X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flawed Credit Card Logic

First time poster long time reader.

I work as a telephone CSR for a major retailer that has stores, a website, and its own credit card.

I get a call last night from a customer who had placed an order 2/12. We allow 3-10 business days for standard shipping to arrive from the date the order shipped. My customer had called me directly claiming they were tranfered by "Unfamilar Name" from our credit card department, A) in the very rare instance that the CC department would transfer to us, they would at least start it as a 3-way call and explain whats going on B) later in the call once I had the customers order pulled up the phone number on the order matched the number on my caller ID which would not happen for a transfered call.

The customer explains that the order that shipped 2/13 had not arrived yet, but their most recent credit card billing statement had and it included the charge from this most recent order. The customer states that because they recieved the bill before the merchandise that we should refund the shipping. I eventually get the customer to provide the order number I track the order and see that it tracks as delivered 2/22. I double check the shipping address and it is correct, I ask if customer had been at the address since the 22nd. They had not, and mentioned something about lots of guests coming and going that day, non of whom customer had talked to since the 22nd. I advised the customer to first check at/with the people at the shipping address because most likely the package is there waiting for her. I then advised if the package still is not recieved the customer MUST contact their local post office with the tracking number because the post office would most likely be able to locate the package and get it to the right place. If after contacting the local post office and still no package at that point the customer can call us back with whatever info the PO had and we can either refund, or refund/recharge/reship to a DIFFERENT more secure address.

THE KICKER. The customer had absolutely no concern at all the the package tracked as delivered and they hadn't recieved it (I did give her all the information she would need though). The customer wanted me to refund the $8 on the $54 order because the credit card billing statement arrived before the order. I explained that we allow 3-10 Business days for standard shipping and that the 10th business day would not occur until 2/26 so because the merchandise arrived in the promised timeframe per the tracking information, a shipping refund was not warranted (I can't issue it directly anyways I need to request it from corporate and in this case it would not be granted because the item arrived in time per our policy).

What is the deal with this? She seems to not care at all her products might be lost or stolen but the $8 refund is so important? Does customer not realize because its a credit card purchase customer was billed the moment customer placed the order so the argument of "since I've been charged before the order arrived I shouldn't pay shipping" is completely pointless? If I could violate policy and issue a refund for this pointless reason then does the cusotmer get to place an order every month timing it just right so that the CC statement arrives before the items and now never pays shipping? If customer comes into the 21rst century and gets online banking, do we now have to issue refunds for shipping on any order that the charge posts before the item arrives?

My brain hurts lol :-)
Working...
X