This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I hear in my department

These are just a few of the oddball things I have overheard, or have been asked, while being a paint slinger.

Yesterday. "Lady" on cell phone. Talking way loud. So loud, in fact, I could hear her over 3 paint mixers. She didn't seem angry, but who can tell?
    "Lady" (in quotes because I use that term loosely): "WHAT DO YOU MEAN? SHE SAID THAT? WELL, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT HER HUSBAND. HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SATISFY HER, THAT'S FOR SURE. HE SURE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING FOR ME!" Blah blah blah. Yes, talking about infidelity, in a public place, very loudly.
    Bravo.
    ---------------------------
    It's been cold the last few days and especially nights. We've had freeze warnings/watches/advisories for about 3 days now. For Florida, it's rare, but not uncommon.
    Me: "La la laaaa" (yes, I was actually saying that.)
    Guy: (Rushing up to me) "Hey, chief. Where are the snowblowers?"
    Me: "This if Florida, sir."
    Guy: "I know that! But we're having a freeze tonight. I want to be prepared."
    Me: "This is Florida, sir."
    Guy: "I know that! I know where I am! Where are the snowblowers?"
    Me: "We don't carry them. We don't get snow here."
    Guy: "But the Lowe's up north carry them. So you should, too."
    Me: "Oh.. in that case, try aisle 27, in seasonal. Next to the lawn mowers and hammocks and garden care.
    Guy: "Thanks!" Rushes off to find a clue.
    Overheard married couple.
    Wife: "What happens if I mix this red paint with a quart of yellow?"
    Husband: "Knowing you, a big mess."
    Wife: "Asshole."
    Friday night. Young teens hanging out in the store. 2 of them have those wonderful Heelys on. One at one end of an aisle, the other kid opposite. They decide to play chicken.
    "Get out of the way, dude!" "No, you get out of the way!" "Move, man!" "Nope!"
    THUD! CRASH! "Ouch."
    Me: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
    Guy: "So to clean oil-based paint off my brushes and hands, I need mineral spirits or paint thinner."
    Me: "Yes sir."
    Guy: "Okay. So how do I clean the mineral spirits off my hands?"
    Me: "You could lick them clean, but I recommend soap and water."
    Mom to her young daughter: "You don't have a big room, so I think 3 gallons should just about do it."
    Three gallons will just about do a whole house.
    "May I have a big paint stirrer (5-gallon)? It's fantasy night tonight!"
    Me:
    Lady comes up to me, wants a color made up. As I grab the can, she asks; "Can I have paint that doesn't contain lead? I don't want my child licking the walls and getting lead poisoning."
    Young blonde woman comes to me. She wants a color made in our most expensive paint. She is painting her living room (shocking pink! ewww) and wants 4 quarts.
    Me: "4 quarts?"
    YW: "Yes, please. That's enough to do a 10'x15' living room, right?"
    Me: "Yup. But I'll make this into a gallon. It will save you money."
    YW: "Will a gallon be enough? I don't want to run short."
    Me: "No worries. 4 quarts = one gallon. "
    YW: "Are you sure? I was told to get 4 quarts."
    Me: "Positive."
    YW: "I'd better get the 4 quarts. That's what I was told to get, so that's what I want."
    Me: "Is all this paint going into the same room? It's not getting split up to a different room?"
    YW: "It's all going in my living room."
    Me: "Are you sure you don't want a gallon?"
    YW: "A gallon won't be enough. Please, just make the quarts."
    Me: "Okaaaayyyy...."
    I make them, hand them over, and watch her walk to the checkout. When she is told her total, her face goes , but she pays it. She paid about $46 for 4 quarts, but would have paid $26 for a gallon.
    Ahh, ain't nothin' like a Florida education!
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Didn't Orlando get a minor snow dusting earlier this "Winter"? I wonder if they broke out the kitty litter and the shovels?
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

Aparantly that's nothing like any education...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
        hey ! Quit earwigging on me and my husband !
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Knightmare
          If I remember from my kindergarten color wheel, that would make purple...right? (stirring my paint. lalala)
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Wow. You've got some winners down there...
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Red and yellow would make orange. Nice color for a 69 Camaro, not so good for walls. IMHO
              This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Yesterday. "Lady" on cell phone. Talking way loud. So loud, in fact, I could hear her over 3 paint mixers.

Oh boy, I had to deal with one of those a couple of weeks ago. (Well, not me, a co-worker). He was showing her some watches out of a case, her phone rang, she answered it. Instead of saying, "excuse me," to my co-worker and continuing the call either outside or somewhere else - she opted to take it right there in front of him. She was so loud, I could hear her clearly across the store. Poor guy couldn't leave though, since he had a rack of watches out (as she was blabbering on her phone and still perusing the watches).

Her conversation went as such: Her digital camera got stolen over the weekend as well as some credit cards. Then she went on about whos name should and shouldn't be on the new replacement cards. And some other stuff as well, I can't quite remember it all.

"Hey, chief. Where are the snowblowers?"
                Canada.

"Can I have paint that doesn't contain lead? I don't want my child licking the walls and getting lead poisoning."
                Sounds like one of those things they'd say on, "Here's your sign."
                Last edited by karma_gypsy; 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM. Reason: Color!
                This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                  Red and yellow would make orange. Nice color for a 69 Camaro, not so good for walls. IMHO
                  I don't know, vermilion's a nice color for a drawing room. It fades gracefully, too.
                  You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

personally, i think orange goes best on, well, oranges.

but then i have one of those skin tones that just doesn't mix with yellow/orange based colors...

i look much better in red...or blue...or Purple! stirrin' more paint...deedleedee

ok, i just like the stirring smiley and i'm in a mood...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                      I think it looks pretty good on a 69 Charger as well.

(Rushes off to watch Dukes of Hazzard DVDs.)
                      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                      X