This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You HAVE to sell me cigarettes.

The other day I was working my usual 3rd shift. About 12:30 a young guy comes in wanting to buy 3 packs of cigarettes. I grab the cigarettes and ask for his ID. He hands me a piece of standard PRINTER PAPER with an ID photocopied onto it.

Me: I'm sorry, I can't take this as ID. Do you have something else?
    SC: Uh, you kinda HAVE to take it. (I immediately realize that this is going to be fun!)
    Me: No, I don't have to take it. It's not a valid ID, sir. I CAN'T take it.
    SC: Okay, be right back.

He comes back about five minutes later with a woman who looks 25+. I'm really not sure why, she didn't say much to me and didn't even to buy the cigarettes for him or anything.

SC: Okay I want those Camels.
    Me: Did you find some ID?
    SC: THIS is my ID! *shoves printer paper at me again*
    Me: I can't take that, sir.
    SC: This is my ID and you have to take it! You have to sell me cigarettes!

Now the woman is sort of trying to get him to stop yelling, she knows he is out of bounds obviously.

SC: Sell me cigarettes.
    Me: I can't.
    SC: SELL ME CIGARETTES.
    Me: I can't without valid ID.
    SC: Where is your manager?
    Me: It's 12:40 am sir, there is no manager on duty. I can't sell you cigarettes without a valid ID.
    SC: *screaming* THIS IS MY ID!
    Me: Sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
    SC: I'M NOT LEAVING UNTIL YOU SELL ME CIGARETTES!
    Me: I am not going to sell you cigarettes. Please leave.
    SC: NO! YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR JOB!
    Me: I am doing my job, sir. My job is to not sell cigarettes to people who don't have ID. I have asked you to leave and you refuse. I am going to call the police now.
    SC: *more screaming*

I grabbed the phone and pretended to dial the police. No point in bothering the cops, these blustery types always run out the door if they think the police are coming.

SC: *running out door* I AM CALLING YOUR BOSS AND TELLING HIM YOU ARE A WORTHLESS EMPLOYEE!
    Me: *yelling back from the side room* I AM AWESOME! GET OUT!

(There was nobody in the store but us or I wouldn't have yelled back)

Quoth parresa View Post
    I AM AWESOME! GET OUT!
    Beautiful.

Comment

Ughh! Reminds me of the kid who tried to but cigs with a passport.

Well actually a photocopy of a passport issued by another country. He kept saying "It's signed by the High Commisioner! It's valid"

I really wanted to say something like "That doesn't look like uncle Berties signature.". But my manager was watching it all.

Comment

Reminds me of every single time some kid came in with a "birth certificate" that looked like it had been printed out on one of the mid 90's Apple computers they used when I was in sixth grade.

Comment

Quoth Bunny the Veggie Slayer View Post
          Ughh! Reminds me of the kid who tried to but cigs with a passport.

Well actually a photocopy of a passport issued by another country. He kept saying "It's signed by the High Commisioner! It's valid"

I really wanted to say something like "That doesn't look like uncle Berties signature.". But my manager was watching it all.

Could have been signed by the a Jedi Master...still aint gettin' cigs...LOL!

Comment

What a dumbass. Reminds me of an idiot who tried to use "well I know [person who has no authority over me whatsoever]" as ID durign the brief time I worked a cigarette counter at the supermarket many moons ago.

Good work standing your ground and refusing that guy.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth parresa View Post
              SC: *running out door* I AM CALLING YOUR BOSS AND TELLING HIM YOU ARE A WORTHLESS EMPLOYEE!
              Does this child really want to admit why he feels that way?
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth parresa View Post
                T

(There was nobody in the store but us or I wouldn't have yelled back)
                That was bloody brilliant. rofl.

Comment

Quoth parresa View Post
                  Why, yes. Yes, you are

Pwnd!
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh noeees the dreaded "You HAVE TO TAKE IT!"

Oh, bullshit.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

YOU are awesome, HE is a knobjockey...'nuff said.

Comment

Arrrg I hate 'kids' that smoke! You would think by now they would realize there's nothing cool about smoking. They are usually the dumbest f@cks...

Comment

I once had someone try to give me a photocopy of a prison ID. Said he just got out and hadn't had time to get a real ID so I had to take what he had. Wanna bet, moron? He left pissed off and still out of cigs.
                          I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

Quoth parresa View Post
                            SC: Okay I want those Camels.
                            Me: Did you find some ID?
                            SC: THIS is my ID! *shoves printer paper at me again*
                            Me: I can't take that, sir.
                            SC: This is my ID and you have to take it! You have to sell me cigarettes!
                            I had some truck driver trainee try that on me a few years back. he even had the ball to "inform" me that several bars just down the street from my gas station "accepted" that mangled photocopied "ID" as proof of ID and let him drink.

can you say Photoshopped anyone???? I knew you could.

as a gas station clerk there is little I HAVE to do. there are NO rules, statues, or laws (local, county, state or Federal) that say I HAVE to sell you ANYTHING. yes the company would like the business but not at the expense of a HUGE fine and the loss of the our tobacco selling license. not to mention me as a clerk losing my job and getting fined (and paying for that fine out of my own pocket)

Could have been signed by the a Jedi Master...still aint gettin' cigs...LOL!
                            me thinks this particular person has watch waaayyyy to much Dr. Who ie the phyconitic ID in the little flip wallet. I love the picture of John Pertwee in the Matt Smith episode titled Venice
                            Last edited by Racket_Man; 06-04-2011, 06:14 AM.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Well.... I have made exceptions for regulars that come in all the time an I KNOW I have sold before or REALLY make me believe. But your Birth certificate, Social Security Card and student ID are not a state issued photo ID. If you got your license confiscated tough crap, I know you have the option to get a state ID till it gets reinstated. Ain't my fault your an IDIOT!!!!! Or, I point out, I have drivers license, motorcycle temps and Concealed Handgun License.... 3 photo IDs that all say the same thing. not my fault they can't manage 1.

I also had the SC's brother from the OP, although his response was "Dude I'm just trying to roll a blunt!!!!!" He hated my response of "OH well in that case, that changes..... NOTHING" but I admired his persistence, he "sweetened" the deal by offering Vicodin for my shoulder I injured. If I wasn't in so much pain I would have had a better response than NOOOOO. He said something about coming back later, I wasn't sure if it was a threat or not and since well he offered me drugs, and already alluded to having multiple paraphernalia on him, I might have said something that a would be grounds for termination but eh, he was probably to doped up to get it.
                              I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                              X