This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Father, Like Son

Once again, I'm teaching the 4-6 year olds' class.

So we've gotten a few new kids in this class, and this story focuses on Hult. This boy has the attention span of a ferret on meth, and I constantly have to tell him to stand up, pay attention, stop bouncing/jumping around, etc.

My instructor, B, and I were wrangling to boys into doing their falls and Hult stopped even trying to pay attention to us. And I start to see the other boys look over and giggle.

I hear this rhythmic drumming noise and see Hult's dad using Hult's shoes to drum on the floor. Because Hult's dad got bored and couldn't sit still for 30 minutes.

I turned, made full eye contact with the dad, and when he saw I was looking raised one of my eyebrows. To his credit, the dad became very embarassed, blushed and put down his son's shoes.

At least we know where the son gets it from.

They say ADHD has a genetic component. Too bad you probably don't have the time to figure out if it's poor parenting or an actual disorder causing the inattention and inability to sit still.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I dated a guy when I was younger who had this nervous tick where whenever he had to sit down quietly somewhere, he'd thump his heel up and down rapidly on the floor, bouncing his leg.

He had four brothers.

They all did it.

They have nearly shaken loose a church pew on occasion. It was really kind of funny.

Comment

I have a similar nervous tic in my leg...and I can't control it. People have sat on my leg to get it to stop bouncing and failed.

Hubby has ADHD but he at least tries to behave. Years of video games have honed his attention into what it is now, which is fairly normal considering his ADHD...he almost can pay attention now.
        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I always just thought I was annoying; always changing the subject, never focusing on anything, etc. Then suddenly- oh, hey, you've been ADD for your entire 21 years of life, have some Adderall. I'm just glad I don't have ADHD, I'm hyper enough as it is...

Comment

My bf is ADHD. There are days I just want to duct tape him to a chair and leave him there until he can promise to settle down.

I love him, I really do, but he can sure drive me up a wall in no time.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              My bf is ADHD. There are days I just want to duct tape him to a chair and leave him there until he can promise to settle down.

I love him, I really do, but he can sure drive me up a wall in no time.
              THIS This is basically what I want to do with hubby sometimes...he's worst at church and times where he's supposed to concentrate on keeping quiet. It's like the act of trying to be calm makes him hyper.
              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Try coffee. If it calms him down instead of waking him up, it's probably AD(H)D.

Comment

Caffeine does seem to have the opposite effect on me, but I am not hyper normally..always pretty much have no energy. *shrugs* As for paying attention...Oooo shiny.....
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Bf and his brother have been on Adderall their entire adult lives. It actually has had reverse effects on the both of them, but their shrink still keeps them on it.

They react to it the way that a person who doesn't need it would. It speeds them both up, instead of slowing them down. There isn't any hope for either of them, I think, lol.

Don't take anything I say about him to mean that I'm a blanket judger or that I have no compassion for him. I feel dearly about my bf because his ADHD has given him a lot of problems in life. Simple things like remembering where a store is or what he wants to order to eat are extremely difficult for him.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My fella has attention and energy issues, though he has not officially been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but he does fit the bill for it. He's also an insomniac

I move at the pace of a stoned sloth at times, and I can comfortably sleep for 14 hours a day.

God help our children!

Comment

Panda, hopefully your kids will fall into the happy medium between the two of you!
                        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                          They say ADHD has a genetic component.
                          omg yes.
                          sis doesn't have it and was told that it was surprising how well she copes with the ADD/ADHD in her husband and eldest son.

her answer: I was already use to it from my sister (me).

so yeah, my family has it. in fact right now i should be cleaning the apartment ... heh.

http://www.additudemag.com/
                          i'd recommend this site for advice on how to cope with Hult and his father.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                            Try coffee. If it calms him down instead of waking him up, it's probably AD(H)D.
                            Sugar does this to me.
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                              the attention span of a ferret on meth
                              Is it bad that I really want to draw this now?

Comment

Working...
                              X