This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Foulfingers

We have this notoriously awful customer who seems to spend 100% of his waking time whining and insulting people - either using the relay service to berate workers from any one of the many welfare programs [not sure this is the right expression] he benefits from, or being an asshole to relay service employees themselves. So he calls last night, asks for Canada Post. I connect the call, but our modems are slow so I can't press 2 for French quickly enough and get disconnected. I inform the SC of the fact we were disconnected, try again 3 times straight, it never works. So I ask him if he has another number I could try, and he simply hangs up. Not worth a post so far.

Then he calls back and gets the girl next to me. He types a single message, in essence accusing all relay service operators of performing oral favors on female elephants. (gross blanked out but so imaginative I had to include it, highlight if you dare), and hangs up. The girl, who was already sick of his temper from a few previous encounters, grabs her cellphone and snaps a picture of the screen (which doesn't blank out after a caller disconnects, only when the relay operator does). Somehow she manages to get everything to show up clearly - relay connection time, her agent ID, the caller's number and message - and then goes to the supervisor to file a report against the guy for his abuse. In the meantime he calls back, I answer him, again he just types a blast of abuse and hangs up. I don't have a cellphone at the moment so I had to write everything down, but after I did, I went to the supervisor and that was added to the report.

As far as I know, the company or its employees don't legally have the right to refuse service to any person who needs it to communicate, but I do hope that with a big enough pile of the shit he gives us, we'll be able to demonstrate that what he does is more abuse than use, which might possibly allow us to refuse to serve him.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

As a public service (and not knowing Canadian law) you may not have the right to refuse service to him, but on the other hand I'm sure Canada has laws against assault. Assault does not require physical contact. (That's battery - as in battering, not as in electrical.) Verbal and emotional assault are both recognized as being quite real. I'm sure you could bring some sort of charges of verbal assault against him, especially if (and if not, why not) your calls are recorded - including the text side of the call.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I don't know if calls are recorded or if I can legally access these records, but pictures of a computer screen showing what the jerk typed may be acceptable evidence. In any case, I'll try and organize something with coworkers to have solid documentation of his abuse from multiple sources before I try anything against him.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Better yet, see if the company itself will do the heavy lifting. After all, they're more likely to (a) have experience in this area and (b) they may even have an attorney on-staff.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Company policy as far as I know is the supervisors document incidents as reported by operators, but not much else seems to get done.

Anyway, it's not like I feel really threatened by that guy or anything* - although he actually managed to come into the call center on one occasion, before I was employed there. My point is simply to show him that you can't be a dick to people and get away with it forever.

*Oh, idea. I could argue that I've been deeply disturbed by his accusations and demand compensation.
          Yeah. Right. I wish.
          Last edited by taurinejunkie; 03-19-2011, 01:53 AM.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Being deaf does not give anyone carte blanche to be an asshole.
            Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I agree with you 100%. But it seems like I'm forced into doing more of the corporate version of "good customer service" than I'd like.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Working...
              X