This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was an order

Ri-i-i-i-ing. (beep). Ri-i-i-i-ing. (beep beep).

"(Store)'s Deli"
    "How much is your 100 piece chicken?"
    "$79.99"
    "Okay, how much would it be for 150 pieces of chicken?"
    "$119.98 before tax, $125.98 after tax, and we'd need a three-day ahead notice"
    "Okay, and how much are wedges?"
    "Thanks, bye"

I look up, someone was waiting at the counter since about 30 seconds into the call. They aren't happy. They order their chicken, giving me a smug look the entire time... then wander away.

The next day, a note appears from the boss. "We have recieved complaints about employees talking on phones. From now on, no cell phones are allowed. You must either leave them home or in your car."

The hell? All of us keep our cell phones in the back room. Nobody has ever used one in view of a customer, except when they were off-duty, and even then, they weren't standing in the deli.

1) Some of us drive straight from school to work, so we can't leave our phones at home
    2) It is not very good for a cell phone to be left in a car when the temperature is below freezing.
    3) The customer just completely lied, telling management I was using my cell phone for a personal call. "Yes sir, my cell phone is used by the company to recieve chicken orders...... and is this large tabletop phone connected to the landline".
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Is it worth bringing in your cell phone record for that day showing you didn't make or receive any calls during the time you were working?

What a uppity entitlement queen that customer was!

Comment

Well to be fair the note didn't mention you, and it said "Complaints". I can't imagine that one person complaining about a phone call would cause that.

If nothing else tell your manager that you don't understand the point of this notice because all phones are in the back room, and that the only time a customer has complained to you was the other day when you were on the company phone taking an order.

Comment

Of course, leaving your cell in the car on a hot day wouldn't be exactly healthy for the phone, either...
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Hell leaving the phone in the car is bad idea anyway, for 2 reasons
          1. Weather
          2. Theft, someone might break into the car. I know you wouldn't leave it in plain sight, but I am just saying
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

See it bugs me when a company tries to pull this crap.

An employer can NOT tell you what you can or can not bring to work as long as it is kept in the employee's locker (well obviously not drugs or alcohol or bombs) but saying you cant keep your cell phone in your purse or backpack is just absurd!

As long as your not using it during working hours (not your breaks of course) then who are they to say what you can an can not bring!
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

The "complaints" is single-tense. A single complaint will magically be numerous.

I overcook ONE piece of fish, and the next day we have a note about how "There were complaints of overcooked fish".

We sell one Nesco of chicken, "Complaints of chicken in nescoes being too greasy"

So, most likely, those complaints were one impatient customer bitching to the owner.
              I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
              less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                If nothing else tell your manager that you don't understand the point of this notice because all phones are in the back room, and that the only time a customer has complained to you was the other day when you were on the company phone taking an order.
                That's good advice. I'm ashamed that I didn't think of it myself.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                  Well to be fair the note didn't mention you, and it said "Complaints". I can't imagine that one person complaining about a phone call would cause that.
                  Heh, I can. But true, they can't tell you you can't bring your phone into the building, though it is reasonable that they have to be in your locker and turned off.

(Someone in my old store had a habit of locking their phone in their locker but leaving it turned on. People trying to relax on their break would suddenly hear one of the obnoxious ringtones this person was partial to, from their apparently many friends...)
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
                    The hell? All of us keep our cell phones in the back room. Nobody has ever used one in view of a customer, except when they were off-duty, and even then, they weren't standing in the deli.
                    Maybe the customer simply did not know what a cell phone is . . . ? Honestly, how can you mistake a regular phone for a cell? Does the bulky/blocky shape throw them off? How about the long, curly cord attached to the phone and receiver? How about the fact that you have to physically hang up the phone to end the call (as opposed to simply pushing a button or closing the phone)?

Sounds like this person was complaining just for the sake of hearing themselves complain.

As for the "no cell phone" rule, I'd just turn the damn thing off and keep it in a pocket . . . (although kinda depending on how strict your managers are . . .)
                    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Was she old, have white hair, and wear her glasses down on her nose HA HA HA

It sounds like the old biddy that comes to our deli, and if you do NOT wait on her right then and there... she complains. It does not matter if you are with another customer or not. I hate that woman

Comment

Ah, upon closer inspection, the note just says "A customer complaint"

So yes, a single complaint is all it takes

Comment

Working...
                        X