This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got an ID story.

I have read lots of stories on here about customers being sucky about producing ID when ordering alcohlic beverages...but I never realized how HORRIBLE they must REALLY be until I dealt with one server.

A couple weeks ago, we out to the Rainforest Cafe. We placed our order, but hadn't quite decided on drinks. Our server came back. She was young and very sweet. I finally decide I would like a Margarita. Our server visibly slumped. She drooped her shoulders, and sheepishly asked... "Can I see your ID, please?" She asked me this like I had just killed her puppy! Of course, I whipped out my passport with a big smile on my face and said, "No problem." To which she looked so immensely relieved and went back to talking and joking with us again.

How horrible must people be that our server had to feel afraid to ask for ID? Jeez.

I've still never actually witnessed people...but damn, I can only imagine the hard time they must have given her! I can understand feeling defeated when receiving NO for the answer to that question...but just feeling bad having to ask? ouch...
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
    I went with my room mate the other day to pick up a couple of sixpacks for the weekend, and the middle-aged woman in line in front of us was throwing an absolute tizzy because the guy behind the counter asked for her ID. She yelled. She screamed. She threatened. She cajoled. At one point I thought she was even going to turn on the waterworks. All because she was embarrassed to have the clerk know how old she really was. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!
    So instead she demonstrated to everyone that she has the mental/emotional age of a preschooler. Nice, lady - you really made your point there!

Comment

It is depressing, isn't it?

I'm 23, and I'm constantly told (especially on the weekends, with no makeup and hair in a ponytail) that I could pass for 17. I'm planning on being carded for years to come, and I even put up with crap from the guys at the liquor store and the bar who tease me that my ID must be fake. Yeah, it gets annoying, but it does not have to be such a big deal. If you're going to the bar/liquor store, just make sure you have your ID on you.

That was one thing I loved about the bar I did work at for a bit--they card everyone at the door, so if they're inside, you know they're of age. And, they had the big, mean looking bouncers card people, so they rarely put up a fuss.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

After having middle aged to elderly people scream at me, refuse to continue the purchase of their groceries and demand we put all their food back, report me to corporate headquarters (for doing my job) and call me every name in the book, I can understand why some people can become afraid to ask for I.D. at this point. Some people become enraged when asked for identification. Now I say "I'm sorry, the store requires me to ask anyone purchasing alcohol or tobacco for I.D.", any sign of trouble I just immediately call a manager and duck for cover.

My opinion? SC's realize if they throw fit the management will 9 times out 10 give them what they want, at my store anyway. They think if they make a scene they will just get their way as usual. The only thing management in my store won't back down on is showing identification.
        "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
        George Carlin

Comment

Oh man, we have the same rule at Wal-Mart about cigarettes. We were busted once and now we card every frickin' person who asks for smokes, even if they are obviously 89 years old.

We have one woman who will NOT show her ID unless we force her to show it. She tells us every excuse under the sun to get her cigarettes. Her favorite ones are, "I'm old enough to be your mother." "You don't look old enough to sell them, I'm not showing you mine until you show me yours." "It's in the car, I'll tell you my birthdate." And of course, the ever popular, "you can't ask for my ID, it's against the LAW to ask for ID."

This doesn't just go for cigarettes, this goes for writing checks, using a credit card or returning something without a recept.

Comment

There's no excuse. If you plan to go out drinking/buying booze/buying cigs HAVE YOUR ID. You know you need it. Don't be an idiot. Have it. Show it. Shut up.

I've been to places with no indoor plumbing. No electricity. No streetlights. Swamp muck up to my ankles. No floors. No walls. No roof. Guess what I had in my pocket? That's right, an ID card so I could have a beer.

Why oh why oh why is that so flipping hard?

Comment

Have it. Show it. Shut up.

That so needs to be an official sign.
              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Re: Showing ID

I used to work at a grocery store and I've had my share of SC's when asking for ID's. One customer in particular got mad and informed me "you carded me last week". I said "I very well may have and if you come back next week I'll probably card you again".

That being said, I can understand the frustration of *some customers* on this one. Sometimes, it's the process that needs to be changed. I get frustrated when I'm in line and the clerk asks some one who is obviously closer to 70 than 21 for their ID card. There has to be some empowerment and flexibility in the process to allow for some common sense. My 80 year old grandmother should never have to whip out an ID card when buying a bottle of wine for the sole purpose of proving she is 21 years or older.
                "Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches, the
                system and other players in other little groups. Winners assemble as a
                team." Author - Unknown

Comment

Quoth bullets View Post
                  My 80 year old grandmother should never have to whip out an ID card when buying a bottle of wine for the sole purpose of proving she is 21 years or older.
                  The problem is that no matter what you use as a cutoff, people are going to bitch about it. If you card everyone, the problem is solved.

If I was setting up the system, I'ld probably have the person swipe their ID in a reader that would pull up their picture off the state database, just so I don't have to worry about fake IDs. It would also solve a number of the other ID issues you get.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    The problem is that no matter what you use as a cutoff, people are going to bitch about it. If you card everyone, the problem is solved.
                    I definetely agree that no matter what age you use, people will bitch but I also believe that those same people will bitch regardless of whether or not your policy is to card everyone.

I guess my main point is that your policy shouldn't be made to prevent some people from bitching. It should be made to do the right thing. In this case, the goal should be to prevent minors from buying alcohol. I don't think carding senior citizens helps accomplish this goal. At best, a "card everyone policy" gives employees a way of dealing with irate a-holes that deserve to be carded and at worst, patronizes other customers.
                    "Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches, the
                    system and other players in other little groups. Winners assemble as a
                    team." Author - Unknown

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                      I'm 23, and I'm constantly told (especially on the weekends, with no makeup and hair in a ponytail) that I could pass for 17. I'm planning on being carded for years to come, and I even put up with crap from the guys at the liquor store and the bar who tease me that my ID must be fake. Yeah, it gets annoying, but it does not have to be such a big deal. If you're going to the bar/liquor store, just make sure you have your ID on you.
                      I am 36, and I still occasionally get carded. Just last August, on my summer vacation, I got carded repeatedly. And frankly, if I shaved my goatee off, I would get carded more, as I look even younger without it. I am actually rather bummed I don't get carded as much as I used to, to be honest, and that people are more and more correctly guessing my age. Damn it.

As for carding, I have a very simple philosophy: If they ask for my ID, I'm getting my drink. If they don't ask for my ID, I'm still getting my drink. Either way, I'm getting my bloody drink. And in the end, that really is all that matters to me.

Quoth bullets View Post
                      That being said, I can understand the frustration of *some customers* on this one. Sometimes, it's the process that needs to be changed. I get frustrated when I'm in line and the clerk asks some one who is obviously closer to 70 than 21 for their ID card. There has to be some empowerment and flexibility in the process to allow for some common sense. My 80 year old grandmother should never have to whip out an ID card when buying a bottle of wine for the sole purpose of proving she is 21 years or older.
                      Quoth Whyme View Post
                      After having middle aged to elderly people scream at me, refuse to continue the purchase of their groceries and demand we put all their food back, report me to corporate headquarters (for doing my job) and call me every name in the book, I can understand why some people can become afraid to ask for I.D. at this point. Some people become enraged when asked for identification. Now I say "I'm sorry, the store requires me to ask anyone purchasing alcohol or tobacco for I.D.", any sign of trouble I just immediately call a manager and duck for cover..
                      I like the idea of carding everyone.

Incidentally, in many states, the law is that to purchase alcohol, you must have ID, no matter what your age is. It doesn't say you have to be carded, but you do have to have it.

Also, in at least Florida and Arizona (but probably most other states as well), the law says that if the server thinks the potential alochol purchaser looks thirty or under, they must ask for their ID. Not 21, mind you, but THIRTY. (I have worked in places where the company policy was to ask for ID for anyone who looked FORTY or under.)

Also, in at least Florida and Arizona (but probably most other states as well), if you attempt to purchase alcohol, and the server/clerk asks you for ID, and you cannot produce ID valid for the purchase of alcohol as defined by that state, they cannot serve you/sell you that alcohol! Even if you ARE, in fact, of age. The penalties for so doing are comparable to serving someone who is not of legal purchasing age.

Right about now would be a great time to break out that ID Song I composed a few months ago. Anyone remember where it's hiding?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
                        I went with my room mate the other day to pick up a couple of sixpacks for the weekend, and the middle-aged woman in line in front of us was throwing an absolute tizzy because the guy behind the counter asked for her ID. She yelled. She screamed. She threatened. She cajoled. At one point I thought she was even going to turn on the waterworks. All because she was embarrassed to have the clerk know how old she really was. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!
                        We have several middle-aged women who have notes that show up on their labels to not ask their birthdate for verification purposes. I think a floater asked one once out of habit and the customer threw an absolute fit. It's not like it's something to be ashamed of, your age is your age. You might as well embrace it, there's nothing you can do to slow time down.

Last time I went to the liquor store, I had my DL out like I always do, and the guy didn't ask for it.....does that mean that I'm there entirely too much?

Comment

Here's what these dumb, vain women dont' understand:

If you try to pass yourself off as younger than you are, and you don't look younger, people think "Good grief, she looks like hell for her age!"

If you are honest about your age, nobody thinks anything.

If you actually CAN pass yourself off as younger, and you are honest about your age, people think "Good grief, she looks GREAT for her age!"

I for one can pass for younger. I don't. Mainly because it's not an issue for me. But I would be lying if I denied that I kind of dig it when people say how much younger they initially thought I was.

Hey, I'm not above having my ego stroked a little.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Right about now would be a great time to break out that ID Song I composed a few months ago. Anyone remember where it's hiding?

I still have it, my creative juices have not been flowing well. And work is making sure I am too tired to move when I get home.
                            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I wish I got carded more often. (I went out to get smokey treats last night. They didn't card me. ) Of course, I could always make a special trip out to WI to the gas station that my (twin) sister works at. She ALWAYS cards me.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X