This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreNatal Massages and Me, the SC

I think I'm guilty of being an SC today, but in my defense, it's probably my hormones.

I called a place in the phone book that said they offered PreNatal massage therapy (yes, I'm preggo, found out last night!). The girl who answered the phone was nice, but a little dim. I got frustrated.

Me: Hi, I saw in the phone book that you offer prenatal massages. Is this correct?
    Girl: Ummmm, I don't know. Let me check -hold music- Yes we do.
    Me: Okay, can I have your rates?
    Girl: Well, you have to see our chiropractor first, and that initial consultation is 50 dollars.
    Me: Well, I'm not going to get chiropractic treatment. I'm pregnant. That wouldn't exactly be safe. I just want a prenatal massage. How much would that be?
    Girl: I can't tell you that until you have the initial consultation with the chiropractor.
    Me: Are the chiropractor and the massage therapist the same people?
    Girl: No, they're seperate.
    Me: ... so, why on earth do I need to see the chiropractor before the masseuse?
    Girl: That's just the way it is.
    Me: Yeah... I'm not going to come to y'all. *click*

So, vote... was I an SC? I mean, I know they have policies, but why do I have to have a 50 dollar consultation with a person who I'm not even going to use their services???

-PW Elle
    You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

A bit of an attitude, but not an SC. This was obviously a set-up to get people into the chiropractor's office. The chiropractor is probably one of those that tells you have to come in every week for life.

Ask around. Look for a CMT. Then get only a small area massaged. If it felt good and you liked the masseuse, then get the full body massage.

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Considering this woman responded to your valid question with "That's just the way it is", you were not an SC. Everything has an explanation, and something like "Why am I paying for this if I don't need it" should ALWAYS be answered. It may be for insurance reasons, it may be for other reasons, but if they can't be bothered to tell you WHY, to hell with 'em.

Congrats on the kid!
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Nah. When you're dealing with obviously idiotic mo-rans like these folks, they need a little bit of lip. It's good for them.

However, I would call back and ask to speak to the chiropractor or the massage person personally, just to insure it wasn't an idiotic front desk girl who didn't have any clue what was going on and/or was just trying to get you off the phone so she could go back to sniffing nail polish.

Congrats...I've consulted my voodoo and we're predicting a girl! (I make no claims that this stuff actually works, though, heh.)
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Massage

Quoth wagegoth View Post

Then get only a small area massaged. If it felt good and you liked the masseuse, then get the full body massage.

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
          I can't get a regular full body massage, (although I used to get them all the time), because apparently there's certain pressure points that if they are massaged, can increase the risk of miscarriage. I love massages. I did find a place with a masseuse who's licensed specifically for prenatal, so I'm going there. I was just a little peeved at the chiropractor who wanted to damage me.

Oh, and thanks!

-Elle

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Congrats on the baby!!!

I might have been a little irritated about that as well. I mean, it kind of feels like a trick. Obviously not the receptionists fault that they do that but it should be clearly stated somewhere that you have to see the Chiropractor first.

I have been to the Chiropractor while pregnant. When my back goes- it REALLY goes sometimes to the point I can't walk by myself. Or my neck will go out so badly I can't move my head. Then I have to go to the chiroprator- pregnant or not because it won't get better until the disc(s) is put back where it's supposed to be.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

Preggers

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
              Congrats...I've consulted my voodoo and we're predicting a girl! (I make no claims that this stuff actually works, though, heh.)
              You're the second person who's predicted I'll have a girl. I want a girl (although either gender would be fine) so I'm hoping you're right.

What's funny... a lady I work with told me she could tell two weeks ago that I was preggo. That's before I knew!

-Elle

Comment

I just quit my job as a "Chiropractic Assistant" - and it was *definitely* a scam to get you into the chiropractor. And they would have wanted to see you at least once a week, and then they'd tell you that the BABY would need to come in once a week, etc etc. Some chiropractors do good work, and I'm not saying they are all like that...but a lot of them are. They need to lay off on the heavy-handed sales tactics. Its not becoming of health care professionals.
                Good call not going in.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth PW_Elle View Post
                  What's funny... a lady I work with told me she could tell two weeks ago that I was preggo. That's before I knew!
                  My mom was really good at that. I learned that her secret was that pregnant women's waistlines expand first. It's not necessarily obvious, but a little fullness around the waist, especially in a woman that's slim, can be an excellent tell. I've used it myself.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    pregnant women's waistlines expand first.
                    Haha, I've noticed... I need new jeans already. DH says that we can go shopping soon and spend a few hundred on cute maternity clothes to make me feel better (I've had some bad bouts of nausea already and don't exactly love my bloated body).

-Elle

Comment

Wow, baby season! Congratulations!!

I have 1 friend who just had her first (a little girl) this past Friday, and 2 friends who found out they are pregnant (both with their 2nd) just before Christmas. The one just sent ultrasound pics (looks like a little alien--all you can see are the head and spine), and the other goes for US in a couple weeks.

Is this your first? Good luck! Hope you are feeling better soon

-ams-
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't think you were an SC at all! This is why I don't work for a chiropractor - I'd worry about just being a prequel to their services. IMO, the receptionist was totally out of line. With any kind of 'bodywork', the main priority is to put the client at ease. ESPECIALLY a newly pregnant women. To be frank, I'd worry about a business where the front desk knows that little about the services.

You were in the right - even if you got the least bit snarky.

(Just as an FYI, you don't have to book for a prenatal massage until you're in your 2nd trimester, or start to show pretty well. Just let the massage therapist know that you're pregnant. The main things you need to avoid is the meaty part of the palm between the thumb and index finger, and along the bones of your ankles. If you're pregnancy is progressing normally, there's not a whole lot else to worry about - beyond keeping the pressure gentle on your lower back.)

I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ... - Dane Cook

Comment

Captain Crunch with Crunchberries tastes the same coming up as it does going down. (For those bad days).
                          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                            Captain Crunch with Crunchberries tastes the same coming up as it does going down. (For those bad days).
                            What the hell are you speaking about?

Congratulations to you and your husband
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                              Ewwwwww LOL

Candied ginger worked wonders for me when I was preggers with my oldest. (I miraculously had NO symptoms at all with my second, and hey, I hardly even noticed when labor was going on She's adopted LOL)
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X