This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some disassembly required? <Long>

A few years back we rebuilt a motor for a customer and shipped it back to them. There were some problems with it, such as the manfacture for some insane reason put a groove in the bearing houseing then let grease spew into the windings. Messy as hell, but as long it is still given grease the bearings won't go bad. Also the type of bearing that was used also shifted slightly, as it is suppost to. This also can't be seen when assembled.

Anyway, we send the thing back. A few days later we get an angery call from them. First they complain about the grease (we warned them), then about how crappy the bearing was. Which is odd since it was new and passed out tests.

So as the other guys are out on a call, so I am left behind to recive the motor. No problem, I just act as a pair of arms attached to legs and move it off the back of the truck.

Then things take a turn for the "Huh?". We were suspicious of their complaints for the bearing. After all, how could they see it? Well they could see it when they compleatly dismantled the motor (violating the hell out of the warrenty.) And by compleatly, I mean compleatly. Even the parts thet have to do with power were dismantled.

So the brain surgeon that dropped it off proceeded to ream me out about what a crappy job we did. Even implying we put the weird grove in the bearing houseing. As well as using substandard parts, like the bearing, which he showed how it was broken, by shifting it back and forth, in exactly the manner it is suppost to. I took the oppertunity to mouth "You f****** moron." as he was turned away. (I'm passive aggresive, so sue me.)

I bearly contain my laughter until he leaves. When the guys get back I explain what happened, and we call them to explain that they now have to pay for the reassebley of a fully functioning motor, and no were not going to charge less then last time.
    "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

Because of course this guy was a qualified mechanic. All you need to diagnose specific engine problems is a rubber hammer and a set of socket wrenches
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Hmm...the entire thing was pulled apart, even the parts that made it run? The ENTIRE thing?

Hmmm...tweakers, maybe?
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Sigh... where's the trust anymore?

"I understand, sir. We are fully-trained and certified; this is why the warranty requires that you send the part back to us. But you can't ever be too careful when it comes to manufacturer-refurbished parts. So why don't you have your unqualified laymen over there just take it apart and make sure? Also, if you could, make sure a few of the more vital screws roll down into a storm drain... oh and do try to bend a couple of the components so that they no longer fit in place anymore. Thanks!"
        "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
        -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
          Because of course this guy was a qualified mechanic. All you need to diagnose specific engine problems is a rubber hammer and a set of socket wrenches
          Works for me!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

My headpipe wasn't connected to the exhaust manifold properly... slight gap. My solution? Breaker bar against the transmission to force the pipe back in place.

The engine never sounded better
            I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
            less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

If it don't fit into place, force it, if it breaks, you needed a spare anyway.....
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
              X