X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's a surgeon!

A surgeon came into my store today.

He came in with a sweater made of very fine, hairy yarn that was damaged. He'd snagged it on a nail and pulled one of the stitches way out, and he wanted to know if I could fix it. Looking at it, I saw that it was going to be a time-intensive job, because the yarn was thin, and all those little hairs would catch on each other, but if I were to tug too hard, I'd run the risk of snapping the yarn. I guesstimated it'd take me an hour or two, so I told him I'd do it for $20. He hesitated, then agreed.

(If he'd turned me down, I wouldn't have lowered my price -- I simply wouldn't have done it. For commission work, I tend to charge people the least amount of money that I feel is necessary for me to be willing to do the work.)

Anyway, a moment later, he started complaining about the price. He did the usual SC thing of throwing in the random factoid that he was a surgeon, like that's supposed to impress me. If he's such hot stuff, why can't he fix his own damn sweater?

I explained to him about how careful I'd have to be with the sweater in order to do the job right, and how it would probably take me between one and two hours. While I'm explaining this, the owner came out of the office. She overheard the tail end of it, and overheard him saying that he was "joking" when he was complaining. (He SO wasn't joking!). The owner then joins with this guy mocking me for being "too serious".

EXCUSE ME?! He's entrusting this valuable piece of clothing to me, and laughing at me for taking the repair work seriously? The owner of the store is paying me to be the manager, and laughing at me for taking my job too seriously? WHAT THE HELL?! What, should I completely ruin the sweater by spraying it with silly string? Should I stop coming to work because I'm hung over from partying all night? What?

Grr. That happened pretty early in the day, but I never managed to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I work hard because I enjoy being good at what I do. I understand that there are people who aren't that way, and that's fine with me. As long as their work ethic doesn't inhibit mine, I don't care. I'm old and wise enough to have realized that not everyone is the same, and that's okay. But it really ticks me off when people get defensive and start belittling me for taking my work seriously-- I mean, I don't ask for praise, I just ask that I not be taunted for it. I don't bitch at them for slacking, nor would they want me to. What gives them the right?

(I fixed the sweater, BTW. It took about an hour and a half, and it was INTENSE work that gave me a splitting headache. You can't even tell the repairs were done at all -- they're perfect.)

Quoth Arachne View Post
    He did the usual SC thing of throwing in the random factoid that he was a surgeon, like that's supposed to impress me.

Shoulda raised your quote after hearing about Daddy Warbucks's job.

Also a very crappy thing for your superior to be doing. Yeah, I take my paycheck seriously. Got a problem with that?
    No good news is good bad news

Comment

Yep, most surgeons have a God complex. Actually, most doctors are like that...and unfortunately, some of the old school ones are highly sexist as well (Thanks the gods that her Pops isn't like that!)
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

What a creep. I would bet the house he wasn't "joking" and thought he'd at least try for a price reduction. The owner isn't the sharpest crayon in the box if they couldn't see it.

We always get people trying to negotiate price with us. My husband has it down to an art. He'll negotiate with them all right but he negotiates up and he can do it so deadpan that it's just frustrating for people and they give up.

My favorite was when a guy tried to get him to give a "two for one" deal. After a minute he said 'ok' and quoted a price that was more than the cost of the "two". The guy actually went for it...... long enough to do the math, turned and told him to just charge them separately.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

If he's a surgeon, shouldn't he be able to do the stitching himself?

Rapscallion

Comment

*thread title*
            "Hey!
            Cuttin' for the very first time...
            He's a suh-uh-uh-urgeon,
            Organ transplants, are his line."
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

"If he's such hot stuff, why can't he fix his own damn sweater?"

If he's such hot stuff, I would think 20 bucks would be nothing to him.

The guy that fixed my knee came in whining about the price of some stuff at Kinko's once. I should preface this with saying I like this doctor, I like him as a doctor and as a person. But you know what, I also happen to know firsthand the guy makes some serious coin. He can't afford a stack of copies without whining? Sheesh, he didn't give me a break on the freaking knee surgery he did on me, nor did I ask for one or complain. What gives with these guys?

Comment

He's a surgeon, woohoo. You're still able to do something he wasn't able to do for himself, therefore your skill was valuable to him. He acted an ass.
                He loves the world...except for all the people.
                --Men at Work

Comment

Okay so you're joking huh? Well the charge is now $40 - it now includes the 'customer is an idiot' fee.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    *thread title*
                    "Hey!
                    Cuttin' for the very first time...
                    He's a suh-uh-uh-urgeon,
                    Organ transplants, are his line."
                    *Stares a computer for a good minute.*

Oh! NOW I get it!

Back on topic...

The company I work for deals with a company called "Window Surgeon". They fix windshields for us. Since they are technically surgeons, shouldn't they get a discount on sweater fixing?

(And BTW-if the sweater was as nice as you said it was, I would have thought that paying $20 to fix it would be a steal!)
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I get complaints about pricing where I work all the time.

My favorite is when one person tells his/her spouse/friend: "This is a rip-off! Let's get our Friend That's Good With Computers to fix it for free!"

Well, if your FTGWC could get WinAntiVirusPro off your computer, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? Come back when your FTGWC screws it up even more than it already is.
                      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

It always amazes me when people want expert advice on how to do something...yet complain about the price to pay for expert knowledge. They'll then storm out, and go to "Joe Blow's Discount Repairs" instead...who will promptly screw things up even more. They'll then have to come *back* to the expert to get it done right...all the while bitching about the entire experience
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Pfft. If he'd gone to someone who didn't know what they were doing, I know what would have happened. They would have broken the yarn, STILL been unable to fix the pulled stitch, and then tried to iron the sweater to even out the difference. Ironing the sweater would have completely destroyed it beyond my ability to fix it without spending hours and hours on it. (Just in case anyone's wondering: Never, ever, ever iron fuzzy clothing. You will get mashed down fuzzy clothing. If you MUST iron, set it on the steam setting and hold the iron WELL OVER the garment, then just let the steam hit it.) At that point, he would have been screwed, because I'm not even sure I love Mr. Fly enough to spend hours trying to spit splice the yarn and steam the damage away from something like that, and Mr. Fly sleeps with me.

Comment

You'd think a surgeon would understand things like paying for expertise and precise detail work...
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                              You'd think a surgeon would understand things like paying for expertise and precise detail work...
                              Yes, but a bad surgeon might not.
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                              X