Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mind taking your "urgent phone call" somewhere else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind taking your "urgent phone call" somewhere else?

So thanks to selling at an Artists' Alley at a con this weekend, I actually have something to post in this forum!

Overall, selling at the con was great. Most of the people who stopped by my table were great, and I didn't get anyone telling me, "Oh, I can make that myself for cheaper!" or anything stupid like that. In fact, this story isn't about any of my customers, it's about a set of non-customers that invaded.

See, the Alley at this con has specific rules about not blocking the tables for anything. The only reason there should be cosplay photos taken within the Alley is if one of the artists is either the one taking the photo or the one cosplaying, because they can't get out and wander as easily as the regular attendees. If someone has an interesting table but it's crowded, you're not supposed to block their neighbor's table while waiting for your turn. You're not supposed to use an artist's table as a repository for your bag or food or anything like that. And you're certainly not supposed to have random meet-ups and the like in front of tables that take forever to clear up. It all blocks the artists from being seen by potential customers. For the most part over the weekend, the attendees were pretty good about it.

Cue this family of four. Father, mother, pair of tweenage daughters in cute cosplay. I saw them browsing the table across the aisle from me and thought nothing of it, besides remarking to my table partner on the girls' cosplay costumes because I actually recognized them despite not watching the show in question. Then the father decides he just has to make an important phone call. So they back away from the other table to let him make the call...

...And end up blocking my entire space. It was only four feet wide, and the parents together completely blocked my half, leaving the corner of my art binder and my partner's jewelry display barely visible. We cut them some slack at first, becuase the daughters were at least browsing our wares and because we hoped the parents would end the phone conversation quickly or at least get a clue.

No such luck.

After having enough of it (about ten minutes; I'm far too patient sometimes), I decided to make my presence known. I started by standing up to full height (just barely shy of six feet, about the same height as this family's father) and began straightening things at the front of my table (by reaching over the display, since the family was blocking the front). The girls glanced up at me and smiled, and I smiled back because they weren't the problem. The mom noticed and seemed taken aback that there was *gasp!* someone actually selling stuff at the table that was covered with prints and painted fans and jewelry and seven-foot-high displays! She kind of nudged her husband a bit and they scooted off to the side, where there was an open area not blocking anyone.

Seriously, it's in the rules in the convention guide, and it should be common sense, people! I'm trying to sell my stuff, just like the next person, and you standing in front of my space with your back to it gabbing away on your phone is Not Helping. If it's such an important phone call, take it out to the hallway. It's not like they charge you to get into the room or anything.

Honestly, if they hadn't moved when I stood up and started rearranging, I would've then not-so-politely told them to move it or I would be getting con security over there post haste.

Bonus Sighting: this one didn't involve me in a seller role, so it's more of a Sighting. But what is it with my White Mage costume attracting creepers? I don't get nearly this sort of problem in plainclothes, at the con or at home. But when I wear my White Mage costume to conventions, I always seem to get some loser creeping on me. Last year, it was the guy in a costume I didn't recognize in the Dealer's Room who tapped on my shoulder to get my attention. When I turned around, thinking he wanted a photo (since I'd already been asked three times at that point), he propositioned me in probably the crudest way I can think of, a flat "we should f***." I gave him a glare and a flat "NO" and turned back to what I was doing, and thankfully that was the end of it.

This year, I was wandering around the Artists' Alley looking at all the pretties for sale. I'd stopped to talk to a fellow artist I knew from previous years who was suffering an advanced case of Con Plague and sympathizing with her when a guy in a face-concealing Black Mage costume came up beside me and, without preamble, just started running his hand up and down my arm. I pried his hand off and pushed it back toward him and said, "Please don't touch me," and he kept his hands to himself. Unfortunately, he started making what I think were lewd comments. His face mask kind of muffled his voice so I'm not entirely sure on the wording, but I think he was attempting to quote a sprite comic involving the characters we were cosplaying (which actually come from a game, and the comic just reuses them to tell a different story). I'd read just enough of the beginning of that comic to get some references, but am not a fan, so I just ignored him and he wandered off.

Later, after I'd gotten around the corner to a different booth and was talking with another artist, he came up and started making more comments! This time, I leveled the Mommy Glare at him and firmly stated, "I think you need to leave me alone now." To his credit, he asked if I knew the webcomic in question and I gave him a curt "no," at which point he left me alone. But seriously, since when does "girl in White Mage costume" equal "wants to be felt up or propositioned by random strangers"?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

I am telling you I need to be the professional board Guard Gargoyle at these conventions. Too bad there isn't much money in that lol. At D*C I had a Sea Elf (I am guessing that is what she was supposed to be, blue skin..pointed ears..lots of kelp/seaweed..*shrugs*) hide behind me because an "Aquaman" was giving her grief. Took one look at me, and decided that there were more fish in the sea. (pun intended). Of course I was in my 'not amused' frame of mind at the time, because everything had went to heck in a handbasket at D*C..and that is a LONG story.

8-Bit theater is the webcomic in question, and Black Mage is kind of a douche there also.

Sorry about the SC's..even at Cons they can run rampant.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

You were in a Final Fantasy White Mage costume I assume? Being a FF fan, and having a level 90 White Mage on XI, I'd like to know if you have any available pictures in this costume?
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Luckily, if worse came to worse, I'm a big girl (literally) and can take care of myself. If he hadn't taken that Mommy Voice hint, security would've been called, and if he'd laid a more intrusive hand on me, he probably would've been pulling back a bloody stump.

But seriously, sometimes we could really use a guard gargoyle like you on retainer.

Quoth Mytical View Post
        8-Bit theater is the webcomic in question, and Black Mage is kind of a douche there also.
        And there's clarification for anyone else who didn't know. I knew myself, as I had read just enough to get that much, but quickly lost interest in the comic. Thing is, the White Mage/Black Mage characters are from the Final Fantasy series, and even have similar designs across several of the games, so why anyone would assume that a White Mage cosplayer is inherently familiar with 8-Bit Theater is beyond me. Which is why I didn't even bother to let him think I was familiar at all with the comic.

Edit: for those curious to see the costume, I've attached a photo. This was taken on Halloween in 2009, but the costume is still the same (though my hair is only shoulder-length right now). The skirt has the same red triangles along the bottom hem, and I have black dressy boots that go with it. It billows a bit when I walk. It's fun.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Kogarashi; 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

That costume is fricking awesome!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            But seriously, sometimes we could really use a guard gargoyle like you on retainer.
            Plus there would be the fact I'd get to go to more conventions..win/win.

And there's clarification for anyone else who didn't know. I knew myself, as I had read just enough to get that much, but quickly lost interest in the comic.
            *nods* While you mentioned you knew the comic in question..some might not .

As for white mage and final fantasy? Yeah .. there is no shortage of mention in many different venues..no idea why somebody would assume somebody would know about 8-bit...*shrugs*. Now though 'white mage' isn't in ALL of them..there are currently 14 (actually more but meh) games NOT counting the tactics ones..and a horde of offshoots and such. Final Fantasy is a mega/huge collosal industry all by itself.
            Last edited by Mytical; 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              That costume is fricking awesome!
              Thanks! Made it myself. Only the shirt came from a store-bought pattern so I'd have something that fit right, but I made it out of the same material as the red triangles so they'd match. It's quite warm, too, for long hours at chilly Alley tables.

Comment

Given the comic in question, you would not be out of character to flatten the creepy black mages with an overly large hammer. =)

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                  Given the comic in question, you would not be out of character to flatten the creepy black mages with an overly large hammer. =)
                  Given the nature of most creeperfans at cons, that might only encourage them, however.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Awww, I love Black Mage! Especially when he starts to dance and says "Everybody do the Black Mage; especially YOU White Mage!"

Such star-crossed lovers...
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

ooh, great costume; it sort of reminds me of jessica from 'lunar: silver star story.'

you're so cute!

well, i may not be as big as mytical, but i could make a good guard badger!

1 big hammer + creepy black mageling = squashed pile of cretin
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I have a conveniently located Sephiroth(I usually dress as Tifa from FFVII)
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                          I was thinking the same thing -- IT would make perfect sense for a WhiteMage to carry around a nice heavy, knee-thwacking hammer... >_>

One more vote for "great costume" here, btw.

FFXI...? Wow, it's been awhile >_< I used to run a Bard 75 waaaaay back when that was still the maximum level. Got burned out, I'm afraid.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Awesome costume!! It looks really comfortable too, so that's a plus
                            !
                            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                              ooh, great costume; it sort of reminds me of jessica from 'lunar: silver star story.'

you're so cute!

well, i may not be as big as mytical, but i could make a good guard badger!

1 big hammer + creepy black mageling = squashed pile of cretin
                              Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' badgers!

Comment

Working...
                              X