Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar seizures, and what did you think was going to happen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar seizures, and what did you think was going to happen?

Some of the store's shelf tags are loose and falling off. I fix them when I see them, and sometimes I find that SCs have moved them as well to take advantage of our pricing policy -_-

Given how crazed she was about it, are we sure that's really sugar?

A 'lady' was ranting for a few minutes about sugar. Apparently, she wanted to get the [expensive organic] cane sugar for the price of the white store brand, just because they were next to each other on the shelf and the sale tag overlapped the organic-sugar price tag by a few millimeters. Then she started in about how NONE of the sugar on the shelf is priced...while not every bag/box has a tag (they fall off, idiots scrape them off) most do and it's logical to assume that if 9 of 10 boxes are priced X and the shelf tag says X (it's not hard to discern the brand/type from the shelf tag abbreviations, bu that does require looking at the tag and applying the gray cells), the 10th one will be too. Ultimately, she was demanding 4 bags of the organic brand for free because of a 'price error' but didn't get any.

What did you think was gonna happen?

Another 'first'. Our registers have a smaller conveyor belt after the scanner to send items to the bagger. I wasn't on the register in question, else I would have seen/prevented this.

Someone threw their money down on the smaller belt, which was moving. Yup, it got sucked in; apparently the cashier tried to snatch the bill, but nobody was quick enough. Cue shitfit and ranting about 'you stole from me!' and demands to 'get it back!'.

And something fun

The store has literal stalks of brussels sprouts. Those are kinda cool looking, although the produce scale has issues. They should be the same price as the packages of sprouts (which have a barcode). The stalks only have a price sticker, and apparently the scale gets confused and rings it up at a higher price. So SM gave a customer a free stalk due to the price accuracy policy...cue the customer saying "that's a good deal even at $5, there might be leftovers" and both I and SM staking claim to said leftovers
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I wonder how often money gets sucked down those belts... and how often they have to remove them to retrieve money.

Comment

Quoth Ellf
      I wonder how often money gets sucked down those belts... and how often they have to remove them to retrieve money.
      And you know that if they only occasionally clean it out (barring cases like this) the money that does slip past customer and employee alike is gonna be nasty. Food and liquid drips down there.
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Who's stupid enough to put their money on a moving register belt? Oh ok...I get it...lol

Comment

Bright_star, take a look at the title bar at the top of the page. That should answer your question.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            Who's stupid enough to put their money on a moving register belt? Oh ok...I get it...lol
            Same idiots who are stupid enough to lay their store discount card on the belt, even after I gently suggest they don't (because of that very reason: they can and have been sucked down inside before.)
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I was wondering how much money is down in there, then I think of the leaking meat, etc that's been on the belt and wonder who would want to claim it?

Comment

Oh yes, people counting out their bills and change on the moving conveyor belt. I always caught the bills...barely...but I did miss a few coins. Always because my first reaction is to reach for the money being sucked into the void instead of reaching for the switch to stop the belt.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The belt controls are closer to the large belt on our units, so reaching for the money would be faster and more likely to succeed...the way I see it, better to lose a few small coins than the bills.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    I was wondering how much money is down in there, then I think of the leaking meat, etc that's been on the belt and wonder who would want to claim it?
                    I volunteer for this horrific job.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      At the old grocery store, the back belts actually had a catch bin that was removable, so you could easily get the customer's money. Of course, they didn't get opened very often - usually only when money was in there - so you would often find a couple months worth of onion skins, random tags, etc. All of which had been sitting in a nice marinade of blood from leaking meats, spilled dairy and juices, and the cleaning fluid we used to wash the registers several times a day. And to get the money back you just have to pull it out of the collected muck.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                        ... the collected muck.
                        Wunnerful, wunnerful. Liquids (very) formerly known as food.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ellf View Post
                          I did once have a customer put two or three necklaces on the belt... and then complain when it broke trying to get it out! Of course we didn't have any more of them either which lead to another discussion about how she had to go to another store to get the set for whoever she was buying them for...
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I have NEVER had the urge to put flat thin things on the belt. I have ALWAYS been afraid that they'd be sucked up inside.

Comment

I once had a customer put her trade account card on the front belt, where it promptly got sucked under. Now, there's a little drawer that I can pull out to retrieve missing cards and money and onion skins. However, her card missed it completely, getting stuck underneath the scale, and we (other store employees and myself) had to figure out a way to lift up the scale to get it out*. And, since it was a trade account, I couldn't even begin to start scanning her order until I had the card with her number back.

*After about ten minutes, my manager noticed a little sign saying "lift here".

Comment

Working...
                              X