This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you open?

How many times have you found yourself standing in the middle of your store, all the lights on, all product on the shelf, doors unlocked, "Open" sign turned to face out, in the middle of the day, and some customer walks in and says "Are you open?"
    This has happened to me more times than I can count at every place I've worked. Depending on how much I liked the job, my response would vary between "Yes, of course! Come on in" to "Hell no. I just like hanging out here in my dress clothes for no reason."

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Oh man, I hate it when they do things like that. My favorites are when they come up to me in my line, after I had just helped a customer and ask me if I'm working. Good lord, I don't know how many times I've wanted to say "nope, I'm standing here in my ugly-ass blue vest, with my light on, watching my last customer walk away because I'm closed." It just annoys me to death.

Comment

Yeah, when you're looking straight at them, watching them approach, the only cashier there, friendly smile on your face, that's when they stare at you and go "are you open?"

but when there's three other cashiers with no customers, you're looking down, counting money/sorting paperwork/answering a phone call/pulling the till out of the drawer, they come right up and plop their stuff on your counter and look at you all expectantly. Then when you say "Sorry, I'm closed" and move them over 5 feet to the next register, they get all huffy and big sighs all around.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
        "Are you open?"
        "Honey, I'll try anything once. Twice if I like it."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Oh my God, I hate when they do that. Once, someone came in, about 5 minutes after we are closed. They came in, looked around, grabbed what they wanted, and then went right over to the register, noticed that it was off, and then asked are you closed, and that was after he read our sign, that I posted up, with the times we are opened and closed. We told him, we were closed, and he then went-off, saying that since the door was unlocked, that he should still be served. Needless to say, he didn't get ringed up then. It is not my fault, if we were having a little meeting then.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Powerboy, while I do think the customer could and should have been more observant, it wasn't his fault that the door was unlocked. Someone should've checked on that.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

People ask me that in the auto repair shop even when all five incredibly large garage doors are open and all four lifts show vehicles raised in the air with working technicians standing under them! I want to say, "No, we just love the smell of carbon monoxide in the morning..."

When I was in high school, I worked at a Dollar Tree where (you guessed it) everything cost $1. People constantly asked me how much items cost. We had Frisbee-sized neon pink signs plastered everywhere that read, "Everything is $1!" One day I hung one of those signs around my neck as a joke. Imagine my bewilderment when one of the first customers of the day asked me the price of an item. I told him it was $15.99.

Comment

I have to admit I've gotten Dollar Tree mixed up with Big Lots and asked the price of a particular item. When I have it on straight, though, it's awesome to be able to tally up my bill in my head by the number of items in my cart.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I get that from time to time when I go up and help out on the registers. I had one guy come up and ask me if I was open. I looked at him and told him, "Nope, I'm just standing with this pretty brown vest* on looking cute." We both started laughing and all was well.

*I love not having to wear the blue vest being otc pharmacy and all *cheer me*

Comment

Heeeeeeeere's your sign.

Comment

Oh I was so totally sucky once. George Carlin mentioned this in one of his albums and I had to do it.

I ran over to a convenience store that was open 24/7. Came into the store as if I was in a blind panic. Looked right at the clerk and (still breathing hard) asked him in a gasping voice if he was open on Thursdays.

He said yes and I said Thank you and ran out of the store.

Goddess as my witness I wish I could have stayed around to have seen the look on his face when I did that...would have been priceless

M
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Oh YES, I get that all the time!! I work overnight shifts on weekends, you see, and our store is open 24/7/364 (we're off on Christmas under union rules), and we have in HUGE lit-up blue letters OPEN 24 HOURS. We also have a sign next to the door that reads "Open 24 hours". The front doors are unlocked, and there's a checklane with its number light on, and nevertheless, if I had a dollar for every customer who asked me, "Hey, are you open?" I could retire. :P

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                          I ran over to a convenience store that was open 24/7. Came into the store as if I was in a blind panic. Looked right at the clerk and (still breathing hard) asked him in a gasping voice if he was open on Thursdays.

He said yes and I said Thank you and ran out of the store.
                          Did you also go into a gift shop and ask for your gift? Or go to a bakery and ask them if they can bake a shape of a penis?
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            Did you also go into a gift shop and ask for your gift? Or go to a bakery and ask them if they can bake a shape of a penis?
                            I'm sure you can find that cake...bachelorette parties and such. I'm tempted to do a google search but I'm at work, so...um....I won't.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth GayleShy View Post
                              Oh man, I hate it when they do things like that. My favorites are when they come up to me in my line, after I had just helped a customer and ask me if I'm working. Good lord, I don't know how many times I've wanted to say "nope, I'm standing here in my ugly-ass blue vest, with my light on, watching my last customer walk away because I'm closed." It just annoys me to death.

I remember this happening to me quite a few times when I still worked at Home Depot. You would finish with 2 or 3 customers only to have one who has been STARING at you the whole time ask you if your open. Even better was the ones when u had your gate pulled shut, light off, money in hand waiting for the HC to move you to the counting area so you could count your till and send it up.....to have someone try to push open the gate (or walk around it if it was one of the double gates with someone working the till across from you) and NOT ask if you were open, just dump everything on the counter.

"I'm sorry maam/sir, I'm closed but XXXX over there has no one in his/her line and would be happy to help you"

"But I just put this stuff down here. Just sign back in and ring me through, it will only take a minute"

"I'm sorry I cant do that, half my till is counted and I'm already late to go home"

"SOOOO? IM THE CUSTOMER! I DEMAND YOU RING ME THROUGH! STOP BEING LAZY!"

Usually followed with them complaining to the manager which didnt do any good because by that time I had finished my till and gone home. Bonus points if they tried to do this at close as when the manager closes the till it would require them to reopen it to put anyone through. Heres a handy idea...if you dont like that theres only one cashier open and that I cant open just for you and you dont want to wait even longer...DONT SHOP 20 MINUTES AFTER WE CLOSE

*sigh* that felt good lol

Comment

Working...
                              X