This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Woes

Now the beloved photography studio does everything from restorations to passports to family portraits, but the bulk of our income, especially in the summer, comes from weddings.

And that's where the woe begins.

One bride in particular stands out; she wasn't a relative of mine, but the relative of a close family friend.

Mom and I started the day with a portrait. The couple were getting married in a few months, but wanted a few pictures in their wedding duds - she had an amazing Japanese style dress even though she wasn't Japanese - and they were a blast. They were fun, chatty, both really attractive and just a riot to work with. I remarked later that it was a shame that we only got to spend an hour with them, as they were so nice.

Onto Bride-Demon.

BD was young and spoiled all to hell. The family was clearly well off, but none of them were entitlement whores, just way too indulgent. BD was also quite young, as I recall, not quite twenty if memory serves. Although to be honest, it wouldn't have shocked me if she was a four year old trapped in a twenty-something's body, because that's the way she acted.

BD makes us go all the way to Niagara Falls for her formal pictures, which is quite a drive and crawling with other wedding parties in the summer because it's a beautiful park overlooking the falls and it has plenty of locations.

BD was young, thin, blond and bitchy. Now we can do formal photos in a half hour; it's just fast and there's not as much variety, but all of the shots will be quality. Ideally, an hour will get everything done and ensure at least a couple of sets of various groupings to choose from.

Right after the first group shot, BD starts up: 'Are we DONE yet? Can we GO now? Are we DONE yet?! It's hot out, I'm hungry. Are we DONE yet?!"

And she just would not shut up. The group was well behaved, nobody drank enough to be obnoxious, but the little drama queen wouldn't shut her trap about wanting to leave! I swear at one point I could hear my mother grinding her teeth.

Now, there are several consults before the wedding and we always tell couples to bring some snacks for the formal shots because usually the wedding party is too nervous to eat before the ceremony and you certainly don't want them going through a Mcdonald's drive through and ruining their appetite before the reception (sad, but it's happened.)

Usually couples bring sandwiches and beer and stuff. Sometimes pizza. What does this genius bring for her 10+ wedding party? A bag of oranges.

So finally we were done and my mother and I were quite rage-filled on the way home.... and of course she wasn't happy with her pictures.

I did get satisfaction in finding out that apparently none of her extended family like her all that much
    "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
    - Raven

My bet on the divorce date is three years, two months.

Comment

Are we done yet? i want to divorce. I want to be alone. are we done yet?
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

she just needed a good solid slap and a tranquiliser or 3.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Spoiled brats ruin my day.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

There is a special hell that is wedding photography. And bridezillas make it 100xs worse.

I feel your pain. Did it twice this summer for family friends and after the 2nd one that was a nightmare - that's it, no more unless I get paid at least twice as much.

Comment

I had a photographer I almost worked for who gave me this advice-

Never do photos for family weddings. You are either a guest or a photographer. Never both. If you are the photographer, you should be PAID.

Too bad... it was a small mom and pop shop that just didn't have enough business to hire me that summer. I would have loved to have done more professional work. *sigh* ferking digital era...
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Actually....

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                Never do photos for family weddings. You are either a guest or a photographer. Never both. If you are the photographer, you should be PAID.
                It's kind of a joke that I've never been to a wedding where I wasn't working That includes uncles, aunts and cousins. Basically, my parents (the studio owners) and I will do the wedding. Usually what happens is that the happy couple gets their pictures for free, along with an upgrade album, but it's understood that this is the wedding present on behalf of my entire family. It's a good deal.
                - Raven

Comment

hehe every family wedding I've ever been to, I've catered. If I wasn't catering, I wasn't invited (well, granted, not too many people have gotten married in my family in the last 15 years, and before that, I'd have been considered a child and not invited anyway). My niece's wedding, two summers ago, was the best Except my (at the time) two and a half year old daughter was being a PITA, so I didn't even get to see the ceremony (I took her out of the tent so she wouldn't disturb the rest of the family). *sigh*
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Writer Cath View Post
                    It's kind of a joke that I've never been to a wedding where I wasn't working That includes uncles, aunts and cousins. Basically, my parents (the studio owners) and I will do the wedding. Usually what happens is that the happy couple gets their pictures for free, along with an upgrade album, but it's understood that this is the wedding present on behalf of my entire family. It's a good deal.
                    I guess that's a little different...
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Okay, although I am the Orthodox Jewish of seven and I am usually much more polite, I have to say this.

Does she say, "Are we DONE yet? Can we GO now? Are we DONE yet?!, " to her poor husband as well?

Comment

Ohhh, you're cruel.

I love it.
                        - Raven

Comment

Quoth imal'sheva View Post
                          Okay, although I am the Orthodox Jewish of seven and I am usually much more polite, I have to say this.

Does she say, "Are we DONE yet? Can we GO now? Are we DONE yet?!, " to her poor husband as well?
                          I wonder if she says this to the hubby during marital relations.

"Are you DONE yet? I want to go to sleep. Are you DONE yet?"
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                            I wonder if she says this to the hubby during marital relations.

"Are you DONE yet? I want to go to sleep. Are you DONE yet?"
                            "Is it in?"

I've heard that's far more effective.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X