This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CustomersSuck.com effect

I have a theory and I wonder if I’m the only one who’s noticed this.

I call it the CustomersSuck.com effect, or CS effect for short.

Over the last nine months since I have been to this site, I have become…hardened, as it were. I read amazing stories that make me cringe and rip away chunks of what little faith I have left in humanity. I read stories of entitlement whores, absurd complaints, racism, anger, violence, and a general rudeness and suckiness that pervades throughout the whole.

After watching this site, and seeing how just in the (relatively) short time I’ve been here (I registered back in May of last year, if I remember correctly, before the last hack) I notice a trend of people, well, fighting back. Myself included.

I see four effects:
    • Standing up to sucky customers you come across if they involve you in the situation
    • Standing up to your own sucky customers
    • Standing up to sucky people in general
    • Being much more courteous in customer service situations of your own

Standing up to sucky customers you come across if they involve you in the situation
    I like what Kinkoid suggested about how to respond to someone who treats you like you work at a place your shopping at and talks down to you. I’ve actually done this.

SC: Hey, get over here and help me! I demand service! (or any of the variations of this, usually in a loud demanding voice)
    You: I’m sorry, I don’t work here.
    SC: Oh, I’m sorry.

Do you:

A) Shrug and walk away from it
    B) Call them out on it: “No you aren’t. You weren’t sorry enough to try to treat me like a person when you thought I was beneath you!”

Honestly? I would always do A. But after coming to this site – I always go with the second option when someone accosts me in a rude belligerent manner. And you know what? It sinks into their thick skulls, due to the public embarrassment of the other people nearby.

Or another example. When I was at the supermarket the other day and shoved the lady’s groceries back because she didn’t leave me room to unload my cart. That was a very dramatic move and it WORKED. Would I have done something like that in the past? Maybe not something that dramatic, but I would have probably complained to the cashier, who by now, I have realized would want nothing to do with the situation as there is nothing they could do.

Standing up to your own sucky customers
    Have you ever read a response that is perfect to a situation that didn’t happen to you, and when you find yourself in a similar situation, not knowing what to say, you pull that response out from the corners of your mind and completely shut them down?

“Lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on my part!” or “You’re shopping twenty minutes before the mall closes on Christmas Eve and WE’RE the ones who are unprepared?”

I also find myself being a lot more stern with customers of my own who are belligerent and rude. A few days ago, I had one that wanted me to sit on a piece of furniture so she could get an idea of how her son would look in it. She snapped her fingers and whistled to me like a dog, and literally said “Come here, boy!” I stayed behind the desk with my arms folded. She looked angry and said “What’s wrong?” I looked at her and said “I am not a dog, I ask not to be disrespected and treated as such.” Woman turned beet red and apologized.

Again, something that I would have thought about saying, instead of actually saying it. I can list off countless other examples personally.

Standing up to sucky people in general
    I stand up to suckiness in my non-work life a lot better now. I have the ability to spot sucky employees with a lot more accuracy now and I know who to call out on what. I stand up to people who disrespect me, or talk gossip behind my back, or in general are contributing nothing to my life but just still continue a friendship that neither party is getting anything out of.

Being much more courteous in customer service situations of your own
    The fourth effect is something I’ve done a lot more of now, only because I never really thought of it better now. I tip higher now if the service is good. If I do have a legitimate problem, I will do my best to be calm and collected instead of an entitlement whore, because why? Being nice will get you almost anything you need, if there’s a way to bend the rules and do it. Being sucky or angry? You get nothing. Even in situations where I am completely in the right, I still might show a flash of anger at the situation, but never toward the person across the desk, or on the other end of the phone – I understand their hands are tied and there is no point in raising both our blood pressures in a shouting match.

Also, whenever I am helped with a complaint, I will ALWAYS follow it up with a call to corporate, or ask to speak to the manager, or ask for a supervisor. I let them know exactly how helpful their associate/tech support/salesperson was, and it brightens their day immensely. I find myself really really loving that smile they give when I ask to speak to a manager to tell them how helpful they were. Why? Because I know how that smile feels!

Any other effects or side effects that we can add on to this theory? Any stories where this site has specifically come in handy when dealing with sucky customers?
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

First off, I registered in July and am a brand new memeber somewhat but in the 6 months I've been a member here, I became more stern with my customers, I became more brave towards idiots, and you get the point. About 2 years ago, I would've let some SC into VIP just so I can get them out of my hair and out of fear of getting in trouble. I slowly became more used to dealing with idiots but this site sped it up BIG time. I happily embarass my idiots and take pride in it. I've become less willing to deal with fools and will deal with it as I see fit.

Just the other week, a woman wanted to park in suite and she always did because she treated my coworkers like crap and bitched and moaned, she never had a pass. I put a stop to that and I called her out on her rudeness, she was a mumbling mess after I called her out on it. When I did she yelled at me, called me names, flipped me off, you name it until I simply said: "You always get what you want because you intimidate others, you've met someone who isn't going to put up with your crap and until you can behave like a human being, a normal one I am not speaking to you and you are definitely not coming in here."

I'm not afraid to stand up to idiots in public, I will now call people out on whatever act of stupidity they commit.

As for being a nicer customer, I have always been nice but now I tip more generously, poor student or not.

As for this site, A BIG THANK YOU for giving me the courage and for helping when I deal with my VIP SCs.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I don't know if this site has changed the way I deal with people or not--I'd have to ask somebody else for that. I'd like to think that I've gained a respect, appreciation, and knowledge of some other people's jobs from here.

But I DO know that when I first saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought, "Mmmm. The CS.com effect. I wonder if that's like the Butterfly Effect?"
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I think I try to be a better customer, though I did that before I came here - call it the I've-Worked-Retail Effect. But I'm more aware of it now. On days when I'm tired and don't say much to the cashier, I often walk away wondering if they thought I was rude or something. I think I tip better than most people, especially if it's a small bill my tip will be higher (percentage-wise). I make more of an effort to greet people and smile. And if someone seems like they're stressed out by being busy or another customer holding them up or something else beyond their control I try to make sure they know I'm not upset. I've been known to tell cashiers-run-ragged to take a deep breath (and then I pimp the cs.com).

I registered here several months after I left the store, so I don't deal with sucky customers at work. (yay) And while my boss can be annoying our office is very friendly and laid-back. Actually I worked in the store with my current boss a few years ago. He was a department manager and generally made a point of telling the customers that he was bending the rules for them and that the cashier was right in what they were doing, whenever he would override one of us, instead of just saying yes and leaving us feeling like idiots. I'd like to think if I was back in a retail environment I'd be a bit stronger in the SC department but I don't know. I'm kind of a timid type by nature...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post

But I DO know that when I first saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought, "Mmmm. The CS.com effect. I wonder if that's like the Butterfly Effect?"
          I had the exact same thought! Get out of my head!
          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I know because if this site, I have became a better customer. I stand up to SC's. I treat employees a lot better, then I used too.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

On the other hand, occasionally I have to back off and remind myself "They may just be having a bad day, or just clueless, or dealing with something they don't know anything about, and not be inherintly sucky. Don't snap at them... yet."

Comment

This site is pure therapy for me. I used to back down in the face of suckiness, but I've been doing this job for way too long and my patience with the greed/incompetence/stupidity/laziness/whining of some people is starting to wear thin. That's when i sign on and read stories similar to mine. I know i'm not alone. The same types of idiots cause the same types of problems everywhere else. You guys are like my Internet support group.

It makes me wonder how people dealt with each other fifty or a hundred years ago. Would a customer then react the same as a customer now if say, the hotel was sold out or they couldn't get a discount on already discounted furniture?

And Kus is right, i'm having a better time dealing with customers and being one.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                  Or another example. When I was at the supermarket the other day and shoved the lady’s groceries back because she didn’t leave me room to unload my cart. That was a very dramatic move and it WORKED.
                  Sorry, but unless I'm missing something here that sounds pretty rude on your part. I could easily see this story being told from the other person's POV in Sightings-"I was in line to check out at the grocery store and the guy behind me *shoved* my groceries up to the front because he apparently thought he was too important to have to wait his turn to unload like everybody else!"

Hopefully there's more to the story than what was originally posted and I'm misunderstanding something.
                  "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz View Post
                    Hopefully there's more to the story than what was originally posted and I'm misunderstanding something.
                    The full story can be found here: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=8319

Comment

Ah. I stand corrected.
                      "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

This site gets me through the day, i always have it open on my screen. Its good therapy, it keeps me sane seeing everyone else's stories

Comment

I now pay more attention to what I'm saying and doing. I try to not get angry with people when they can't do anything about it, and I tip more.

Didn't change the way I am with my own customers, that's always been the same.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                            I see four effects:
                            • Standing up to sucky customers you come across if they involve you in the situation
                            • Standing up to your own sucky customers
                            • Standing up to sucky people in general
                            • Being much more courteous in customer service situations of your own
                            Nope, nothing unusual here. This is a documentable effect of this site.

Standing up to sucky customers you come across if they involve you in the situation
                            I like what Kinkoid suggested about how to respond to someone who treats you like you work at a place your shopping at and talks down to you. I’ve actually done this.

SC: Hey, get over here and help me! I demand service! (or any of the variations of this, usually in a loud demanding voice)...

...A) Shrug and walk away from it
                            B) Call them out on it: “No you aren’t. You weren’t sorry enough to try to treat me like a person when you thought I was beneath you!”
                            Frankly I prefer and have used "C" which is "If you were truly sorry then you wouldn't have treated the person you thought worked here like your personal [censored]ing slave in the first place."

“Lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on my part!” or “You’re shopping twenty minutes before the mall closes on Christmas Eve and WE’RE the ones who are unprepared?”
                            And if you say the polite version, then your ass is covered when they go crying to the manager.

I stayed behind the desk with my arms folded. She looked angry and said “What’s wrong?” I looked at her and said “I am not a dog, I ask not to be disrespected and treated as such.” Woman turned beet red and apologized.
                            Awesome! Exactly what you should have done. As much as they don't want to admit it, you are a human being and should expect ot be treated as such.

Again, something that I would have thought about saying, instead of actually saying it. I can list off countless other examples personally.

Standing up to sucky people in general
                            I stand up to suckiness in my non-work life a lot better now.
                            As you should. At work you have to keep it moderated because of company policy or the temperament of the management. Once I'm off the clock the kid gloves come off and I'll defend the cashier being harassed since I know he can't. And unlike the poor person getting harassed, I can and will get personal and nasty.

Being much more courteous in customer service situations of your own
                            It's amazing isn't it? When we understand life from their perspective and treat them in the way they wish to be treated (dignity, respect, etc) they will bend over backwards to help us because we are the one person who wasn't an asshole to them.

Also, whenever I am helped with a complaint, I will ALWAYS follow it up with a call to corporate, or ask to speak to the manager, or ask for a supervisor. I let them know exactly how helpful their associate/tech support/salesperson was, and it brightens their day immensely. I find myself really really loving that smile they give when I ask to speak to a manager to tell them how helpful they were. Why? Because I know how that smile feels!
                            And who knows? You might just be the one call/letter that helps someone make the decision to keep that person on when others are getting laid off or just might be the deciding factor between a $.25 and $.50 raise.
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I have also experienced these effects, even though I'm really new here.

I find myself saying please and thank you more often to phone operators, drive-thru employees, servers, cashiers, etc. I've always done that, but I make a conscious effort to do so now.
                              Just yesterday I actually spoke up and told my friend that she should learn to say please to servers-she's not rude, just forgets her manners.

I have been more emboldened to speak up when I'm being harassed/verbally abused/generally treated like crap (see my post on Spawn of Satan for det's), and I would feel safe to say that I'd be less afraid to stick up for someone else if it were happening to them in my presence. I'm not exactly the most, uh, threatening presence, but I feel I could be if it came to it.

I've had a bit more patience with the few times I've had to go through 20 phone prompts and get an operator who's clueless/helpless, it's not necessarily their fault they can't help me, and I'm more inclined to direct my complaints to an individual who can actually do something about it.

Kudos to this site-even though the majority of the posts here involve negativity, it appears we are all adult enough to learn from the situations and experiences of others and it makes us generally better people.
                              I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                              "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Working...
                              X