This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Git

This happened today. I was serving an elderly couple, with a very grumpy man who I immediately named Old Git in my mind. He complained about the fact that we'd run out of this obscure brand of ham, even tho we stock loads of other ham, he wanted this obscure brand. Finally, they paid and finished... or so I thought. I started serving the next customer, only to have Old Git shout, "Excuse me, young lady, I haven't finished yet!" Old Git had only slung some of his shopping back on to the till he'd recently vacated. He then said rudely, "Haven't you got eyes?" Me (thinking) "Yes, but to my mind once you vacate the till you're done. Excuse me for not being able to read your addled old mind." I just ignored him; I hadn't done anything wrong, cuz he'd left the till! If someone leaves a till then slings their shopping back on, then it's hardly anything to do with me. He could have used the empty till next to me to sort out his shopping, but no, Old Git had to use my till. As he and his wife were leaving, I heard her berate him for rudeness. The last thing Old Git said in my hearing was, "I was not rude!" Yeah, and the sky is purple.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Yeah, and the sky is purple.
    Actually, fairly often, it is....especially during an Arizona or Florida sunset.

Just saying.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Not in England it's not, and I'm from there. In England, the sky is mostly grey and overcast.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

The sky turns purple around here every once and a while as well. We've got pretty interesting skies.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

What happens to people when they get old? Why are they so crotchety?
          My granddad is like that, and my mom says he never used to be. He's generally a happy man, no major health problems, enjoying his retirement and his grandkids. But get him into a store or restaurant, and look out!
          I don't eat out with him anymore, and if he wants help grocery shopping, I tell him to stay home and I do it myself. He's embarrassed me too many times.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I think it's a gene that lies dormant in people til they hit retirement age. O_o
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I think they figure if they've made it past the age of 60/70/80 etc, they can say or do pretty much anything they please.

Comment

I've seen plenty of polite, well behaved older people. It's like the general public. Plenty of good people out there. It's just the obnoxious ones that get noticed.

Comment

"I was not rude...I was PERSNICKITY!!!!!!!!!" :shakes fist in old man fashion:
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Get off my lawn!
                    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

ARGH! Why do old people feel the need to re-sort their shopping all the time? Old people often ask me to pack, so I do, but then they sit at the end and get in the way while they repack it all! I pack it sensibly; but they say things like "well, this stuff is for my neighbour" How on earth am I supposed to know that? Pack it yourself next time, and GET OUT THE WAY!

Comment

And like I said, if you've taken your shopping off the till, then naturally I will assume you're done! Damn old people and their assumption that we can read their minds! >_<

For the record, I've met lots of nice old people; it was just like was said earlier, the nasty ones are the ones you remember.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Many years, and a couple of jobs ago, a then cow-orker and I were discussing.....ummmm......constipation.

He commented that he could understand why old people were often cranky. He suggested that it might be due to the discomfort of constipation and such.

I also know, from friends that have dealt with constant, or recurring pain, they are easily agitated.

I too, have wondered why older people seem so cranky, perhaps that is it. Arthritis seems to be quite common amongst them as well.

Just like everyone else here, I've dealt with many cranky old folks on my current job, as well as all of the previous ones. Unless they are just totally rude or mean, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, considering the above mentioned, and the fact that they may be depressed, knowing they won't be getting any younger, or healthier, or perhaps they are widowed and lonely, and I will try to be patient with them. I've had many cranky old people loosen up after I've served them on several occasions, and have just made simple, friendly small talk with them.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are the Seniors that are an absolute delight to wait on. Whether they are the kind, gentle, Grandparently type, or the ones that have a great sense of humor, and positive outlook on life.

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

I love my uncle, but he's becoming a sucky customer in his old age and i can't take him anywhere anymore.

"Excuse me, I came to this very snowcone stand last week and the fella then gave me much more flavoring then what you put on. Look, the snow is barely cherry colored. Where is your manager?"

Comment

Working...
                            X