This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Translation

So this isn't really an SC, it's a communication....issue.

Our sales office is the only distributor of our specific electronic components in the Western hemisphere - Canada, Mexico, US, South America, Carribean.

That having been said, it'd be -nice- if we had someone in the office who had more than a three-years-of-highschool knowledge of Spanish, but.

Occasionally we get 'Babelfish Casualties,' as we call them. Unfortunate customers that aren't sucky themselves, but royally suck to deal with because we can't understand what the hell they're talking about. And it's not their fault. It's the company's fault for being stupid. But I digress.

Today we had the best one probably EVER.

The email I received from him went as follows.

"GOOB

you are VERY PASIENTE WITH I CRUMB THAT it PUNISHES BUT he/she PLAYS to ASK WELL to BE ABLE TO to BUY,

WE REQUIRE 256 UNITS OF EACH ONE TO CREATE THE ONE BEFORE PROJECT.
    TO SEND COST OF THESE?
    TIME OF HE/SHE SURRENDERS WHEN PAYING EVERYTHING?

WHERE I CAN PAY THEM WITH CARD OF CREDO.

THANK YOU SEARCH ATTENTION"

I nearly cried, I was laughing so hard.

I know it's difficult for translation programs to do a proper job - I'm multilingual myself and know it's impossible to get a nonsentient program to get things right. But it makes me wonder if the emails we send to him are as ridiculous to him as this one was to us. XD
    Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

You'd think the company would hire one competently bilingual person to deal with the Spanish requests?
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

One would think so.

A lot of times these customers get fielded to me, as I said, since I'm multilingual myself.

BUT I SPEAK JAPANESE AND MANDARIN CHINESE.

Oi.
      Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

I keep saying "If it makes sense, it's not allowed".
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Btw if you wish, I could translate both ways spanish/english as a favor as long as it's not 200 letters a day
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Goob?

Even been to engrish.com? That's a hella funny site. It's about the Japanese tendency to string together English words that don't necessarily lead to a coherent statement, just because they like the way the words look (at least that's how Dave Barry explained it)

Here are a few of my favorites:
            http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?im...ate=2006-11-18
            http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?im...ate=2006-08-02
            http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?im...ate=2004-06-11
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post

"GOOB

you are VERY PASIENTE WITH I CRUMB THAT it PUNISHES BUT he/she PLAYS to ASK WELL to BE ABLE TO to BUY,

WE REQUIRE 256 UNITS OF EACH ONE TO CREATE THE ONE BEFORE PROJECT.
              TO SEND COST OF THESE?
              TIME OF HE/SHE SURRENDERS WHEN PAYING EVERYTHING?

WHERE I CAN PAY THEM WITH CARD OF CREDO.

THANK YOU SEARCH ATTENTION"
              I gave up trying to figure out what the first sentence means but I figured out the rest of it. What the heck language was it in the first place?
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                I gave up trying to figure out what the first sentence means but I figured out the rest of it. What the heck language was it in the first place?
                Hmm, my best guess would be, "Thank you for being patient with me, but we need the following quote before we can place an order."

In the origional language, anyway. The he/she thing is common translation for languages that don't have a plural inclusive pronoun, the rest just comes from years of dealing with crazy interwebbers.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post
                  A lot of times these customers get fielded to me, as I said, since I'm multilingual myself.

BUT I SPEAK JAPANESE AND MANDARIN CHINESE.
                  That happens more times than I can count. Had a friend of mine get hired because he was multi-lingual. They started fielding all Spanish speaking customers to him and he speaks German, Welsh, and Irish Gaelic.

Neither of which is a help to him on those calls.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Even been to engrish.com? That's a hella funny site.
                    Another site (well, more of a blog) which carries the same kind of stuff is
                    http://rahoi.com/

One of the product advertisments featured in the latest post promises
                    that "the woman of erotic apathy is remedied to be classy".

Comment

Working...
                    X