This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sexism at it's greatest

Now this one is from my mother, back in her days in the trenches determining who gets unemployment.

Back in the 80s and 90s all interviews were conducted in person at the local unemployment office. Now it is all done by telephone and unless the person is in a special unit, there is no way to meet the workers face to face due to threats, vandalism, and other issues. All of the small local offices were consolidated to four big call centers in 1996.

Prior to the consolidation my mother worked determining unemployment. Each worker had an office, and they would go out to the waiting room, call in their next appointment, and have the interview in their office while typing away on one of those new fangled computer thingys. My mother had an appointment with one such unemployed gentleman (and I use that term loosely) who through out the interview insisted on calling her sweetie, little girl, and other 1950s secretary terms terms. He would also lean across the desk and point out parts of the statement that he wanted the wording changed on, and go out of his way to try to make her feel inferior. My mother dealt with it, knowing that once the interview was over she could just get rid of the case. At the end of the interview the man sat back, apparently content with his work and asked my mother,

'Now sweetheart, what is the name of the man that will be making the decision on my benefits?'

My mother smiled so very sweetly at him and said in a voice dripping with honey, 'I will be making all the decisions on this case.' She said that you could practially see his heart stop and then restart at double the rate. His face turned beet red and he stomped out like an angry child.

The man got angry (probably realizing that he had been a sexist pig and had hurt his chances with that whole first impression stuff) and complained. I don't think she got written up, but she always says that the look on his rapidly reddening face when she told him that was worth every minute of his sexist behavior.
    "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
    - James Joyce

My mother had something like this happen. She and my father were out trying to buy a car and the salesman didn't even look at her except to ask her what "color" she wanted the car to be. In the end when they were determining prices and the dealer was looking very smug and happy at my father, my father turned to my mother and said, "I dunno, dear, you control the checkbook, what can we afford?"

And that's when the poor salesman realized he'd been talking to the wrong person the whole time.

Comment

I'm the one in my family who's the best suited to making a decision on the condition of a car. So .. bring my husband, he occupies the salesman while I'm examining the radiator fluid, studying the dipsticks, eyeing the panelling for signs of damage....
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Great stories!

I have one that's a little different. Friend of mine went to his doctor back in the early 70's to get a vasectomy. He & his wife had one child and didn't want anymore, and he felt that since it was a much less invasive procedure for the male than the female, he'd be the one to get "fixed." The doctor had to get his wife's signature for permission! Nowadays they do that to prevent lawsuits in case the other party tries to claim "damages", but at that time, the law actually required it.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth nicolecj View Post
          The man got angry (probably realizing that he had been a sexist pig and had hurt his chances with that whole first impression stuff) and complained.
          About what, exactly? Ugh.
          There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

How dare the person he was supposed to kowtow to act like just a lowly secretary!
            </sc>

... idiot.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Nowadays they do that to prevent lawsuits in case the other party tries to claim "damages"
              Say what now?! Anything further I'll take directly to fratching.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Great stories!

I have one that's a little different. Friend of mine went to his doctor back in the early 70's to get a vasectomy. He & his wife had one child and didn't want anymore, and he felt that since it was a much less invasive procedure for the male than the female, he'd be the one to get "fixed." The doctor had to get his wife's signature for permission! Nowadays they do that to prevent lawsuits in case the other party tries to claim "damages", but at that time, the law actually required it.
                That probably isn't a bad idea, though.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  I'm the one in my family who's the best suited to making a decision on the condition of a car. So .. bring my husband, he occupies the salesman while I'm examining the radiator fluid, studying the dipsticks, eyeing the panelling for signs of damage....
                  You remind of Ben Kingsley's Dr. Watson in the movie "Without A Clue"... Michael Caine played Sherlock Holmes, who was really just an actor filling a role that Watson created. Holmes distracts the locals while Watson really solved the crimes.
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I love the scent of pwnage in the morning. It smells like victory.

That moron put his own head on the block. I certainly don't pity him.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      Say what now?! Anything further I'll take directly to fratching.
                      In other words, if the wife tries to sue the doctor because he or she "interfered with her ability to have kids" or something of that nature.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

mom's also the one who talks price when buying cars. and yes she's also the one who handles the finances

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          In other words, if the wife tries to sue the doctor because he or she "interfered with her ability to have kids" or something of that nature.
                          And further, in non-Fratching style, in the case of divorces and lawsuits over secret vasectomies.

Comment

Quoth FArchivist View Post
                            And further, in non-Fratching style, in the case of divorces and lawsuits over secret vasectomies.

I would also assume the same in cases of infiedility or paterity. HMMMM I had myself snipped and you got pregant. how did THAT happen???? can you say Virgin Mary????
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

This happened a few yrs ago.

I was working at the customer service desk. A lady comes up and screams that she wants too see the manager now. I ask her what her issue is so i can get the right manager. She woudnt tell me. But she did say "get me a man manager they are the only ones that know what hey are doing" I told her that I only saw woman managers today but i will see.

Being a little bitch i went over the walkie and said "I have a lady that wants to talk to a manager but she only wants to a male"

The lady managers(thats all that were there at the moment) were none to happy w/ her.

The customer wanted to go higher to district than but guess what the district manager has a manly sounding name but is a woman!!!!

I still wonder how mad she was when she called in.

Comment

Working...
                              X