Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blind woman in Wheelchair put in front of our store.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind woman in Wheelchair put in front of our store.

This Blind woman (Or She could be half blind if she can make it to the store herself) that apparently appears in front of our store from some rude presence with no companion needs one of our associates to wheel her around the cart to find things around the store. If you ever get personal shoppers don't you wonder how they make it to the store that you work at?
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

I hate that, I know it sucks on her end but you can't expect the whole world to bend over backwards to help you.

At the hospital we get that all the time ofcourse. It's a big pain in the butt when smone drops off an elderly patient that dosen't know why there at the hospital or has any paperwork. Of couse they drop the patient over at registration for us to deal with even if they're there for the ER or for the business office.

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post
      It's a big pain in the butt when smone drops off an elderly patient that dosen't know why there at the hospital

They're there because they are afraid they're going senile!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Sorry, I don't get it. Perhaps she is capable of finding her way around outdoors, knows what roads to cross, etc or *gasp* even takes a taxi to the shop. Peering at items on shelves and trying to read labels is VERY different and its quite reasonable to ask for someone to help you.

Is this lady actually rude or sucky in anyway, apart from the huge inconvenience of her being blind and in a wheelchair (which arguably is more of an inconvenience to her than it is to you)?
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
          Sorry, I don't get it. Perhaps she is capable of finding her way around outdoors, knows what roads to cross, etc or *gasp* even takes a taxi to the shop. Peering at items on shelves and trying to read labels is VERY different and its quite reasonable to ask for someone to help you.

Is this lady actually rude or sucky in anyway, apart from the huge inconvenience of her being blind and in a wheelchair (which arguably is more of an inconvenience to her than it is to you)?
          Applause and ovations, Barefootgirl. Well put.

Now, lest this becomes a huge fight over the rights and respect of the disabled, I shall say no more.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Its unfair

I am sorry, but I think its unfair for someone to show up and expect store assistants to be their personal assistant.
            If they only want one or two items it's no problem. Most stores run on skelton staff and taking someone away from their job for the whole hour to do your shopping for the week is inconsiderate. All your colleagues will get mad because you are not doing your share of the work and you will find it difficult to leave the poor woman to stumble around on her own.
            ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
            Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

(I gotta play both sides of the fence here cuz I can see both sides of this story)

If she's handicapped, technically she should know it. If she knows it, why didn't she come prepared and bring a buddy? It's like being blind, not bringing your walking stick, and expecting someone else to lead you around just because they should. I feel bad that she has that type of problem, because it is debilitating. My grandma has the same issue, but she is aware she has the problem and always has someone come with her to help her-she doesn't expect the handout.

Did the woman seem to have all her functions? Maybe if she has the beginning stages of Altzheimers (sp?) she may not be as aware... perhaps there are other circumstances surrounding the situation?
              I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
              "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

My grandmother turned 90 last month...and is surprisingly active for her age. She does though, walk with a cane, no longer drives, and sometimes has difficulty getting around. Some days, she simply can't see what's printed on labels. But, rather than throw a fit, she'll just leave and come back later...usually when I can take her. She'd rather get help herself rather than make a scene. However, woe to whoever pisses her off--she's 90, and I'm sure she could still kick my ass
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  f--she's 90, and I'm sure she could still kick my ass
                  I bet I could take her

j/k
                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

My store actually offers personal shopping.

At the low, low price of $20 an hour.

Comment

Who the hell would just drop off an elderly person at the hospital with no paperwork, and just leave them there? And we wonder how so many old people get lost or forget where they are. Can we say, elder abuse?
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I hated personal shopper customers while at OfficeMax.

I have had students who needed their hands held even to do their work for computer classes. If we do have a student who is doing that, we can suggest they make an appointment where they can get the one-on-one attention they need.
                        Op.125

Comment

My mom will be 80 on 2/28. She is as healthy as a horse, is still as active as people 20 years her junior and doesn't take a pill for anything. I thank God for this. She is also blind and deaf. I moved her into my house when she first started getting the effects of her Glaucoma. This decision was a no-brainer for me.

In her own environment, my mother is remarkable. As an example, try blindfolding yourself and simply walk around your house without holding out your hands or having your shins or toes colored purple from bashing them on coffee tables, doorways, etc. I haven't seen her bump her legs on anything in 5 years.

Out of this environment, she is vulnerable. She can't see walk signs or hear audible walk signals. She can't see or hear traffic, including horns or sirens. Being disoriented is very scary, although I think it may be more scary for me than her.

This being said, I would never simply drop her off somewhere and expect someone to drop what they're doing to get her what she needs or where she needs to be. I'm her son. That's MY job, my responsibility. The thing I hate most of all in this world are people who shirk their responsibilities as a matter of convenience to them. My mom almost died when I was born. She spent 21 years raising me to be a good man. I owe her my life. She kept me safe then and I keep her safe now.

/rant

Happy Birthday Mom, and thank you.
                          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Sadly this happened all too often at B&N and Borders. (What IS it about bookstores anyway?) Disabled, sick, elderly, and metally handicapped family were frequently dropped off at opening and picked up after closing. It made me sick with worry and made me want to hurt the people who didn't want to take care of their family members.

I had a frequent customer at music store hell who was blind. He was the sweetest gentleman, and I led him around the store by the crook of his arm. it was kind of funny b/c I'm 4' 11" and he was probably 6' 5". He was always astounded by my music knowledge and he thought I was no more than 15 by the sound of my voice. He liked that I smelled like vanilla all the time too.

I gladly dropped everything I was doing when he came in to help him. He said I never made him feel like a burden when he came in like others stores do. That almost made me cry. I never saw him before I left so I hope he's doing alright.
                            If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                              She spent 21 years raising me to be a good man. I owe her my life. She kept me safe then and I keep her safe now.
                              That's why I help take care of Grandma. She's taken care of everyone for years. It's no wonder that most people are protective of her...my family in particular. (It's one of those "if you hurt her, we come after you" situations.) Now it's time we take care of her. I help her pay the bills, take her shopping, etc. as well as help around the house. I figure that it's only fair--she did let me live with her (and put up with me) through college. She helped me get a car, as well as my internship at the bank. As if that wasn't enough, she made many of my clothes when I was little, and didn't hesitate to help the family out if/when she could. Throw in the 'fridge she bought for my house, and I consider all things even...and then some. Because of that, I have no problem helping her out when I can.

Even so, she thinks that she's a burden to me. Sure, it's time-consuming (and annoying at times) to help her, but it's only fair.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X