This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repetitive Stupidity on the Phone

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a positive correlation between the proximity of a phone to a person's brain and the amount of stupidity the person exhibits. My most recent evidence comes from a phone call I had today. This guy had no accent whatsoever, so I must assume he spoke English.

Me: (Store) Computers, this is HawaiianShirts.
    Caller: Yeah, um... Hello?
    Me: Hello! What can I do for you?
    Caller: Yeah, um... I'm looking for... I'm wondering... I'm looking for... You have a Tosh... Tobisha (overly enunciated as toe-BEEEE-shah)... I'm looking for a Tobisha.
    Me: You're looking for a Toshiba product?
    Caller: No, um... I'm calling... Do you have a Tobisha, um... A Tobisha gigabeet? A Tobisha gigabeet? Gigabeats? Do you have a Tobisha gigabeats?
    Me: I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.
    Caller: I'm looking if you have (that's exactly what he said) a Tobisha gigabeats? It's a little thing with buttons and a screen?
    Me: You mean like an mp3 player?
    Caller: No, it's more like an iPod. It's a Tobisha... Tobisha gigabeats. You have those, right?
    Me: I don't know. This is the computer department. Let me transfer you to the right person. Just a moment, please.
    Caller: Right on.

The repetition was annoying. His apparent lack of understanding was worse. He sounded intelligent enough to understand the world around him, so I don't suspect any disabilities. Just plain dumb. And the sad part is that he almost got "Toshiba" right on the first try.

Why do I always get stuck with answering the phone...?
    Last edited by HawaiianShirts; 01-23-2007, 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    Caller: I'm looking if you have (that's exactly what he said) a Tobisha gigabeats? It's a little thing with buttons and a screen?
    Me: You mean like an mp3 player?
    Caller: No, it's more like an iPod.
    These people are trying to make our brains melt out of our heads aren't they. What do they think a @#$%ing iPod is?

M
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

The repetition was annoying. His apparent lack of understanding was worse. He sounded intelligent enough to understand the world around him, so I don't suspect any disabilities.
      Can I suspect self-induced chemically-assisted disabilties?

Comment

There actually is a 'Gigabeat', believe it or not. However your SC was trying to spit out about the funniest mispronunciation of Toshiba I've heard in a long time.

Here's the site for those of you who are curious: Toshiba Gigabeat Website.

Comment

That is truly a "Clerks" moment.

Although, I must admit to pulling stupidity like this sometimes. There are times where I have seen something cool and when I go to look for it in a store, I can't remember the name much less how to pronounce it so it all comes out sounding like this guy!
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Can I suspect self-induced chemically-assisted disabilties?
            I was beginning to wonder that myself before the call was over.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Working...
            X