This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cake is too tall

Had a gem today. We don't normally do cakes on short notice but some woman called in today and asked for a small fruit flan. Because these are usually easy and quick to do, and I had cake sponge plus a good supply of fresh fruit, I agreed. She had wanted a round cake but we only do oblongs - she was apparently OK with that. So I made a nice little 8 x 12 fruit flan, two layers of white cake with custard filling, fresh berries, real whipping cream for the finish, etc., and when she came in she decided she didn't want it. It wasn't a fruit flan as she had pictured, it was "too tall". We decided just to put it out for sale, hope somebody grabbed it. At least she bought some cinnamon buns -

Now I want one! That sounds delicious!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh my that sound soooo good.

Comment

Can I have some too? Sounds so good, it's making me HUNGRY, and I don't care if it's too tall or not!

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
          yes it sounds yummy.

how much you wanna bet she'll try (or tried) to come back and buy it on 'discount'

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
            You think it only sounds good? Try Googling images for "fruit flan". Your keyboard with short out from all the drool!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Pity you didn't make her a custard pie instead - SPLAT!!

That flan sounds wonderful. Going to have to make one now!
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I'm glad someone posted pictures because in my neck of the woods flan is something completely different - it is a custard with a caramel base that you invert on a plate to serve and IMO are a bitch to make right. The closest thing to a fruit flan I've ever had had a few raspberries on the side.
                Your cake sounds delicious! I hope someone bought it. I wonder if the lady was trying to get a discount on the cake by complaining about it.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                  I'm glad someone posted pictures because in my neck of the woods flan is something completely different - it is a custard with a caramel base that you invert on a plate to serve and IMO are a bitch to make right.
                  That's actually the first thing that came to mind when I first saw this, too; the google link helped a lot ^_^ I believe the Spanish caramel custard dish is the originator of the term.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    You think it only sounds good? Try Googling images for "fruit flan". Your keyboard with short out from all the drool!
                    And I think my laptop is now in a diabetic coma from looking at all those pics.

Now to get the recipe to make one from scratch . . . . *drooling*
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

But... but...

The cake is a lie!!!

*ducks*
                      I still miss my ex.
                      But my aim is getting better.

Comment

Quoth Midnight_Angel View Post
                        The cake is a lie!!!
                        No, no, no... That's not the right quote for this one...

Everybody loves flan.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X