This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me or the waiter

Perhaps I was an SC. If so, well then too damn bad.

Last Friday night my wife wanted to try a new restaurant that opened in an historic district or our city. She loves new places, and I love that district’s architecture, so we hired a sitter for the kids and went to try it.

Turns out it is a new, trendy type of place, so I geared myself for something like sushi with radishes. Neither I nor my wife look anything coming close to “hip” (and did not fit in with the style of clothing other patrons were wearing even though we were dressed nicely), but our waiter approached us with a look that I could only take to mean he was not looking forward to serving us. I asked a lot of questions about what was on the menu and how it was prepared. Truthfully, I did not recognize many of the listed elements of some of the offerings and wanted to know what I was ordering before it was delivered. The waiter sighed, rolled his eyes a few times and spoke very condescendingly to me. I did not respond to his attitude only because I wanted to have a pleasant dinner with my wife - though she picked up on the waiter’s attitude as well.

The waiter delivered our drinks and our food. He then went over to some other tables and chatted with the more “hip” people sitting at them. He never once came back to ask us how our dinners were or whether we needed drink refills. Finally, he walked up to us, put the check down on the table and picked up our plates while saying he would be our cashier. I put down cash and when he saw it, he asked if I wanted change. (Showing a very rude assumption in my opinion that he was getting a tip.) Of course I told him I did want change. He sighed again and said he would be back. The bill was just under sixty dollars and I left six $1 bills on the table for his tip. In my opinion, he did not deserve even that much, but I have been a waiter and know how little they actually are paid by the restaurant.

As we were about to walk out the door, the waiter came up to us with the six bills in his hand and in a loud, very snotty voice told me I had left some change on the table. I turned, smiled, quickly snapped the bills from his hand, thanked him, pocketed the bills and told him how impressed I was with his honesty. My wife leaned over to me and half whispered that he was telling me his tip was not enough. I turned to her and with a lot of bravado said that that could not be true as the waiter had to have known that he was rude to us, ignored us, gave us terrible service and was not deserving of even a ten percent tip. I then said that this must be his way of returning the tip without coming right out and admitting how poorly he behaved. I next said that I thought I really should let the manager know of how honest this waiter was about his performance. The waiter’s dumbfounded look was priceless. I simply opened the door for my wife and we left.

She still is mortified that I did that. I think I pointed out my feelings rather well.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

You wife was right, but...

Damn, you rock!!!!!!!

I feel so conflicted...
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No matter which end you're on, waiterside or customerside, being treated rudely is not something you deserve.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
      Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

As a member of the food service industry for the last 20 years, let me say this: that waiter sucked great big donkey balls. Pardon my French, but that was terrible service, and I frankly thought you were merely reacting to his suckiness, not yourself being an SC.

And that story reminds me so much of my awesome Uncle Harry. Great guy. The kind of guy that would walk around in pants and an undershirt.....outside....in the snow. You know the type. Anyway, Uncle Harry only ever left 10% or 20%. No middle of the road for him. One day, after some bad service from a waiter, he left 10% on the table. As he was leaving, the waiter came up to him yelling "What's this?" Harry looked at him coolly, took the money from his hand, and asked calmly, "You don't think that that is enough of a tip?" The waiter said he did not. "Then you get nothing." And with that Harry pocketed the money and walked the hell out.

You sir absolutely rock!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Mysty approves!

It would have been one thing if it was still a nice waiter who seemed more scatterbrained than actually rude...I can forgive (and sympathize with) scatterbrained. Rude is an irritant. I'm afraid if I were treated like that, he might have gotten that tip, but treated to the old tip-in-an-upside-down-glass-of-water trick.

I don't know if I would have gone to the manager either. No real reason other than laziness there, though.
          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

One day a group of us took a friend to lunch at a really nice restaurant. It was her 50th birthday, so we wanted something really special. We went to a fairly new restaurant that was supposed to do some really special food.

It was a very California restaurant. Very nice design. All the wait staff wore white shirts, ties, and jeans. Like I said, California. The food was (I felt) a bit over the top for lunch. It was more what I would expect from a fancier restaurant for dinner. I ended up ordering an appetizer for my entree as nothing else sounded appealing. So did one other person in the group.

The waiter was a complete jerk. You would have thought I'd killed fine cuisine with my order. Same thing as South Texan's waiter. Rude, condescending, unhelpful.

I didn't make a scene or complain in any way because it was my friend's party and I was part of the group. But I swore I'd never go back, and I haven't, even though I now work only 1 block away.

A month or so later I saw a review of the restaurant and the reviewer had the exact same opinion as I had of the food and the waitstaff.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I was actually getting pissed when I started reading the post. Not because the tip wasnt big enough, but the fact you even left a tip at all. I actually felt better when I got to the end.

To me, as a customer, the BIGGEST factor toward a waiter/waitress getting a decent tip is the attitude. If they make a mistake and forget an item on the order no big deal, just as long as they're gracious about it and work fast to fix it and make it good. It's all in the attitude and how I'm treated are the things that mean the most to me.

Comment

You know, this site is called "customerssuck." Not "employeessuck." .... which is too bad, because you definitely found one sucky employee!

Tip? Yeah, I'd have left a tip, too. But not as much as you -- I'd only have left two cents. But your comments after he returned it made up for the difference! Remember, a tip isn't for doing a job, it's for doing a job better than required. Good service gets a good tip. Ordinary, plain service gets no tip. Bad service gets a noticeably bad tip.
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Surely it should have been obvious that you were new to the food's genre and therefore in need of assistance.

Actually, it would have gone nicely in 'sightings', which is more reserved for matters such as this - fancy it being moved?

Rapscallion

Comment

TIPS

TIPS used to stand for "To Insure Prompt Service." The basic idea was that at the beginning you'd have a certain amount of money on the table, say six dollars (probably less back in the day, but work with me). As the night went on, if you were dissatisfied with any part of the service, you could remove part of that money. The waiter would see this, recognize something was up, and work harder for your table. If you were satisfied with the recourse the waiter took you could add the money back. At the end of the night, whatever was left was what he got.

Kind of cool. I wish they still did that.

Elle
                    You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Some people still do. I suspect that died out when a standard percentage come into effect in the US, since the cost of the meal wouldn't be apparent until the bill was presented.

Rapscallion

Comment

I read once that in the 19th century waiters often were not paid at all by the restaurant, tips were their sole source of income.

Nowadays in the U.S. many states allow waiters to only be paid a little over $2 an hour (not California, everyone gets minimum wage, which is higher than federal) and they obviously depend heavily on their tips to make up the difference. I think it's called minimum wage for a reason, and everyone should be getting at least that amount, but that's the way it is.

Not tipping your waiter because they give you "average" service is wrong. Tip them 10%. And try to take into consideration what is their fault and what isn't when something goes wrong. Don't short their tip because the kitchen screwed up. That's something to take up with the management.

The restaurant being short-staffed is not the waiter's fault either. If service is taking some time, look around and see how many waiters are working. If they're obviously having to handle a lot of tables, then cut them some slack.

However, rude, short-tempered, condescending, failing to check in even once during the meal, etc. is definitely grounds for a tiny tip, even the two cent one if things are bad enough.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Good points all around. I'm generally a VERY good tipper, as I worked as a server in a bar and know just how poorly you can be treated, and how little $$ you can make. At the same time, I know how easy it is to treat your customers well. I'll tip the guy who delivers my pizza $3 if he's nice, even though I don't have to.

When we were in FL on a family vacation, we went to Hard Rock Cafe. No doubt this is a restaurant that should be used to tourists, and families with kids. Our waitress began the whole ordeal by giving my father attitude, and acting impatient with us. She then delivered us the wrong drinks, and when this was realized, tried to just switch them. Thanks, but I don't want the drink someone else has already been drinking out of. She got continually more foul-tempered, and in the end, got only 2 pennies as her tip. Just enough to make a point. Made me happy.

Go you. I do not think you were a SC, I think you made your point quite appropriately, given the way you were treated.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth PW_Elle View Post
                            TIPS used to stand for "To Insure Prompt Service."

sorry this bugs me-no it did not!!!!!!!

URBAN LEGEND

Claim: "Tip" is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness" or "To Insure Prompt Service."

Status: False. (acronyms did not exist until the 20th century!!!!!!!!!)

there were no 'TIPS'-labelled boxes into which thirsty pub patrons of centuries past stuffed their offerings in efforts to keep the libations flowing -- 'tip' entered our lexicon in much more mundane fashion. We've yet to find an acronym that predates the 20th century, and 'tip' (used in the sense of a gratuity) is much older than that.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth PW_Elle View Post
                              TIPS used to stand for "To Insure Prompt Service."
                              This is actually an urban legend...

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.htm
                              Last edited by NightAngel; 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM. Reason: NO NEED TO QUOTE ENTIRE POST
                              Stupid Things

Comment

Working...
                              X