Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignoring my art to talk about your hobbies will make me give you free stuff. (NOT)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring my art to talk about your hobbies will make me give you free stuff. (NOT)

(Foul language below.)

Gah. This just PISSED me off. So I made a cute little plushie furball thing. Person one asked me how big it was, and I guess they can't picture "six inches" as an answer, because they asked if I could take a reference photo with a dollar bill so they could get an idea.

Which fine, I'm a visual person myself, I know how it goes, so whatever. But I don't actually keep cash around these days, so the only bill I had was a two dollar bill that I hung onto as a kid because hey, two dollar bill. It's not really anything special, but it's vaguely interesting, so why not?

So I upload the two dollar bill + plush to the usual gallery site, and all is good.

Except then person two stepped in. This is an absolute, verbatim, copy-past of our conversation.

P2: -gasp- you have a $2 bill?

Me: What's so strange about that?

P2: they're kinda rare... but i collect bicentennial quarters and half dollars

Me: They're normal circulating currency. Go to the bank, they'll give you lots. Just because they're not popular doesn't mean they're actually that rare.

P2: bicentennial half dollars are rare-ish

Me: Very true.

P2: silver quarters (1963 and older) are extremely rare... i've only seen two

Me: *Failing to respond because honestly I don't give a damn about coin collecting, and you could at least, if you want to converse with me ON MY ART GALLERY you could mention my art in some kind of positive way, and that might, perhaps, draw my interest and make me think nice things about you, otherwise I really can't be bothered to give a damn about you, as you obviously don't give a damn about me.*

P2: *Adds me to their watch list on the site*

P2: 777 watches!

Me: Hah. That's cool. *Some people make a big deal about how many watches they have, and reaching significant numbers, and they sometimes give away crap to the so-many-th watcher. I actually did a small thing when I hit 666, because why not, but I don't usually pay much attention to it.*

P2: -does cute face- does the lucky watcher get a free?

Me: No.

P2: lol aww

I was SO close to saying "Fuck no, you little entitlement whore, if you want something of mine you can damn well buy it, especially since you can't even FUCKING GIVE ME A COMPLIMENT on my work before begging for it. Come on, twit, you could at least try and butter me up a little, instead of talking about you and your collection while ignoring my art and then asking me for free crap!"

I really do not know what goes through people's minds when they do stuff like this. It must work sometimes or they wouldn't keep doing it, but I would NEVER reward this sort of behavior. Even with compliments. If you like it, PAY ME FOR IT. Gah.

Also had somebody in the same pic comment asking if they could have the $2 bill. They were at least polite enough to say something nice about the plush though.
    Last edited by spark; 05-01-2011, 08:43 AM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Everybody wants to haggle for something, but truth be told they are just cheap SC's with no life and try to make everybody else bow down to them in some kind of fashion, and at least they could have said something nice to you before totally F!@#ing your day even more.
    C_R

Comment

Haggling would imply that they intended to pay for it. Trying to get free stuff is just begging.

Comment

I'd be glad to sell you the $2 bill. With S&H that comes to $7.53. Will that be paypal or will you be mailing a money order?

Comment

Yeah, having a giveaway or whatever for a freebie or discount is your own thing. Asking for it is very bad form. /facepalm
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Urgh. Some people have zero class at all. *hugs and offers a cookie*
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
              P2: -gasp- you have a $2 bill?

Me: What's so strange about that?

P2: they're kinda rare...
              While you are correct that they are not uncommon in the sense that they are normal currency and they are easily obtainable, P2 was right in the sense that they are not overly common with most people.

Of course, I have 35 of them in my wallet. But that's my own personal obsession. Ask me about it sometime.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I have 35 of them in my wallet.
                I wonder how many Mommy and Lizziebeff have.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                  I wonder how many Mommy and Lizziebeff have.
                  I have 15 on hand.
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Most people are generally shocked when they had me a $2 bill and use the statement "You know these are real right?", and I go "I know", granted I did trade for the bunch we got in the one day, because well I had a personal vendetta to fill against a cashier and I wondered if it would work. They were familar that $2 were real, just sucked at counting.

In the past year I have found these silver coins
                    13qaurters 1964 or earlier- $104.88.
                    15dimes 1964 or earlier - $48.41.
                    3 mercury dimes (1916-1945) - $9.68.

I spent $5.05 and according to the current silver prices I have $162.97 of course silver has doubled since I learned of this and I REALLY regret not hitting some e-bay auctions to grab silver when I found out about them from a co-worker.
                    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

A subway pass machine spit out those gold dollar coin things when I was in Boston a few weeks ago. I know those are real and I've seen them before...I just didn't know people actually used them still.

Still though...geez, people will look for any goddamn reason to squeeze a freebie out of someone. If you want to give away a goody for a holiday or a certain number of site views or what-not, that's up to the artist themselves. But begging for one is just...pointless. Hey, can I kill someone on the anniversary of any crime involving murder and not be charged with anything? Oh, and I collect rare factory defects that look like dolls straight from Chernobyl - did you know they're real, but misunderstood? If you give me something for nothing, I'll let you sign my petition for factory defect awareness.

Comment

The pub I used to frequent give the gold coins as change... Whether to keep with the old (1776) pub these, or because people don't want them and will tip more

Going there tonigt, wonder if they still do
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I have friends that use the dollar coins for more realism in their costumes at the local Renfest. Like the two-dollar bill, you can ask for them at the bank.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ugh.
                            I think people like that are why I have such a hard time approaching artists I like. I'm a horrible shy fanboy and I always have this fear of coming off like one of those twits.

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Of course, I have 35 of them in my wallet. But that's my own personal obsession. Ask me about it sometime.
                            I have discovered Jester's secret identity! He is Steve Wozniak (a funny story).

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                            A subway pass machine spit out those gold dollar coin things when I was in Boston a few weeks ago. I know those are real and I've seen them before...I just didn't know people actually used them still.
                            I despise those coins. There is a reason I never buy rail/metro cards with cash, they all dispense those as change.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              I have friends that use the dollar coins for more realism in their costumes at the local Renfest. Like the two-dollar bill, you can ask for them at the bank.
                              ^ this, i have done! its fun!
                              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                              X