This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't get why she would do this

Today our head security guard was telling me about a woman that he had arrested after he caught her shoplifting beer. After a background check on her was done it was found that she was the produce manager for a branch of a rival spermarket chain. Well for the time being anyway until her store is informed of what she did.

Why would a supermarket departmental manager try to shoplift from one when they know full well that they have all sorts of measures in place to stop it from happening? People baffle me.

Self-harm without the razors?

Self-destructive downward spiral?

Really, really hates their job?

Needs a vacation and doesn't care that it comes with an orange jumpsuit and bars?
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Arrogance and/or stupidity.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, im going to play devil's advocate, and say that maybe, just maybe, her store treats her sooooo wrong when she walks out with a case, that she has to go to a rival. The rival store would NEVER do her wrong and would totally let her walk out with a case....

Comment

ok.....why would it be in the realm of your stores responsability or right to inform her place of employment she got arrested and for what?? is it common practice in your store to find out where all the arrestees work and call their employers??? I would assume this would open a whole can of liability worms. Background check? unless shes applying for a job and consented to one I dont see how can it be legal to obtain one on the basis of misdemeanor; specially by a non-peace officer (police officer) and use it in a manner outside of the scope of a legal investigation. I am sorry, but this seems so wrong in so many levels I really hope she sues and wins.
          Last edited by Josh; 06-18-2011, 04:15 AM.
          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
          ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
            ok.....why would it be in the realm of your stores responsability or right to inform her place of employment she got arrested and for what?? is it common practice in your store to find out where all the arrestees work and call their employers??? I would assume this would open a whole can of liability worms. Background check? unless shes applying for a job and consented to one I dont see how can it be legal to obtain one on the basis of misdemeanor; specially by a non-peace officer (police officer) and use it in a manner outside of the scope of a legal investigation. I am sorry, but this seems so wrong in so many levels I really hope she sues and wins.
            I disagree. I saw this as the SC was shoplifting beer from the rival store as an act of sabotage. Either that or she could "return" it at her own store and get cash for it.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
              ok.....why would it be in the realm of your stores responsability or right to inform her place of employment she got arrested and for what??
              Why would the OP's store be informing the rival store of their employee's wrong doing. The moment she doesn't show up for work, or calls them to let them know she was arrested, the story'll come out from her.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
                I disagree also. stealing is STILL stealing. but I do not see in the OP where the LP person informed or called or alerted the rival store to inform them of the persons actions. they found out most likely via the persons telling the OP's LP the information.

the OP
                Well for the time being anyway until her store is informed of what she did.
                in the end she is going to have to "explain" to her current employer why she has to go to court and/or was in jail. it does not bode well in a job when you get caught in a criminal situation no matter how small the infraction of the law. some companies take these matters very seriously. some companies do semi-frequent background checks on their own esp the ones who are paranoid about credit checks.

in my job (piza delivery) if I get a moving traffic ticket (on or off the job) or am arrested for DWI/OWI I will, at the very least be suspended (traffic ticket) or for the DWI loose my job very quickly. most delivery places take very seriously more than the once in a blue moon ticket and DWIs (they remain on your record for 65 years in my state)

If I do not inform my employer ASAP about a ticket I can loose my job on the spot (as they do ticket checks every 6 months)
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
                  The "information" is probably going to come in the form of the shoplifter not showing up for work and either having to tell her employer herself she was arrested for shoplifting, or she says nothing and the store finds out one way or another.

There's nothing saying the OP's store is going to call the shoplifter's store to tattle on her.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yeah at my job we are required to report any arrests and failure to do so results in "disciplinary action up to and including termination". Having worked retail I imagine a shoplifting charge falls in the realm.of something they'd require to be notified about.

Comment

Working...
                    X