This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Match Muckups

Ah Christmas. You know it's that time of the year when you think Most Wonderful Time of the Year is highly sarcastic. (Granted, the song writer probably never worked retail.)

This month I've had 3 separate complaints on our Price Matching policy...

First time was for a computer print-out for the giant yellow tag. She wanted Black Ops for $39, per the print-out. which also said Trade-in over the price. and at the top of the page. and over the top of the prices of all the other systems with games listed. No, they wouldn't budge, but i had a few things going for me, Mostly the fact that the price markdown wouldn't go through without a CSM. Also thankfully, there was a CSM already back there when they went to pay, so I asked her to look at the print-out. After a few seconds of actually looking at it, she agreed with me that it wasn't something we do and told the customer we wouldn't do it.

Towards the end of the transaction she got on her phone and appeared to call Yellow Tag, who seemed to agree with her. Now, why didn't she think of that earlier? Granted, i would have had to talk to Best Buy to actually do anything, buuut given she did cop an attitude earlier... and it would have meant going against a manager... lady.

Second time was last week, where a couple had a Buy one, get one Half Off ad from We Are Toys. No, it's Price Match, not Deal Match. Not gonna do it. (Question time: To try to get SC off my back, is it prudent to call a manager, even if you know the answer?) Despite not getting said deal, like the last person, they also got the games, with the lady grumbling "I could put my kids through college with what i would have saved." and fake reeling back when i announced her total (3 new xbox games... you can roughly guess how much) ... If only i had an Oscar.

That taken care of, i did feel better from the next customer, who was a rather nice lady who wanted to buy a laptop, that apparently was on sale, because the price it rang up was cheaper than displayed.

Third time was tonight, and thankfully they weren't as sucky as the last two times, but it was a sucky time (Apparently tonight was Black Friday 2: Electric Boogaloo): It was a price difference between in-store and online. I pointed out that prices are sometimes less online than in-store. They then said Yellow Price Tag had it for cheaper... which i had to ask what the number was (bloody phone book not having the number) and called. (I hope i don't get in trouble for using my cell phone to call, but it was pretty busy at the time, so yeah.) Yellow Price Tag had it for about the same price, which I informed them about. They still wanted to argue, so i went over to a kiosk and brought up the site, pointing it out and saying that the Cell Phone site is unfortunately limited. Argument Defeated...

... For then, they spent a little while trying to get it ordered without going through the site or something... but they gave up in the end and bought it in store...

Bonus: As I was clocking out and heading to the restrooms, a Maintenance worker was going to clean the women's back restroom, and had "shut down" the restroom to make sure it cleared out so he could clean it. and was standing with the cleaning trolly outside the door Cue:

Maintenance worker: Sorry ma'am, the restroom's closed for cleaning.
    Old Woman: Well I'm going to the Restroom *and brazenly goes inside.*
    Me, Him, and 2 other associates back there at the same time:

Yeah, that just happened.

4 more work days until Christmas... and roughly 14 more days of it being Christmas Time Busy... Remind me why it's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year?
    Last edited by Project_Mars; 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM.

lady grumbling "I could put my kids through college with what i would have saved."
    i love how she bitches about the cost; maybe teach your kids about how money works and why they can't get everything they want? no? well then, boo hoo to you. set limits or stfu.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Project_Mars View Post
      the lady grumbling "I could put my kids through college with what i would have saved."
      So if she's wanted the games at that price, why didn't she go to the other store. I know petrol/gas is expensive, but it couldn't be that much?

Oh wait, if it makes sense...
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Despite not getting said deal, like the last person, they also got the games, with the lady grumbling "I could put my kids through college with what i would have saved."
        If she's worried about sending her kids to college, maybe she shouldn't be buying video games in the first place. That would add up to enough savings to send them to Harvard.

Maintenance worker: Sorry ma'am, the restroom's closed for cleaning.
        Old Woman: Well I'm going to the Restroom *and brazenly goes inside.*
        Me, Him, and 2 other associates back there at the same time:
        Well, look at it from her point of view. Old woman . . . may have had continence issues.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have to agree. There are times when waiting to use the restroom isn't an option. I'm not old, but I'm old enough to know that sometimes you're having a fine day and POW, something starts killing your organs with a hand grenade. Sometimes when your body changes (it's not just at puberty, children, savor your twenties and thirties and non-pregnant years and count your blessings) you get surprises. You can't always know exactly what the tiny little elves that live inside your body are going to spring on you next.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
            ...what the tiny little elves that live inside your body are going to spring on you next.
            In the words of Gomer Pylorus:

Suhpraz! Suhpraz! Suhpraz!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Website pricematching, ugh! *Big box retail* doesn't price match their own website, which is a terrible thing to explain to every person checking out with a $100+ gotta-have-it gift. After I politely and regretfully explain the website is run by a different entity and we don't price match the website, the person without fail will pull the website up on their i-phone and wave it around in front of my face. Which still doesn't change the fact that we don't price match the website. Double-bonus if the website is out of stock. There's a reason the website says price & availability will vary.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

[QUOTE=Project_Mars;842451] (Question time: To try to get SC off my back, is it prudent to call a manager, even if you know the answer?)

At our store: Yes.

I had this today. The customer was claiming Cadburys were £2.50 when that was our own brand price. I knew the signage and new the deal and said "I do believe that is our own brand not these I am afraid". Customer wasn't happy so called the supervisor and she said the same thing. Customer decided she didn't want the item.

Also had the same with beers on buy 3 for X today too. Same thing.
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I hate people who try to intrude when I'm cleaning the bathrooms. The last time I permitted it, the lady stole all my cash. They can go to the back bathrooms. Or else they can go straight to our competitor.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

and fake reeling back when i announced her total (3 new xbox games... you can roughly guess how much)
                    sheesh-xmas for the hubs=5 xbox 360 games.....I should see him sometime around february...maybe....
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

In the words of Gomer Pylorus:

Suhpraz! Suhpraz! Suhpraz!
                      yet another near miss on the violation of rule #1. one day, i will get caught.

i can understand the incontinence issue; i'd barge into the men's room. no worries, guys, i've seen it before, and no, i'm not impressed.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        Website pricematching, ugh! *Big box retail* doesn't price match their own website, which is a terrible thing to explain to every person checking out with a $100+ gotta-have-it gift. After I politely and regretfully explain the website is run by a different entity and we don't price match the website, the person without fail will pull the website up on their i-phone and wave it around in front of my face. Which still doesn't change the fact that we don't price match the website. Double-bonus if the website is out of stock. There's a reason the website says price & availability will vary.

From what i've heard the reason should be "because they don't have as much overhead as the store does, so they can charge less." or something like that. iirc, don't a lot of websites charge less for ordering online than in store?

Comment

Most do, and most will even ship it to the 'brick and mortar' stores for free.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                            Most do, and most will even ship it to the 'brick and mortar' stores for free.
                            'S what ours does, and we point it out enough. Sometimes we'll do free shipping to home, but it's a promotional type thing.

now that i think about it, i could probably use the fact that we don't compete with other star-marts or Star Clubs as reason enough. (Yes, prices vary from store to store. No, we won't match other stores. No, I don't exactly know why myself, I'm just the messenger.)

Comment

Yeah, the excuse I give customers for why the wholesale club's in-store price is higher than our online price is thus: "It's a convenience charge. You're paying for the privilege of getting it NOW instead of waiting for it to be delivered."

And everyone's accepted it.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X