X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The meaning of "pre-order"

Main Entry: pre-
    Function: prefix
    1 a (1) : earlier than : prior to : before : preparatory or prerequisite to : in advance : beforehand

Every year we go through this. We offer one of our TV sets as a pre-order online. It clearly states in bold, BIG letters that it is a pre-order and the product will not be shipped until it is released in March. Usually, the fans go wild and start pre-ordering. Two weeks go by and suddenly, I'm getting angry emails on why their order hasn't been shipped yet. Last I checked, today is January, right? The release date and ship date on the website is March. Huh.

Not only this, on their invoice they get through their email, it states that it's a pre-order and ship date is in March.

Yet, I still get pissy and angry emails on why it hasn't shipped yet. Every single day. Does no one know what the meaning of pre-order???? Has anyone else come across this?
    "You can try to control everything in your life or you can just let it go..."- Viggo Mortensen

I've had people who order vehicles directly from factory. We tell them it will take 8-10 weeks from order to delivery.

1 month later we get the call

"Where's my car? I ordered it like forever ago, shouldn't it be there by now"

Me: "Well sir/ma'am we told you it would be 8-10 weeks until delivery"

"Well it's taking too long, I want to be called as soon as it gets in or I'm taking my deposit back!!"

We usually get another call within 2 weeks, similar dialogue, only more angry and persistant. They think threatening us, or even showing up to the dealer will speed up the process. Jeez....

Comment

Quoth Jazz View Post
      Does no one know what the meaning of pre-order????
      I know the meaning of pre-order!!!!! Usually, it's for the latest MetallicA CD.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I get that when it tells the customers that shipping is 6-12 business day (not including holidays and weekends). Usually on the 6th day (not BUSINESS day), I will get an angry call and then again on the 7th day, the 8th day, the 9th day...until their package actually shows up. Then they complain they shouldn't have to pay that shipping charge because it arrived late. Huh????
        "You can try to control everything in your life or you can just let it go..."- Viggo Mortensen

Comment

How about trying to explain to customers that a pre-order is NOT a guarantee of recieving product??

In a lot of cases at our games store, we start limited/special/collector's editions of games before we know for sure what our quantities will be. Not a great system I know, but that's the way we've done it for awhile. In most cases, the manufacturers tell us they'll be able to cover presells, but then they get way more presells than they expected and suddenly quantities are limited.

I know you have a shiny piece of paper there, but you were 11th on the list and we only got 10 in, sorry dude, no game for you. We make it a point to tell EVERY SINGLE PERSON who preorders that the slip does not guarantee them anything. You think people listen?

Comment

Well, it's actually a guarantee that they will get one. They usually pay for it beforehand so that their copies is saved but yeah, they are going to get one. But they don't realize is that they are buying it before it's released. It's released in March, they are buying it now to reserve their copy. But they don't understand that by pre-ordering it...it doesn't mean that it has been ordered that day and will be shipped out that day!!!!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
              How about trying to explain to customers that a pre-order is NOT a guarantee of recieving product??
              We get the same thing with rainchecks. When that product comes in stock again, the customer will be notified and will have two weeks to pick up the product at the rainchecked price. But sometimes, without our knowledge, the product is closed out immediately after our sale on it, and we don't get any more. Rainchecks guarantee price, not product. I don't know how many arguments I've gotten into with customers over it. They usually complain that they "ordered it" and so should be entitled to it or that I am pulling a bait-and-switch or that I'm ripping them off (you can't be ripped off if you aren't paying for something...) and eventually demand to speak to a manager.

Argh.
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

Working...
              X