X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise equipment =/= Playground

Children-children, take one

The store I work at was recently renovated to turn it into a superstore. Most of the area I work in was left the same, but they moved the bike rack closer to sporting goods so it's at the end of my department, not the beginning. In the current position, it's right next to Sporting Good's exercise equipment display.

Walking back around the side of the bike rack, I notice two small figures moving around the equipment and quickly head back toward it, only to find two little girls, probably no more than eight years old, playing on some of the machines, just climbing all over them with no parent there.

Me: "Hey guys, that equipment is for adults, you need to get off of it."

The kids look spooked (they always give the same look when they get in trouble, it's kind of hilarious) and scamper off. That's when I notice a woman who looks like the little girls standing in the aisle, watching.

Woman (presumably their mother) gives me a death glare, seeming to expect me to look sorry for yelling at her precious babies. I, of course, don't.

------
    Adult Children

Walking by the bike rack again, I'm bent over a shelf putting some tire tubes back in order, when I hear this sound. It's like a small, rattly freight train accompanied by yelling. A second later, a grown man riding on the back of a cart goes whizzing by with a woman running next to him, laughing.

I run out to the aisle and yell.

Me: "YO!"

They skid to a stop and the woman starts laughing.

Female: "Oooh, she just yelled at you!"

Why yes, yes I did.

-------
    Children-children, take two

I'm walking back after break and pass by the exercise equipment again, and what do I see but a woman with a little boy who couldn't be more than two years old, holding him on one of the stationary bikes and moving him like it was a playground!

She notices me and startles, then acts like she's about to take him off of the equipment. I walk by without saying anything, but when I look behind me again, she has him back on it!

GAH! Little kids get exercise by running around outside or playing with balls and age-appropriate toys, not stationary bikes! I never said anything to her, but it just seems so silly. I've given her the benefit of the doubt - maybe the kid was just curious about the bike - but still... Nooo!

sounds like they're hoping for accidents... so they can get free monies from the lawsuits

Comment

And of course the first mother would have blamed ya'll if the kids had gotten hurt playing on the bikes. Some people are just perpetually angry and it drives me kind of crazy.

Comment

Quoth Arwyn Q View Post
        Children-children, take one

Woman (presumably their mother) gives me a death glare, seeming to expect me to look sorry for yelling at her precious babies.
        "Look sorry"? Er no, the appropriate thing for you to do in that situation would have been to look her straight in the eye and say "You're welcome."

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hope there is a sign in the vicinity asking children to keep off the exercise equipment? Otherwise, you just know that someone's Lawsuit Bait Darling Little Precious Angel is going to get hurt and the store is going to be sued.

Granted, a sign wouldn't stop them, but at least your butt is covered.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
          X