This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun on the Phone

In the solid waste department, especially on a holiday week, we get a lot of phone calls. People wanting to know if their trash is going to be on schedule that week, legitimate calls. Then we get this guy...

Me: Solid Waste Division, this is ___________
    Him: Hi, are you the people who pick up trash?
    Me: Yes, how can I help you?
    Him: You missed my damn trash on Monday. [It's now Tuesday]
    Me: Yes, sir, we are one day delayed this week.
    Him: Why the hell for?
    Me: Well, sir, Christmas was yesterday.
    Him: Am I going to get a refund?
    Me: Excuse me?
    Him: Are you going to refund my money for this week because you were late picking up the trash?
    Me: No sir, we always delay one day during holiday weeks.
    Him: Well, I should get a refund.
    Me: Sir, we don't do that. If your trash is out this morning, we'll pick it up for you.
    Him: I don't know why you people can't pick up the trash when you're supposed to.
    Me: Sir, were you working yesterday?
    Him: No, I am retired.
    Me: Well, those of us here who work for the city occasionally like to take a holiday on days like Christmas and spend it with our families.
    Him: You are a smart-ass.
    Me: Thanks for calling! -click-
    You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Quoth PW_Elle View Post
    Me: Sir, were you working yesterday?
    Him: No, I am retired.
    Me: Well, those of us here who work for the city occasionally like to take a holiday on days like Christmas and spend it with our families.
    BEEEEEE-ooootiful!!!! You were polite, you were professional, and you totally told him off

Seriously though, do people actually pay directly for their trash pickup? Here it's included with our residential taxes.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Trash Pickup

Yes, here residential service is a utility, so it gets paid for seperately. The Solid Waste Division actually receives no tax dollar funding.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Confusingly, our city picked up our trash on Christmas Day, New Year's Day...but didn't pick it up on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 15 for those outside the US).
        He loves the world...except for all the people.
        --Men at Work

Comment

You know, if he's old enough to retire, shouldn't he be old enough to know garbage pickup is almost always a day late on a holiday week? It always was when I was growing up, and sometimes still is.
          I say sometimes because my garbage company seems to double up or something, and aren't always a day late on a holiday week. I certainly hope it isn't because they work the holiday. I love garbage day and all, but you know some things CAN wait an extra day!!!
          Maybe he needs a hobby

Comment

Hmmm

Quoth Noelegy View Post
            Confusingly, our city picked up our trash on Christmas Day, New Year's Day...but didn't pick it up on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 15 for those outside the US).
            Yeah.... that's really weird.... I'm not really sure.

Comment

My whole life trash has always been a day late on holiday weeks, but I am unusual. All of the places I have lived have had pickup on MONDAY morning. It seems no matter where I go I can't avoid the Monday trash day. My friends with Thursday and Friday pickup usually don't get a delay except for Thanksgiving. I think what they do is work overtime on holiday weeks. So they are caught up by the end of the week.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                That's... weird. Really Weird.

Ah! Obviously the business was run by a black teetotalistic atheist (fundamentalist-style atheist, of course. By-god-there-is-no-god! type).

Comment

Working...
                X