This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing pet peeve...

Where I work, there's only one escalator, and it goes up, but some people, kids especially, seem to like walking down the damn thing!

So one Sunday (two weeks ago I think, I can't remember, but an incident today made me remember the events) some of the 'Sunday regulars' as I call them (politely known as 'Irish travellers') decide to do just that. These kids are the kind where you've got to let them have it with both barrels otherwise they don't pay you attention.

It should be noted that when I'm telling someone not to get down the escalator, I do speak harshly, then calm down once they get off, except this time.

Me-
    B1- The one who actually walked down the escalator, boy in his tweens/early teens
    G- his female friend
    B2- A vocal friend
    LP: Security guard, short white New Yorker and full of awesome.
    There was another boy, but he kept his mouth shut.

Me: Oi! If you want to go down, go down the stairs!
    B1: I'm just waiting for my friends to come up.
    Me: Then do it away from the escalator.
    (his friends come up, and he grumbles as he sits on the display premier seat)
    Me: (getting all of their attention) Listen, I don't say these things for the good of my health, I'm telling you this because-
    G: I didn't do anything!
    Me: I'm talking to all of you about this to make sure no one does it. Now, the reason I spoke out about this is-
    B2: He's the one who did it!
    Me: I'm telling all of you for future reference (indicate the area where the brainstem and the spinal chord meet on my head) this area is actually pretty vulnerable. If you slipped and one of those jagged edges hit that area, what do you think would happen?
    (the group goes silent)
    Me: Exactly. Kaput. Dead.
    LP: You know your friend who decided to slide down the banister? He's lucky he only got off with a dislocated shoulder, that stunt could've broken his neck too!
    Me: Well said, we want everyone to be safe, and if it means spelling out that what you're doing is dangerous, then we're going to do it. All right?
    (the group mumble a general chorus of agreement)
    Me: Good.

Many many years ago at a local mall one of my friends thought it would be funny to down the up escalator. She got herself and us dragged to the security office where all our parents were called. Since none of my other friends didn't do it, we got off with a warning. But the friend who was caught was banned, and if she came back without her parents in the next six months, she'd be taken off to juvi.

My parents (mostly my mom) were upset, and it didn't matter that I had said I didn't have anything to do with it, nor did it do any good for the security to tell them I didn't do anything either.

The girls parents? Oh it must have been our bad influence. Yeah, it was our bad influence to tell her not to do it and to keep ourselves out of trouble while she was physically dragged to the security office.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Emerald Knight View Post
      Me: I'm telling all of you for future reference (indicate the area where the brainstem and the spinal chord meet on my head) this area is actually pretty vulnerable. If you slipped and one of those jagged edges hit that area, what do you think would happen?
      (the group goes silent)
      Me: Exactly. Kaput. Dead.
      Don't know about that but to this day I have 3 parallel scars running up my left ankle after I slipped and fell running down an up escalator while a little bit drunk.
      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

I'm too scared of escalators to do something like that. When I was 3 one ate my flipflop.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Lawmeister: I fell down stairs countless times, heck, I fell down my boyfriend's stairs not that long ago and battered the back of my head as well as getting carpet burn on my elbow and hand.

But these are the kinds of customer that need a good hard shock to get them to listen to you. As you've probably guessed, I don't hold back with that either.

Comment

There was recently a death in Manchester (UK) city Centre due to a kid messing around on an escaltor and fell three floors. So bad things do happen.

Comment

"THAT DAMN KID IS ON THE ESCALATOR AGAIN!"
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Only has an up escalator...

...Do you work at Ikea? I was just at the new one here in Denver and nowhere to be found was a 'down' escalator. Either a freight elevator, or stairs...

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  I'm too scared of escalators to do something like that. When I was 3 one ate my flipflop.
                  That just gave me a terrifying mental image *shudders*
                  Answers: $1
                  Correct Answers: $2
                  Answers that require thought: $5
                  Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Quoth Kisa View Post
                    As in: "Sometimes it flips up, but usually it's floppy."?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I walk down the down ones because I figure they're kinda like those airport things where I just move faster. Many times at my mall there ARE NO STAIRS. I'd use them if there were any. Honestly I hate escalators because I once got my shoelace stuck in one and it tried to eat my whole damn foot when I was a kid. Stairs are my friend. I've never tried to go up a down or down an up though... I could see it being pretty hilarious to watch but dumb to try.

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                        Me, too. Glad all it ate was the shoe.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I get too nervous on an escalator as it is. I'd never try going the wrong way on one. At least Food Lady has a good reason though. I have no idea why escalators make me so nervous. They just do. Too many scare stories about shoes/laces getting caught, I think.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Once one ate the skirt of my favourite dress.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                              I walk down the down ones because I figure they're kinda like those airport things where I just move faster.
                              That's actually how you're supposed to use escalators. If only I could get the yahoos around here to understand that.

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                              I get too nervous on an escalator as it is. I'd never try going the wrong way on one. At least Food Lady has a good reason though. I have no idea why escalators make me so nervous. They just do. Too many scare stories about shoes/laces getting caught, I think.
                              My mom only has trouble with the down escalators. But that's due to her acrophobia.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X