This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back off.

Alright, just got off of my shift, learning that I get to work 11 days in a row... while attending high school. Hoo-rah.

Feeling kinda bored, I decide to head over to my old workplace, to see my girlfriend.
    I get there, just kinda hang out. Flirt a little with Ka, joke around with the employees (I, being the former supreme-bitch around there, knew all the employees). Customer walks up to the register where Kaa is standing, and begins arguing with her about how she overcharged them. Kaa keeps her stance (I'm proud of her) and explains why they were charged extra for certain changes to their order.

The customer begins to threaten her to refund his money. I've had enough of this guy. Obviously, at 5' 11", 130 pounds... I'm not very threatening. Yet, somehow, I was able to strike enough fear to get the guy to back down.

My question to all of you is... how? Did he know that 'her man' would kick his ass? Or am I just so creepy that it can be intimidating?

I dunno. And for that matter, how the hell do I give her these flowers tomorrow?
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

You could just be scary looking. I've been told by friends and co-workers that I'm the nicest scary guy they've ever met.

6'4", shoulders of a linebacker, baby face, and deep-sunken eyes that give me a permanent "goth shadow" over my eyes. I also walk very quietly, and have been told I don't stand around so much as loom. This is how I was described by a dorm mate when I asked him why he thought I was so scary when we were talking about our fist impressions of each other one night.

Funny thing though, little kids love me. I just walk in a room, and kids I've never seen before just smile and laugh. Even normally shy kids warm up to me pretty quick. No idea why.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I can get people to back down, too. I assure you that as a 5'6", 130 pound middle aged woman that I am not scary looking.

People who act like asshats to clerks are cowardly chickenshits. They act like that because it's the only time they get to feel like a big shot. It takes very, very little to cow a person like that. Sometimes all you have to do is give them a significant look and they back down.

They act like that because they are counting on the fact that nobody will call them on it. When someone does, it scares the hell out of them. I cowed a big burly bodybuilder once for that very reason. He was used to looking scary. He wasn't used to anyone confronting him, and when someone did, he didn't know how to react.

He could have squashed me like a bug. But he ended up yes ma'am and no ma'am and excuse me ma'aming me after that.

Comment

Hehehehe
        I'm cute-looking, apparently. I wrinkle my nose when I grin, I'm 5'9" and *coff coff* pounds. Let's just say I'm curvy
        People don't expect me to be scary. But I can make the temperature in a room drop to freezing just by changing the tone of my voice.
        People end up being more scared of me than of my 6'10" boyfriend It's not often that I have to go all beeyatch though, as I find you get further by being a nice person!
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Walk into school... grab my backpack...
          "Paul ------, please come down to the main office"

whoa. she left a little plush doggy and a tin of Hersheys Kisses for me

Now I feel bad, I just have two dozen flowers for her. I need to find something plush -- fast!
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Being scary

I'm 5'3", just on 200 pounds, middle-aged. I look like everybody's favorite aunt.

Apparently, though, I can also look:
            ~ like everybody's most hated school principal
            ~ psychotic
            ~ like I eat babies
            ~ meaner than Simon Cowell

when I choose to. I've cowed bikers. I've had big scary fighters in armor going "yes, ma'am. no, ma'am, I'm sorry, ma'am." Friends have asked me to teach them "the look".

I guess it's a gift.

Comment

It's all in the air of authority you show the world. Back in my middle school days (when dirt was clean and rocks were soft) I had some schmuck bump into me pretty hard and I landed face first into my locker. I mumbled something under my breath at him and he heard it and took offense to it. Turned around and punched me in the face knocking me back on my ass. He followed it up with the obligatory "And what are you going to do about it punk?"

Now at the time I was 5'9 and 75 pounds sopping wet (I did not cross the 100lb mark until I was 19) and a total nerd. Hell I was the kid that the 96lb weaklings would beat on.

Somehow I didn't even feel the pain from the fist to the face. My nose bleeding profusely I stand up, looked him in the eye and I smiled at him. You know the smile...it's the smile Hannibal Lector gets when he meets his next dinner 'guest' or the one leatherface gets when the latest advertising flier in the mail about the 50% off sale on chainsaws at walmart.

You know, the one where it clearly shows that you are so happy and thinking warm thoughts because you are 30 seconds from rending the flesh off his body and will be using his lower intestines as a garrot kind of smile.

The bully freaks and runs off. THEN the pain hits me and I collapse

Adrenaline can be fun

M
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Hey, there's an idea. Little device on your wrist. If it detects you got a slight injury, from say, a punch... administers some adrenaline so you don't feel it

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
                  Alright, just got off of my shift, learning that I get to work 11 days in a row... while attending high school. Hoo-rah.
                  Is that even allowed? Or are you 18? I know all the high school kids I've worked with had restrictions on how much they could work under state law.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have a very tall family

My brothers are all rather intimidating as they are all quite a bit over 6 feet tall and built like the up to college level athletes they were. But they are gentile giants.

One time we were leaving Penneys and my tallest brother 6'8 played high school football knee injury kept him from going further and some bratty kids let a door slam in front of an older ladys face.

He just looked at them and they scrammed.

Comment

Now I feel bad, I just have two dozen flowers for her. I need to find something plush -- fast!
                      Hell two dozen anything isn't bad... I wouldn't feel guilty about that.

And damn I wish I could be intimidating. I'm 4'10" and about 115 lbs... The most I could do would be to give the "hairy eyeball" look that my great-grandma taught me. Although I do have to say it's definitely effective in steering my Marine Corps boyfriend in the right direction. Ha ha, screw the drill instructors, I gotta hairy eyeball!
                      I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                      "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                        Hell two dozen anything isn't bad...
                        Two dozen condoms would be a little... creepy.

And yes, I am 18, so I can work 11 days in a row. Hell, when I was 17, my old boss had me work 11 days in a row -- he got away with it because i worked 6 days one week, and the remaining 5 in the next week -- apparently every Sunday resets the daycounter.

Comment

Two dozen condoms would be a little... creepy.
                          Maybe, but there are two things I can say to that:
                          1-Kudos for being prepared
                          2-You know she won't be buggin you for a lil bit-o-ass anytime soon if you have those kinda plans in mind.

*Sigh* How I wish the bf needed 24 condoms...
                          I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                          "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Hey, there's an idea. Little device on your wrist. If it detects you got a slight injury, from say, a punch... administers some adrenaline so you don't feel it
                            Going to let my inner geek out for just a moment here, but you reminded me of a scene in one of Adam Warren's "Dirty Pair" graphic novels in which Kei is rather severely wounded (one foot nearly blown off) and her wardrug implants dump loads of painkilling happy drugs into her system, so that she thinks it's hilarious that she's hurt, but she's feeling no pain.

Oh, and I love your avatar. What's the origin?
                            He loves the world...except for all the people.
                            --Men at Work

Comment

And yes, I am 18, so I can work 11 days in a row. Hell, when I was 17, my old boss had me work 11 days in a row -- he got away with it because i worked 6 days one week, and the remaining 5 in the next week -- apparently every Sunday resets the daycounter.
                              My old manager used to do that too...but luckily she never did it to me...I purposely wasn't available on Sundays just to make sure I'd have at least one consistent day off.

But they are gentile giants.
                              As opposed to Jewish Giants?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X