This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to report you

Okay we are a well known thrift store and our hours are Monday-Saturday 9-4....Well today (saturday) we are locking up just as a man and woman come up to the door...I politely apologize and say that we are closing ...So they begin to rant about how it'll just be a minute and so on. Again I apologize suggest that they can come back Monday morning as we open at 9 am. So the man proceeds to say that i am not nice and it's the salvation army and I should be nice :Note: I have been extremely polite and was never once out the way to them. She saids well you could have a 20.00 sale and I again say I am sorry I must start closing proceedings to which he storms off Yelling that he is going to report us blah blah blah and so on. So as I am cashing the register out my co-worker saids he's yelling something at you ( I can hear him along with every other buisness around) but I do not look up and just continue to close out. I will be honest I don't appreciate anyone waiting till the last minute ,literally, to decide that they need something but to act like such an ass about it when I was polite professional and never lost my patience..It just irks me and another thing if you plan on spending 20.00 it's going to take more than a minute.....So anyway I wonder what will happen with all this.....

What is with people that can't understand "We close at such and such time". That means the doors close at such and such time, not, as long as you are here by that time you get to come in. god, i'm anti-people today! i'm going to the movies and hide in the dark with my popcorn. :insert csslave's popcorn avatar here:
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

when i am working for other people i care less if anyone would spend 20 dollars on during closing, i aint gonna get overtime anyway, and as long as i get my paycheck on friday i dont care if the store is gonna meet the target sales for the month or quarter.

when i am working at my dad's store i probably would care if the guest would spend 20 dollars during closing of the day. However, i usually told the customer, "Tell me precisely what you want, and i will tell you if we have what you want, then we can finish this sale in 1 minute" The fact is... if the customers come to the store they pretty much have an idea what they are looking for. If they told me they just wanna look then I usually tell them to come back another time.

Comment

To whom, I wonder. Our restaurant has a nasty habit of closing early, usually by fifteen minutes or so. On several occasions when I've turned away customers I've received a response of, "You have to serve me, it's the law."
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

"its a private property, I can turn away anyone or kick anyone out, it's the law, too"

Comment

My point is if you knew what you wanted you had all day to come in and buy it don't decide to wait until a store is closing to get it...that's your problem not mine. I opened and closed the store at the hours that are posted!

Comment

GRRRR I hate the 'Five O'Clock Charlies'. It really doesn't effect me at ALL...as I'm just a greeter....and can leave right at closing time, I have no closing responsibilities, per se. I do help with what I can, but I don't have to. But it ticks me off for the reps who have to deal with them. They work 10 hour days or more, NEVER take lunch breaks, (they're entitled to half hour I think...maybe an hour...but they only take 10 minutes to eat) Plus we close at 8...they, if they're lucky, are out of there by 830 or so. Thats IF there were no customers from 730 on. Customers will come in at 8 pm on the DOT to do an insurance claim--which takes upwards of a half hour or more. The reps will give them the insurance company's phone number and tell them to call them and get a claim number then come in the next day. Customers get pissy over this. They want to call the insurance company from OUR store. WHY? To waste our time? If that's what you want, come in during normal business hours, for God's sake.

I'm anti-people most days...

<gives bookstoreescapee popcorn avatar>
              Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

I could see maybe making a last minute (before they close) run to a grocery store/wal-mart/c-store, because you really need something specific (like milk or eggs or whatever).

But who in the hell makes a last minute run to a Thrift Store?
                If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
                  I could see maybe making a last minute (before they close) run to a grocery store/wal-mart/c-store, because you really need something specific (like milk or eggs or whatever).

But who in the hell makes a last minute run to a Thrift Store?
                  bargain hunters.

Comment

I used to work for a big department store corporation that wasn't open 24 hours. What I didn't understand was how people would come up and hour after close and bang on the windows and scream "Helllllooo!" And I would go up to check on them and they would ask :duh: "Are you closed?" One time I actually had somebody with the audacity to ask "why?" I would just simply point to a sign posting our store hours. I've seen reactions from walking away dejectedly, to dropping s-bomb and f-bombs and the frantic peeling of tires as they try to make their anger heard round the block. I even endured a customer's speech on why we should be open 24 hours....um you are talking to the wrong person, I have no control over what corporate mandates us to do. No amount of stomping and screaming and tires squeeling can change that.

Comment

Quoth uthdentroll View Post
                      when i am working at my dad's store i probably would care if the guest would spend 20 dollars during closing of the day. However, i usually told the customer, "Tell me precisely what you want, and i will tell you if we have what you want, then we can finish this sale in 1 minute" The fact is... if the customers come to the store they pretty much have an idea what they are looking for. If they told me they just wanna look then I usually tell them to come back another time.
                      My step-father is notorious for pleasing his customers. He really does go out of the way to make them feel welcome and appreciated. When they still had the kiosk, it was commonplace for him to take orders or make sales or fix watches long after we closed the till and put the tarps over the cases and locked everything up. Any of those sales went on next days business. I guess small businesses have to be lenient in order to grow and become big impersonal businesses one day!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth uthdentroll View Post
                        bargain hunters.
                        No. Incompetent rude stupid inconsiderate bargain hunters.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Reminds me of my days working as a waitor at a buffet style restaurant. We would close at 9, so that meant the buffet would start being broken down around 8:50. People would show up at 8:45 and get pissed beacause the food wasn't fresh or we were taking it away. I had been known to lock the doors at 9 with customers in and people would be mad b/c there were people inside still eating and they thought they should come in too. My reply, "They arrived before we closed, but we'll be more than happy to serve you tomorrow during the time we're open."
                          They would always reply "Well we didn't know your hours."
                          Me, "They're on that giant sign you passed when you pulled in."
                          I guess they shouldn't have set their phasers to miss-Mike Nelson

Comment

Quoth SCSlave View Post

I'm anti-people most days...

<gives bookstoreescapee popcorn avatar>
                            Aw, thanks...

I recommend people go see Night at the Museum if you need a laugh. I Dexter the monkey
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

A REAL bargain hunter would show up right when store OPENED.

By close most of the good stuff is gone anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X