds like last January when the entire country ground to a standstill cuz of all the snow. Worst of all, the gritting lorries completely bypassed the village where I live and the town where I work, so I was physically unable to get into work til the snow had melted. -.-

And still, for the few people who managed to get to work cuz they lived within walking distance, there were all the whining SCs to deal with cuz there was a limited supply of milk and bread (due to the delivery lorries being unable to get in, yup, cuz of the snow!) and queues out the door. Some of these people ended up skidding round the car park, then finally coming to a halt, running into the store and heading to customer services to whine about the car park being ungritted.

It was gritted but it snowed on top of the grit and froze. Plus the store doesn't have an infinate supply of grit, just one outside bin which had been raided by SCs all day.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                    No, I am not a snow shuttle. While I can drive in the snow if I really must, and my car is equipped, I'm still not risking my car. Besides, I have work to do. I can't spend my day ferrying guests around...

No, you can't "pay me back tomorrow" when the bank is open...

Also, I'm sorry to the grocery store employees across the street. I normally avoid shopping on holidays in the hopes that someday, the demand will be low enough that they can give their employees the day off. Boss Man was shortsighted and ran out of flour for gravy, though, so I had to make a brief trip. Don't hate me...

As I told Hubs, it isn't the roads I'm worried about; it's all the other drivers!
                    I know I shouldn't be surprised by all of this, but I am anyway. Customers asking (or, more likely, demanding) that you give them rides because the weather is "bad" and they, as customers, deserve that kind of treatment?

And, what, do they expect you to pay their bills from your own pocket and trust them to come up with the cash later? Sorry, IOU's don't work anymore.

I also had to go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. It was relatively early as my local grocer was only open for a few hours in the morning and early afternoon, so I didn't feel horrible about it, but I did still feel a little guilty. It was one of those I-forgot-an-ingredient shopping trips. I was going to say thanks to the cashier for working that day so I could get my last-minute stuff, but he was too busy talking to the bagger about how stoned he got the night before.

And you're right about the snow thing. If you're where I think you are, I'm due south of you by a couple hundred miles. We got a freak snowstorm as well, and most of the roads were covered with crunchy ice in the morning. Somehow, several cars and trucks were still sliding across the pavement. I biked to work that day, and I think it was actually safer than driving because of the people who don't know how to handle ice and/or arrogantly think they can drive in winter conditions as if it was still summer.
                    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                    - IPF

Comment

I'm on the south coast-banana belt of BC and we got hit last week, got snow before most of the rest of the country. Thankfully we're back to the usual rain right now, but I'm sure that La Nina will be gifting us again.

Comment

Those of you that feel guilty for going to the store for one or two items....you need NOT apologize. Stuff happens and if you need it....don't be afraid to get it.
                        The jackholes that plan on doing their large shopping runs are the problem. Again...don't feel guilty for getting that one or two items you find that you need at the last minute.

Comment

Working...
                        X