This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs in your family. [Rather long]

I come from a large Italian family. I have inadvertantly been yanked to the metropolitan area where my mother grew up, and now, have several support strands of my extended family (her five brothers and sisters and their families as well as her father) helpfully forming a noose of support tightly around my neck.

As a 24-year old, two years out of college and the only one of twenty-some cousins who is actually doing something with her life, they have a pretty good chokehold on me and I am expected to make a showing at every single family gathering, regardless of my plans. ("I would think, Precious, that your family would take precedent over your silly night out with your friends that you've been planning for two months and two of them are flying in for specifically.")

The problem with this is that my large Italian family is the biggest cluster[word] of SC's I have ever encountered. Entitlement, picky, non-understanding, snotty...Every possible problem you could have. I HATE going out with them. HATE it. Because it's inevitable that we're going to piss off the waitstaff or whoever we're dealing with.

One of my favorite examples is when we went to a middle-eastern restaurant for my birthday last year. (I'm not a huge fan of middle-eastern cuisine, but guess who picked it out, loves it, and wanted to go? LA FAMILIA. And I'm not picky, so whatever.)

My youngest aunt is the worst. She ordered some falafel appetizers and picked them apart once they came, declaring that they were 'not quite right.' She called the waiter over and whined to him about how they 'weren't right' and they looked different when she made them at home. To his credit, he was very patient with her and told her exactly what she was doing wrong with her recipe.

Of course THIS went over well.

My aunt, instead of understanding that she was doing her cooking wrong, and actually let the people running the restaurant DO THEIR JOB, insisted that they take the falafel back to the kitchen and cook them THE WRONG WAY.

This is about the point where I'm head-tabling repeatedly.

The waiter takes back the food, brings out another plate of falafel. My aunt whines about how it's still 'not quite right' and mopes about how 'it's good enough, I guess I'll keep this plate.'

I apologized to the waiter on the way out for the horrendous way she was acting.

Another incident was for my uncle's birthday - we went to this Italian place. Now the food was kind of sub-par and the service was not very good. How would you react to this?

A. If you don't like the food, then shrug it off and don't come back, leaving a little less tip than usual for the poor service.
    B. Whine about it constantly, demand reparations, and yet greedily shmooze up the $5 giftcards that are given out because certain meals were ordered.

Personally I'm an 'A' girl myself, but.

Over the course of the carnage, one of my other aunts-by-marriage got annoyed with my passive response to everything, and snidely said, rather loudly, "Honestly [TQ], your mouth is good for something other than stuffing food in it."

I wanted to make a comment so badly about how I didn't want to know about her nightly forays into five-dollar prostitution but I remained silent.

Every. Time. I have gone out with my family, I've gotten humiliated and had to be the one to pick up the pieces with the poor waitstaff and the management that my aunt involved in everything. I'm glad to see them look grateful that SOMEONE acknowledged that the family was being horrendous, but it's terribly embarassing.

Goodness that went on forever.

Ever been embarassed by SC's in your family?
    Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

My aunts and uncles are BEYOND fantabulous (cousins as well).... I actually learned everything I ever needed to know about dealing with people from my favorite auntie. In my family, it's my PARENTS who are whiny, bitching idiots. Ironically, my mother told me off when she took me to HER favorite restaurant (ho-hum little diner-type place with less than stellar food.... they made my greek salad with ICEBERG lettuce and GREEN olives - ugh!) because I didn't enjoy the food.

Any outing with my parents is sure to ellicit at least one utterance of "we're never going THERE again" from my dad. It doesn't matter what the problem was... he complains. The DAIRY staff don't know exactly where the Wasabi is in the store? "We're never coming to THIS grocery store again!" (mind you, my mother has been shopping at that store, and that store ONLY, for the last twenty-three years). A few months ago, we went to THEIR favorite pizza place, which happens to be near my house. Now me? I could take this place or leave it, and I don't like going there with my parents, because they always insist on getting peppers and mushrooms on the pizza (I'm allergic to peppers, and I just don't like mushrooms). Last time we were there, the place was *packed*. Of course, my parents had insisted on my children coming along - I had actually tried to use them to get out of going *sigh*. Well, since it was packed, service was a bit slower than usual, and my kids were getting impatient.

My dad was bitching *loudly* about the slow service, about the rowdy people at the next table (they were joking and laughing, nothing rude or obnoxious at all), about the kids misbehaving (they're 5 and 7, and they were bored stiff). I ended up leaving my own tip after my parents had left, because my dad wouldn't let my mom leave one (hint: if it's your favorite restaurant and you're there at least once a month, don't EVER neglect to leave a tip!!!), and apologizing profusely to the waitress and the owner before heading outside to join my family at the car.

My mom's just as bad... can't go to any fast food place without bitching about the quality of the food (duh, it's FAST FOOD, what did you expect? Filet mignon and Chardonnay?), the price, the facilities, etc. *sigh*

I think I'll just never go out with them again (incidentally, EVERY time I eat at my parents' house, I have digestive issues *grumble*)
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post
      I wanted to make a comment so badly about how I didn't want to know about her nightly forays into five-dollar prostitution but I remained silent.
      Quote of the week!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
        Any outing with my parents is sure to ellicit at least one utterance of "we're never going THERE again" from my dad. It doesn't matter what the problem was... he complains.

I thought I was the only one, with parents like that. We could be at Dennys, and if they do not bring out another refill of coffee, then we are not going to there again. We could be anywhere, if there is a wait, then it is the end of the world for my parents.
        Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM. Reason: Don't. Quote. Entire. Post.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Have you considered finding a job that requires relocation?

Comment

My father is a bit of an SC. It's not that he's a nasty person -- he's just old and crotchety and doesn't give a crap anymore. Mostly, he's just demanding and flirts with anything female and pretty. (The flirting isn't pushy, and is usually well-recieved, as he can be really charming when he wants to be.) I sometimes want to crawl under the table when I go out with him, though.

I used to know someone who was horrible to waitstaff. I'd talk to her about it, and she'd get defensive and say that just because I was willing to let people walk all over me, blah, blah... That is, until one day, I learned how to stop her. I started apologizing for her terrible behavior while she was sitting right there with me.

EF (evil friend): This hamburger looks off. Can't you people get anything right?

Waiter: Um. Okay. (Takes burger, brings back new one)

EF: (sulks, doesn't thank the waiter)

Me: Thank you so much for doing that. I'm really sorry about my friend being so demanding.

(Repeat, repeat, repeat away!)

She yelled at me over it a couple of times, and I just kept on repeating to her that I felt really bad for the waiters, and so I was going to keep apologizing, and that was that. Eventually, it got too embarrassing for her, and she started behaving while I was around. Amazingly, the service we got when we went out got better! I stopped spending time with her a short while later, though. She was an overall icky person, and I was better off not keeping up the friendship.

I've never used that tactic with me father though. It wouldn't work. He'd figure out what I was trying to do, and be extra rude, just to mess with me.

Comment

Quoth Arachne View Post
              I stopped spending time with her a short while later, though. She was an overall icky person, and I was better off not keeping up the friendship.
              This reminds me of a quote that I have read somewhere (possibly someone's sig on this site ) :

"If someone is nice to you, but not to the waiter, then they are not a nice person."
              -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
              -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                I can't remember who said it, but:

"Happiness is a caring, loving, close-knit family--who live in a different city."

Quoth BusBus View Post
                This reminds me of a quote that I have read somewhere (possibly someone's sig on this site ) :

"If someone is nice to you, but not to the waiter, then they are not a nice person."
                Dave Barry is the genius who made that quote. Hopefully somebody will know who said my quote

Anyways, my friend swears that he served my girlfriends mother once. Apparently, this woman that he served was the only customers that ever made him want to cry. She was demanding, pushy, demeaning, and made rediculous demands. (she wanted to know the depth of a bookshelf, so he got one out of the back and read the dimentions. That wasn't good enough, so she made him open the package and take out the shelf.) I have yet to go shopping with my girlfriends mom, so I'll have to wait for an official word back. But from what I've seen of her, I think my friend is mistaken.
                Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 01-25-2007, 02:44 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Oh man, I hate going out to eat with my grandmother. She's always rude to the waitstaff (I'm always super nice to our waitperson to make up for her suckiness) and, I don't care how wonderful the rest of the family's food was or where we went to eat, she always leaves and says "well... it was okay, but (dear lord, I hate that word) *add whatever complain of the day she has here*"

Once, my mother ordered the same thing she did and when I asked her about hers later, Mom said that she liked her food really well.

Comment

My family's (brothers and sisters) actually really great to go out with. I don't get to do it very often because I work 2nd shift but when I do go, it's always a great time. We were raised to be thankful for whatever was put in front of us and to eat it without complaint. I can remember complaining one time when I was just a wee little girl and my mother knocked me on my ass.

Personally, anything that I don't have to cook always tastes great to me and I would never dream of giving the people who handle/prepare my food a hard time.
                    Last edited by Retail Associate; 01-25-2007, 05:30 AM.
                    Retail Haiku:
                    Depression sets in.
                    The hellhole is calling me ~
                    I don't want to go.

Comment

My father has the unfortunate habit of thinking he's funny.

We're talking really thinks he's funny...

Rapscallion

Comment

Arachne, that's a good idea. My family is actually fine going out. I have a couple friends who could use wakeup call, though. One in particular is a real pain when we go out. While she's not over the top rude, her manners with waitstaff could use some improvment big time.

Actually, she treats all strangers like that. I think it comes from living alone way too long.

When we go out, all I can really do is try to be a good example, and always have my courtesy turned to 11. I've said to her (when the waiter wasn't around) things like, "you know, it doesn't matter. This is a great meal, and it's great to be able to hang out like this." or "Wow, it's so busy in her tonight. the waitstaff is really hopping!"

Maybe I ought to take it a step further and start apologizing to the waitstaff in front of her. I mean, why should I be the only one embarassed, you know? Excellent idea. Maybe it would make her think.

Comment

Not my family...

Well, it's not MY family, but my best friend's family I have a problem with. First of all, they're her parents (well, it's mostly her stepdad not her mom), and they ALWAYS refuse to pay for her dinner. Now, I know she's 25 and all, but still. I'm 25 and my parents won't LET me pay for my own dinner when we go out.

This particular experience was on her birthday. We went to this really great restaurant and ordered a ton of food. We had appetizers (the parents didn't chip in), so I ended up paying for appetizers for 6 people. Then, the dinners came. Not a word all night, just pleasant conversation. The service was great, they didn't complain. Then the checks came, and they told my friend her part of the bill. HER PART OF THE BILL? It's her birthday! I paid it, because I wasn't goign to let her pay for her dinner on her birthday.

So anyway, here's the kicker... we had spent 150-170ish dollars there that night. Drinks, appetizers, food, etc. And they didn't leave a red cent for tip. Now, in Washington State, it's better than most states - waitstaff there actually makes minimum wage per hour (it was 6.72/hr when I was working there) and then they took 8% of your sales. So, if you had one sale of 15 dollars, then only 1.20 would be deducted from your paycheck. But, with 170 dollar bill, that's a decent chunk out of your check. So, on top of everything else I paid for, I had to pretend I left my purse inside, run back in, and hand the waitress 40 dollars, apologizing profusely.

And guess what I found out... her parents NEVER tip. They don't think they should have to.
                          You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

I'm trying. The truth of the matter is I'm working in Detroit right now...and the fact that it's Detroit combined with the fact that all my family is here... well...

The job I'm in now, they hired me because I speak Japanese. But I'm getting almost no practice and the language is slowly slipping away from me. D: I'm getting married in April to someone who lives across the state, where I went to college.

So if any of you know of any openings in or around Grand Rapids, MI for a Japanese speaker who can type 93 WPM, send me a PM!

Then maybe I'll escape...

Staying on topic, though, I'd forgotten completely about my father.

My dad is okay at restaurants, but with everything else he's terrible and embarassing. I recently had some car trouble....and by 'car trouble' I mean 'series of strange events that led to my engine blowing two rods.' When I told my dad what happened, he was positive it was a scam.

Which it very well may have been, to be honest.

But the conversation he had with the towing and engine repair company? It was on speakerphone, so I was [lucky] enough to overhear...

SD: Silly Father of ToasterQueen
                            MG: Mechanic Guy
                            TQ: Watashi

MG: <Towing Company>, how can I --
                            SD: My daughter's car is at your location. The 2000 Olds Alero.
                            MG: Oh yeah. The one with the shot engine.
                            SD: We will be having the car towed to another location.
                            MG: Okay, where to?
                            SD: I don't think you understand. We will not be doing further business with you.
                            MG: Okay sir, who will be -
                            SD: I have heard the whole story from my daughter, and I'm afraid the police are involved at this point.
                            MG: ......
                            TQ: *FACEPALM*

They have my car, dad. Don't tell them you've got the police on their tail when they STILL HAVE MY CAR! T_T

Yeesh.
                            Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

My Daddy was always one of those people you did NOT want to get when you were a waiter in a restaurant. He threw a fit if a waiter said something like "The kitchen is backed up" because he said the waiter should take fault for everything. You were lucky if you got a 15% tip from him, 20% was unheard of. He would be very picky about things and raise hell about things that didn't need to be raised hell about.

That is, until his darling precious baby girl (namely, me) started waiting tables and we saw what I actually made and heard what I went through. He and my momma came to the restaurant for dinner one night and he watched the table next to him and said he wanted to cuss them out for treating his daughter like that. Then I told him they weren't half as bad as he usually was. He shaped up real quick after than and started leaving much better tips once he realized that's how people paid their bills.

Though I do credit a good portion of why I'm so good at waiting tables to my father. I learned well from hearing him rant and complain about what the servers had done "wrong".
                              "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X