This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to the Bullpen (I was the SC)

Lies, and the lying liars who tell them. I was a sucky customer today. Hopefully by posting this story on here i will absolve myself of any Sucky Customer karma.

When I got in my car to come to work this afternoon, the bastard didn't start. Dead battery. Probably because it's like 8 degrees in St. Louis right now. The parking lot at my apartment was empty, Mrs. Getoutofmylobby was at work and my friends all live far away so i went to the office complex to get a jump start from the sales agents. Then it got really fun.

Me: Hey, is there anyone here that can help me? I need a jump start.
    Salesdude: Uh let me see if i can get maintenance. (tries, fails)
    Salesdude: Uh, nobody's in maintenance...
    Me: ...so can you help me? I'm in the building across the street and I have cables.
    Salesdude: Not possible, I mean, we're not allowed to leave the building.
    Me: (ok, you leave the building to show apartments, and there are three of you here) Oh, it'll only take a second, i promise.
    Salesdude: Sorry sir, i'd get written up.
    Me: What? For helping a resident?? I can't believe that!
    Salesdude: There are a few liability issues.
    Me: <SNIP>We don't condone violence</SNIP> Sure there are. Guess i'll start walking, thanks for nothing.
    Salesdude: Sorry... I can call for a taxi if you need it.
    Me: &!@# you...

Man, i was pissed. I called my wife at work who simply said. "I'll call you back." Minutes later the salesdude pulled up and sheepishly helped me jump start. Didn't say a word to me the whole time, even after i thanked him.

I asked my wife later what she said. "I just threatened him." Redheads.

You know, there have been times when I have lied to a customer. That room type is sold out, we have no more housekeepers here tonight, etc. But i have never refused to help someone. What the hell? Did he think he was going to lose out on a potential sale or something?

MOD EDIT:
    I am going to assume the wife in this thread threatened this poor guy's job in some fashion and not with physical harm or vandalism.
    We don't condone violence and vandalism, etc.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 02-01-2007, 05:47 PM.

Yes, us redheads are pretty awesome.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
      Indeed we are.

Comment

It happens and we all have our moments. Sending good karma your way...

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

Maybe you and/or your wife could find out more about those "liability issues".
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I know our security department won't jump start people's cars, for the same reason. The mall security people who drive their little car around the lots will not do it either and they state 'liability issues' when asked.
            I guess their insurance won't cover it if someone's car gets damaged by putting the wires on the wrong way, or blows up or something.
            Just sayin'
            I no longer fear HELL.
            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
              I know our security department won't jump start people's cars, for the same reason. The mall security people who drive their little car around the lots will not do it either and they state 'liability issues' when asked.
              I guess their insurance won't cover it if someone's car gets damaged by putting the wires on the wrong way, or blows up or something.
              Just sayin'
              At Cottonwood Mall in Albuquerque, all of the security guys carry emergency jump-start thingies (can't remember what they're called). I had to avail myself of their assitance once.

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
              I second (or is it third) that! Very few people have the sense enough not to piss off the redheads!
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

There is a difference between being a custoner and having a sucky moment.

Most sucky customers start off being sucky from the start and do not even attempt to be polite or nice. They just rip out your spleen and start jumping on it as their way of saying "Hi, I have an issue that needs to be resolved"

Whereas most of us here who have had to have sucky moments only do so when we are faced with sucky retailers who will not listen to reason and will refuse even the simplest of requests. to use the example above, we who have sucky moments will rip out their spleen and start jumping on it after we have started the conversation with "Hi, I have an issue that needs to be resolved"...then going "Uhm, I have a receipt dated yesterday and my ipod won't work"...followed by "I'm not asking for my money back, just a replacement one that works"...followed by "But you sold me this yesterday. It's still under warranty"...etc...etc...until you finally snap, reach in and yank out the greasy, oily rag that they call a soul.

Being sucky is a tool that we all use when needed...kinda like a sledgehammer. Sadly most Sucky Customers use it all the time. Sorta like trying to drive a finishing nail into a jewlery box with the aforementioned sledge.

M
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I used to be a redhead

Now I'm a ravishing brunette

Or at least I tell myself since I don't have the money or patience to keep up with coloring my hair...

I was born dark brown (almost black), turned red till I was about 2, then went brown and stayed there. Oh well.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You need a new battery
                    Champion SubZero batteries do good. -15°F with the windchill... van started right up after sitting out overnight.
                    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Your car doesn't start in 8°F?? yikes. (it goes down to -50°C here)
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Threatening employees to get what you want IS sucky behavior. The fact that the behavior was commited by someone who happens to be a member, or spouse of a member, of this board makes it no less sucky.

I hope that everyone here who has condoned this remembers that it's apparently okay when someone threatens you, when you're the employee, to get what they want.
                        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                        HellGate: London

Comment

While sucky behavior, the OP did admit to the suckyness (spelling?) of his behavior and I am not condoning it but I can understand where the OP was coming from in regards to someone refusing to helping him.

As I said, I'm not condoning it, but I can understand how and why he went to sucky behavior.

JMO!

Kibbles

Comment

Look at it this way...

If the OP was the employee who wasn't supposed to help jump start cars, and he was posting about how HE was cursed at, and threatened, we would all totally be 100% on his side, correct?

So how is it right to high-five someone for doing what we all complain about, just because they're a board member/board member's spouse?

Comment

Like I said, I'm not condoning it or high-fiving anyone..but I can understand where the OP was coming from. No, there was no need for the sucky behaviour, just saying I can understand his perspective that's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X