This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Principle

I absolutely loathe customers who bring up the "principle" as a reason for anything. Just typing the word makes me all frowny. In any given argument where a customer is trying to justify why they are so entitled to whatever it is they want, it's always the "principle." It's like they think it's some magic word that will somehow grant them their wishes, no matter how impossible they are.

Customer: I don't want to pay for (insert whatever they think they shouldn't have to pay for).
    Me: I understand the cost of (thing), but if you want (resolution), then we can do (action) for (cost).
    Customer: But... it's not about the cost, I don't care about money. It's the principle!

Have you ever asked a customer what, exactly, the principle is? Just try it, it totally throws them off. Most of them immediately ask for a supervisor or hang up. Those that try to keep fighting only end up realizing how childish they sound. Even their argument becomes immature.

Me: And what is the principle of which you speak?
    Customer: It... Uh... Well.. Damn it... It's not fair!
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Well, see, Mr./Ms. Principle, I am trying to stick to the policy that the company has set and clearly advertised not because I care about costing the company money (cuz they obviously don't), but because IT'S THE PRINCIPLE!!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It doesn't matter if it is being said by a homeless person or Bill Gates, when someone says, "It's not the money, it's the principle," IT'S ALWAYS THE MONEY.
      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

My parents are "principle" whores. Drives me up a frickin tree.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
        X