This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The back of what??

Customer: I noticed that you didn't have this part listed; do you have it in the back?

The back? The back of WHAT?? I'm a freaking ONLINE STORE; there isn't a "back" and if it's not online, I DON'T HAVE IT. And you're the 3rd person to ask today! WTF, people??

I honestly can understand asking in a brick and mortar store; there at least is a mysterious "back" that they can't see that could actually store extra merchandise. But with me?? Really???

There is no back. There is no front. There are only shelves, pretty pictures and a lot of HTML.

At least they didn't ask if I could get the random part from the back and ship it to Uruguay for free...

(feels better)
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

They are so used to going into a regular store and asking that question that they forget. Although I assume the back of your store is also the front since it is an online business.....

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
      They are so used to going into a regular store and asking that question that they forget. Although I assume the back of your store is also the front since it is an online business.....
      We're the middle. All the way around.
      "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Did you look in back of your computer?
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Send them a load of random HTML code and invite them to look through it themselves.

Comment

I wonder if folks who operate mall kiosks get asked to "check in the back"?
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I get asked to check in the back of my booth at shows.

Enough that we have a joke about a rectal bag of holding.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

why do they always ask to "check the back"?? you're in a business to sell stuff, why would you want to hold stuff and not sell it?? we always put merchandize out on the floor. not much was in the back except stuff that we had a metric f*ckton of and was not worried about selling out anytime in the next decade. the rest was broken or damaged goods to be sent back or thrown away. we want to sell this crap to you, maybe make some profit, maybe keep my job. if you don't see it on the floor then we don't have it! how hard is that to understand??

i'm glad i don't sell books anymore
                there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  I wonder if folks who operate mall kiosks get asked to "check in the back"?
                  Yes they do. The kiosk I worked was attatched to a store in the shopping centre, so I always took note of the stock there. If I wasn't sure if we had it, I would send the customer to the store. 9 out of 10 times they wouldn't walk the 20m to the escalator and go into the store. (Usually because those that wanted to defraud the company thought they could get away with it at the kiosk, even though we use exactly the same methods as the store. In fact it was harder as there wasn't a manager on hand that could over ride anything).

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                    why do they always ask to "check the back"?? you're in a business to sell stuff, why would you want to hold stuff and not sell it?? we always put merchandize out on the floor. not much was in the back except stuff that we had a metric f*ckton of and was not worried about selling out anytime in the next decade. the rest was broken or damaged goods to be sent back or thrown away. we want to sell this crap to you, maybe make some profit, maybe keep my job. if you don't see it on the floor then we don't have it! how hard is that to understand??

i'm glad i don't sell books anymore
                    Because you're keeping all the good stuff for yourselves!!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      I get asked to check in the back of my booth at shows.

Enough that we have a joke about a rectal bag of holding.

I got something vaguely similar recently on my Etsy shop. I sell painted paper fans (among other things), and a customer asked if what was in my shop was all I had. I chalk that one up as a Brain Burp more than anything else (after all, there's a slim chance I have an item I just haven't listed yet), and it made for a good chance to let them know I do commissions. But yeah, that shop is my primary online store. If it's not in the shop, I don't have it ready-made.

I can see asking "do you have more in back?" if a spot is empty on the salesfloor, because when I still worked retail we'd have instances where the stockers got busy and didn't have time to fill some empty spots with backstock (or missed them, frequently because salesfloor people would fill up the spot with the wrong merchandise to avoid empty spots on the shelf).
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

We all know about that mysterious magical 'back room'..but I will be the first to admit that when I worked at Wally world..you never actually knew what you might find back there. It was a mess..and a lot of goods were back there, and never got put out sometimes..of course trying to run a store that is ten times bigger then the old store with LESS people might have been a reason...

Still back of an online store is a new one. Just when you think you've heard everything...
                        Last edited by Mytical; 06-08-2011, 05:32 AM.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

"Sir,

This is an online store. There is no back, front, side, ceiling or floor. Everything we have is shown electronically.

However, just to amuse you, I set up a few mirrors and looked at my back. The part you speak of isn't there."
                          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
                          X