This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is why you returned it?!

In the backroom today, I noticed somebody had returned a vacuum cleaner because it was defective.

The reason why it was defective? Because the belt broke.

Belts break on vacuum cleaners all the time. It's normal wear and tear. In fact, we even sell the replacement belts.

I wonder if the customer who returned it will return the vacuum cleaner they got as a substitute when its belt breaks. Sounds like a mighty nice way to get a new vacuum cleaner every 4 months or so.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    The reason why it was defective? Because the belt broke.
    The manager who approved that return should be given a dozen lashes with a wet noodle. That's like trying to return a car because the tires wore down, or the brake bads wore out. Probably the same type who will look at the sales figures later and say, 'Hey! Why are our profits down!?".
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Our managers have no say in approving or declining returns, unless it's a no-receipt return.

If the customer presents their receipt, we take the return no questions asked.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
        The manager who approved that return should be given a dozen lashes with a wet noodle. That's like trying to return a car because the tires wore down, or the brake bads wore out. Probably the same type who will look at the sales figures later and say, 'Hey! Why are our profits down!?".
        But we're making it up in volume! Look at all the vacuums leaving our store!

Comment

I had a dinglebutt do that to me one day.

Working at the Orange Box, I got called to returns by the intercom.

Went up, customer had a dirty, used Honda Lawnmower with him. "I want to return this!! It's defective!!!"

"Ok, so, what exactly is bad about it? Looks like you've been using it for a while, doing your lawn chores etc."

"Yeah, its been working, and all of a sudden it's not starting like it used to." (used to..time lapse, hmm)

Looking @ his receipt, it showed TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THE DATE purchase.

"sir....you purchased it 2 years ago."

"Yeah, so?"

"Defective would be it catching on fire or not working DIRECTLY after you purchase it. This here looks like wear and tear, usage of the machine, it gets tired."

"So, what do you mean?"

"do you change your oil in your car?"

"Yes"

"well, same as this. This is an engine, 2 cycle engine. You need to do maintenance on this just the same as you do a car. Take it to the local Honda Small Engine shop, and they can do a tune up for you."

"You're not taking it back?"

"No sir, its not defective, it just needs some TLC."

"Ok."

I got lucky.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            Actually some of the more hoity-toity car makers are including some of, what I consider to be consumables, like brake pads, in their warantees. Go figure.
            Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              Looking @ his receipt, it showed TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THE DATE purchase.
              Cutenoob
              WHY would somebody even THINK they could return something after 2 YEARS??? It would never even occur to me. Customers suck.

Comment

I had a couple that wanted to return a digital camera and photo printer last week because the camera would only take 4 pictures. The customer service rep brought the camera to me and it turned out to be the exact same model I have. It's a very good camera and takes awesome pictures, but has a very limited internal memory (especially on the highest setting), which is true for most cameras. I looked at the camera and there was nothing wrong with it.

So I approached the angry couple and asked them if they were using a memory card when they took pictures. When I informed them that they needed one, they started to call me a liar until I told them that I have the same camera and showed them every nook and cranny of the camera. A little $25 memory card was all they needed to take about 500 pictures.

The couple decided to proceed with the return because "no one" told them that they needed a memory card. BS. I know the guys in the camera department always push the memory cards because they are necessary for almost all the cameras in our store. What probably happened is that they turned it down, thinking that they wouldn't need it. Then here is the female techno-geek making them look like the idiots they are.

The customer service rep was pretty dismayed about taking the return until I assured her that they didn't deserve the camera anyway.
                A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

It could've been worse. They could've returned the vacuum because it didn't match the furniture.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Belts break on vacuum cleaners all the time. It's normal wear and tear. In fact, we even sell the replacement belts.
                    Normal wear and tear for most vacuums, yes. But one we had... Green Eyes would need a new belt more often than a bag change!

Off-topic, but an example of "timing is everything": Green Eyes died a bizarre death, suddenly reversing itself and spitting the trash from the bag back out. As Mom told it, minutes later a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman came by. And made an easy sale. Now that one had its own troubles, but at least it sucked! Still, I've only ever known one vacuum with enough personality to earn a name....

That's like trying to return a car because the tires wore down, or the brake bads wore out.
                    Or like, you know, the belt broke
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                      Actually some of the more hoity-toity car makers are including some of, what I consider to be consumables, like brake pads, in their warantees. Go figure.
                      But they also include in the warrantly that you have to bring the car to them every 2500 miles for inspection and oil changes. Usually at a cost of around ohhh $150.00/trip. I once worked with a woman who was taking her car in every 2-3 weeks due to her 100 mile/day commute.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                        Ya know, I figure if you spend 80,000+ on a vehicle the least they can do is throw in a few break pads. Seriously, what are they losing out on?
                        I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                        "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth Clintmax View Post
                          WHY would somebody even THINK they could return something after 2 YEARS??? It would never even occur to me. Customers suck.
                          I had a return with a 5-year-old receipt. Book was in perfect condition, too; if anyone did read it they were very careful...gave the guy store credit and everyone was happy.

Also had a woman with an 18-month-old receipt, and the book was one of those study guides that gets updated every year. So it was out of print. She was rude and argued and totally pissed me off but I ended up taking the damn thing back anyway. Only one of us was happy, and it wasn't me.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We have been told that as long as all the parts that came with an item are there, we can take the item back. I have had plenty of people return vacuums because they "don't suck enough," "the belt broke," "it doesn't vacuum up cat hair very well," "it smells like burning!" etc. o_O

ooh, and speaking of digital cameras, I recently had a lady return a digital camera because it would only take like 5 pictures before turning off. The problem? She still had the original batteries in it, not special long-lasting batteries that she should have gotten for them. But she still wanted to return the camera,all the parts were there, and it was still in the return period, so I had to take it back.

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                              Ya know, I figure if you spend 80,000+ on a vehicle the least they can do is throw in a few break pads. Seriously, what are they losing out on?
                              You spend $80,000 on your vehicles??? Geez... and I was feeling faint at the thought of taking a loan out for $15,000.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X