This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't I look Puerto Rican?

I'm a cashier at Wal-Mart & one of the things that gets my goat are these spanish people who come through my register who for whatever reason don't realize that I'm Puerto Rican & can not only understand spanish but speak it as well.
    I've had spanish people talk bad about me while I'm ringing them up clueless to the fact that I understand EVERYTHING they're saying. So when I talk back to them in spanish they get the most shocked expression. Some have have yelled at me wanting to know why I didn't say that I could understand. I tell them that I don't have to.
    Maybe I'm not dark enough.....lol.

Heck, I'm a white girl and I don't look anything but white, but I still understand and speak a pretty decent amount of Spanish---I took it for 6 years in school and one of my college roommates was Mexican. It still makes me giggle when I can shock people by responding when they're talking $hit or making comments about my looks/breasts/behind in the same language they think they're being all sneaky in.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      I've had spanish people talk bad about me while I'm ringing them up clueless to the fact that I understand EVERYTHING they're saying.
      I once had an SC couple who thought they'd be cute (READ: pretentious) while I was waiting on them by making fun of me -- in German.
      Not their lucky day, since I speak German, netter than they did and well enough to correct their grmmar, syntax, and pronunciation.

Comment

I've had them say nasty things and scowl at me just for replying to them in English.

Examples:

Them: Hola!
        Me: Hello
        Them: *scowls and says something nasty to their companion in Spanish*

Them: Gracias
        Me: You're welcome
        Them: *scowls and mutters some insult*

Them: Buenas Dias!
        Me: "Good morning."
        Them: *Scowls and insults me in Spanish*

Comment

My girlfriend speaks Hmong... she occasionally says something to me, then says something to her cousin in hmong, and I'm like... 'what?'
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth Bonnie Bitch View Post
            I once had an SC couple who thought they'd be cute (READ: pretentious) while I was waiting on them by making fun of me -- in German.
            Not their lucky day, since I speak German, netter than they did and well enough to correct their grmmar, syntax, and pronunciation.
            That's priceless right there.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I grew up in central Texas. I speak a smattering of Spanish. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, and look like I would speak German, if anything. The one time I went across the border into Nuevo Laredo, I found it more prudent to let everyone think that I had no idea what was being said (about me)! (I understand a heck of a lot more than I can speak.) I just let my (then) husband know that we needed to get the heck outta there NOW. I never did explain to him exactly why, but then he didn't really need to know.

Even now, I prefer to let people think I don't understand them, unless there is a darned good reason otherwise.

I'm not prejudiced...I hate all idiots equally.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                It still makes me giggle when I can shock people by responding when they're talking $hit or making comments about my looks/breasts/behind in the same language they think they're being all sneaky in.
                I just did that the other day in a car parts store. The guy was talkin to an employee (a friend I'm guessing cuz they looked nothing alike) in Spanish about his dating woes. I'm standing nearby with my boyfriend while he looks something up. The two of them looked me up and down as I came to the counter, then started talking about whether or not they thought I was good looking, and highlighting my assets-in a male-slut kinda way. So I turn to one of them and, in Spanish, said thanks, but you're pissing me off and my boyfriend can beat your ass so you should probably stop.

They both turned red, and the employee was walking off as I was leaving.

God it was awesome!
                I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Working...
                X