This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I mention that option?

Where I work we sell coffee in carafes. We only sell small and large cups, yet everyday from almost every conversation goes like this.

SC: I'd like a coffee
    Me: Would you like a small or a large?
    SC: A Medium
    Me: We do not sell mediums. Would you like a small or a large?
    SC: I TOLD you I wanted a MEDIUM!
    Me: We ONLY sell SMALL or LARGE! (and to internet world, I am not yelling just emphasizing each word trying to get the person to understand.)

Deltahead. That is all.
    "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
    "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
      Me: We do not sell mediums. Would you like a small or a large?
      SC: I TOLD you I wanted a MEDIUM!
      "And I told you we only sell small or large!"

Yeesh. If only they would learn to listen.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Would it be bad customer service to say okay and deliberately make that person a small drink? I mean really...They deserve it, right?
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Maybe they need a sign:

Would you like a Biiiiig cup...
          (_____)}

or a little cup.
          (_)}

Oh wait...customers don't read signs ^_^
          I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

Comment

Maybe just ask if they want 8 or 12 oz (or whatever size you sell). Small, large, and medium don't mean much unless you see the actual cups..
            Last edited by It's me; 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I had that exact conversation in our cafe once. >_<
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Why not take a small cup, fill it up, then pour it in the big cup and charge him?

Comment

Does Customer Reality Bending then come into play?

You: "We have Small or Large." Sometimes accompanied by exaggerated hand gestures.

Them: "Well, I want a medium."

You: "I'm very sorry, we only have small or large."

Them: "I don't understand. Why don't you have medium?"

You: "I have no idea."

Them: "Well, I just think it's silly that you don't have that option."

You: "That may be true, but we still just have small or large."

Them: "Well, don't you think it's silly that you don't have medium?"

It is critical that you not answer this question. The customer is trying to get you to admit that it is silly that you not have medium sizes.

They want to admit that so that you'll confess that you really do have medium sizes (or AAAA batteries, or XXXS t-shirts, or E85 fuel, or whatever the hell the customer's looking for) and you're just saying you only have small or large just to be a big meaniehead. And they'll keep that up until the heat-death of the universe.

Amusing sometimes, but a little upsetting coming from "grown-ups."
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Ask if they want a big medium or a small medium

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                      Them: "Well, don't you think it's silly that you don't have medium?"
                      "Does it matter? We have what we have, small and large. By the time we convince corporate to offer medium, order the cups and have them shipped to us, several weeks will have gone by. Do you really want to go without your coffee for that long? I didn't think so. So, since 'medium' is not an option, do you want small or large?"
                      XXXS t-shirts
                      Offer them an infant-sized T-shirt.
                      Quoth dougall View Post
                      Ask if they want a big medium or a small medium
                      Or tell them there's a petite fortuneteller on the run from the law... a small medium at large!
                      Last edited by XCashier; 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Or tell them there's a petite fortuneteller on the run from the law... a small medium at large!
                        ...on an elephant: Jumbo!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Tell them medium is just a figment of their imagination, or that medium is just a state of mind.

I would charge them for a large and just fill it half full.
                          Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

Comment

XXXS t-shirts
                            Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Offer them an infant-sized T-shirt.
                            And here I was going to suggest sending them to the infants and toddlers section for their shirts, but XCashier beat me to the punch.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                              Maybe just ask if they want 8 or 12 oz (or whatever size you sell). Small, large, and medium don't mean much unless you see the actual cups..
                              I have done that and even shown the cups. They still want a medium. They then accuse me of hiding it from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X