This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from roadside...Pt. 2

Actually this would just be a tale from Roadside Assistance. No multiple stories as of yet. With our car rental company we offer a coverage called Loss Damage Waiver (LDW). It's not insurance coverage, although most people refer to it as that. What it actually does is waive our right as a car rental company to make any claims agains the renter's insurance for ANY damage to the vehicle. This is very important. If someone decides not to take it, that's fine, as long as they have rental car coverage on their personal car insurance they're usually ok. Here's where it gets sucky. If said person does not take the LDW, and gets a flat tire, they are responsible for that tire. It's damage. It's a simple concept. Some people perfectly understand this. Most people don't, and refuse to.

Well one day I get this fabulous old customer. He tells me he has had a flat tire. No big deal, I get these at least once an hour. So, I verify all his info to make sure it is him. I pull up his contract and no LDW. So I go through my spiel of being able to set up service for him. That we can send someone out to change the tire, but he is responsible for paying whatever service provider (basically a tow truck) that we send out.

At this point he gets pretty pissed. He goes on and on telling me why he's not paying for the repair on the tire. How he will not pay for someone to change it. How it's our fault he had a flat. He told me earlier he had a nail or screw in the tire. He'd had the car for about a week and a half. Pretty sure it didn't leave the lot that way. So he tells me that we WILL send some one out from OUR company to change it free. At, this point his trying to figure out what buttons to push to get what he wants. It's not gonna happen.

Still, I try to be helpful. I ask him if he has AAA. He does. I tell him that they will come out and service a rental car. FREE TIRE CHANGE! Most people are okay with this. Not this guy. He tells me he will not use one of his service calls on one of our vehicles and that he would have better satisfaction from having one of our people come to change the tire. Cool. The tow truck (not anyone from our company, remember) is gonna charge him $65 and it'll be about an hour. Funny thing is, the people that we send usually are contracted with AAA as well.
    I guess they shouldn't have set their phasers to miss-Mike Nelson

Quoth roadside View Post
    Funny thing is, the people that we send usually are contracted with AAA as well.
    Yup. Most rental companies - as well as Manufacturer - Lexus, Mazda, BMW, Mini-Cooper (to name a few) - use AAA for their roadside assistance programs. Sprint - they use AAA - Enterprise & Hertz - AAA.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I *always* sign up for the LDW when I rent a car. I don't have personal insurance (no car) and even though I'm a very cautious driver, the other idiots on the road aren't always, so it's always best to pay a bit extra for the coverage just in case
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I just had a near repeat of the same situation. The customer didn't havd LDW, again. She had a flight to catch. I told her it would probably be about 30-45 min. (if she's lucky). She said she'll call AAA because they'll get someone out there right away. In downtown Baltimore. Getting close to rush hour. I'm guessing she's a magician.

David Copperfield watch your ass....you have competition.
        I guess they shouldn't have set their phasers to miss-Mike Nelson

Comment

Quoth roadside View Post
          I just had a near repeat of the same situation. The customer didn't havd LDW, again. She had a flight to catch. I told her it would probably be about 30-45 min. (if she's lucky). She said she'll call AAA because they'll get someone out there right away. In downtown Baltimore. Getting close to rush hour. I'm guessing she's a magician.

David Copperfield watch your ass....you have competition.
          Yes, people do think that AAA has the power to press a button on our keyboard and beam them a truck!
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
          X