This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Benefits of Lines

At the retail that I'm employed with, we have a good setup. There are four cash registers (generally, only two or three are open at a time) and ONE line at the end of the cash registers. This is important. ONEONEONE line. At the cash register area I am usually scheduled in, the signage is not as visible as I would like it to be, but it's there.</bg>

For some reason, customers like to pile up real close to the customer that I'm checking out. I don't get it. It makes me feel really uncomfortable and can make my customers uncomfortable too. I've even had this happen when I'm off the clock and checking out my purchases (mmmm sweaters <3). The policy at my store is that we politely direct the customers to the "LINE FORMS HERE" sign due to security reasons (sometimes, transactions require phone numbers, addresses, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS). So many customers seem to take offence to this and has led to TWO incidents in two days.

Friday

I'm attempting to ring out a customers purchases who had two young (and well behaved) boys who liked to ask a million questions and I was trying to listen to my manager handling a minor taxing issue (clothes got taxed when they shouldn't have...). While this was happening, a small line was forming, so I directed this elder lady to the sign with my usual spiel, "If you don't mind, Ma'am, the line forms under the brown sign over there."

Apparently, this woman took offence to me telling her where to stand and refused to have me check her out. Whatever.

Thankfully, my manager took my side and told me that she heard the entire exchange and new that I wasn't rude at all. -sighs-

And this leads me to today...

Saturday

Same song and dance. Checking out one customer and this guy is dragging a box (high chair?) and gets REAAAAAL close to my customer. Again, I respectfully point out the sign and thank him for heading towards it. I finish off with my customer and I get the box puller.

BP: Sucktastic Customer
    Me: Hi!

BP: -comes over to my register- You know, I take mild offense to you telling me where to go.
    Me: Well, I'm sor...
    BP: There was no line behind me.
    Me: I'm very sor...
    BP: -snaps at me- No, I don't want your apologies.
    Me: -persistent- (I hate people cutting me off mid sentence) I'm sorry sir, but polic...
    BP: Look, I don't want to hear it, just check me out.

Funny thing is that the thing he was trying to purchase was not allowed to be sold (probably recalled), so he just gets an attitude with one of our managers and I and just huffs off. I, on the other hand, managed to hold myself together for one more customer (love this woman and I would have done anything to check out her purchases, she's a sweetheart) before I left for my half so I could have a good cry.

Bleh.

BP: -comes over to my register- You know, I take mild offense to you telling me where to go.
    If only you could.

And, really....mild offense? That's it? What a wuss that guy was.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If I wasn't so darn upset, I would have been tempted to refuse the sale and tell him where he could stick his offended attitude. But, I'm the bigger man...obviously lol

Comment

The correct counter to "I don't want to hear . . . " Actually, you'll need to find somewhere else because I'm going on break.

Then you leave.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I think the next SC that cuts me off and tells me to just ring them out will be faced with, "Actually, let me get you my manager. They can assist you better than I can."

-moves to another register-

Can I help the next person IN LINE please?

Comment

Working...
          X