X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifter ignored my warning... LONG

Ok a little background...

As I have meantioned before I work in a tobacco outlet. We sell bags of tobacco, cigars, cigarettes..

We had one employee (my uncle, we look alike) that worked midnight, he use to carry a gun n his side at work. He is now on disability and may not be back. I took over the night shift 5 to 6 nights a week. Do I have a gun at work? Not yet.... Been thinking about it.

I have a VERY SHORT fuse.... I am easy to piss off and I know it. I am working on it. The guy I work with some nights has stopped me from "going outside" when asked to...

With shoplifters we usually just get the items back and tell them to get out and not to come back. 99 times out of 100 the police show up long after they have left.
    Plus to be honest the most they can steal is items $2 or less so not worth the time or trouble... Also when we catch them when the owner is there he just tells them to get out.

This young man comes in around 9:30 pm and places 4 packs of cigarillios on the counter but as he did he knocked some on the floor. He leans down to pick them up and I seen him put a pack up his hoodie sleave. I call him on it.

He tells me I always accuse him when he comes in and starts shaking the arm that I seen him shove at least one pack. I see it drop to the floor. I tell him to get his f*cking ass out. That sets him off wanting to fight me... Well the fuse is lite, I go flying around the counter to go outside with him. He exits and I start opening the door and fuse goes out. I stop dead. Not worth it. He is outside let him go...

He opens the door and tells me to come on and says I am scared of him. I tell him I am not scared of him. He says he isnt scared of my gun and that he has guns too. He is parked right infrnt of the door. he opens the passenger door and his friends asks whats going on. I tell the shoplifter I am not scared of him OR his friend. His friend asks what he has done to me.

The shoplifter runs his mouth some more then I tell my co-worker to call the police. The shoplifter gets into his SUV and starts to leave, I run out and get the plate, tell the passenger they better toss the weed because we called the police. He yells out the window they didn't have any. I run in and my co-worker gives the plate to 911.

The police show up 15 minutes later and I am thinking he got away and it was useless to call them. They tell me they caught him a block away... They asked what happened and we tell them. We can not say if he got away with any cigarillos or not and they ask how much they cost. I tell them with tax 84 cents.

I give them my name, DOB, etc... They again ask if they had walked out with the cigarillos. I can't be sure...

They say ok and leave... We didn't hear back from them so I figured they couldn't find any cigarillos on them so let them go...

Guess whats in todays paper? He was cited for shoplifting AND they found weed on him... The stupid idiot didn't listen so now he has more charges... he is 18 and now has a record for shoplifting and drug possession.

Sorry for the long post... and for any spelling mistakes.. most are because my Oo key has never worked right.. lol

He got on what was comming to him. :LOL:

Comment

These days his thinly veiled gun threat would get more reaction from the cops and they would have been faster to arrive.
      GFY

Comment

Mmmm.... Instant karma..... yum.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady
          Mmmm.... Instant karma..... yum.
          QFT. I love karma so much.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

What a pack of losers! And kudos to you for putting the brakes on.

Comment

So now this fricken idiot has a record . . . for trying to steal something worth 84 cents.

Hope it was worth it to ya buddy

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                Ok a little background...
                Do I have a gun at work? Not yet.... Been thinking about it.

I have a VERY SHORT fuse.... I am easy to piss off and I know it. I am working on it. The guy I work with some nights has stopped me from "going outside" when asked to...
                This is why I don't carry yet - I don't have confidence that I have enough self-control to deal with high stress situations as it is, there's no need to involve a firearm, especially with all the bad press going around.

You may have been being flippant, in which case, please disregard - but on the chance that you're serious, please reconsider carrying until you're certain you're in control; Anger can make bad situations worse, and sometimes carrying a weapon will lead to an escalation rather than a defusing.

For me, once I'm certain that I can walk away from someone being abusive without becoming invested or engaged in the conversation, that's when I'll start carrying - obviously, self-defense isn't really the issue here, it's the concern over using a firearm offensively.

It certainly sucks that you're in a situation where you may need one - is it possible for the store to have a defense weapon available to anyone working there (ie under the counter) so it's not readily accessible in the event that you get a little too heated?

Comment

The law allows our boss to buy a gun for the store but he will not. He says if we want to carry then it's up to us.

We do not have a register, we have a cash drawer. If I got a gun I would only carry it to and from work. I walk both ways and it is a bad area and seems to be getting worse.

There have been people robbed and jumped by groups of guys in my area. I also live on a street that has a lot of drug dealers and prostitutes. Also they have started to try and break into houses in my area. Even when the people are home. I listen to a scanner feed on my iPhone while at work and a 75 year old woman called 911 the other night because they was kicking her door. She was locked in her bedroom with a shotgun. She lives right around the corner from my apartment.

If I took a gun to work I would place it on the shelf right below the cash drawer. And when angry I do have enough control to NOT grab it unless they had a weapon, knife, gun, etc. I still have the mindset of when I grew up, you go outside beat the heck out of each other then its over.

But these young punks around here do not play that game, they would rather shoot you and run. Like the 18 year old I had problems with before, he is now wanted because he told someone to meet him at the local playground to fight, he shows up with 2 others and shoots the guy twice. The guy survived...

Comment

BTW I work 9pm to 7 am 5 or 6 nights a week. In the 5+ years I have been there we have never been robbed while I was working. I know my time is coming... the word on the street though is that we all now carry. I let it go since it isnt hurting anything letting them believe we all have a gun on us.

Comment

Good job standing up to those idiots!!! At my store, we're not allowed to stop shoplifters. My supervisor told me this once after I attempted to go after a guy who stole a DVD player. "You might offend the customer and he might not want to come back here next time that he has money to spend here!" I couldn't believe my ears!!! So in short, my store in particular has become a shoplifter's paradise, and our employees are encouraged to actually help the thief load up their stolen merchandise into their getaway cars.

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                        Good job standing up to those idiots!!! At my store, we're not allowed to stop shoplifters. My supervisor told me this once after I attempted to go after a guy who stole a DVD player. "You might offend the customer and he might not want to come back here next time that he has money to spend here!" I couldn't believe my ears!!! So in short, my store in particular has become a shoplifter's paradise, and our employees are encouraged to actually help the thief load up their stolen merchandise into their getaway cars.
                        My IQ just dropped a few hundred points after reading that... I can't believe the owner is still in business. On another note, can you PM me the address to where you work so I can pick up some Christmas gifts??? (Note: I am TOTALLY joking...please do not send me any such PM...lol)
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                          Your store sounds like the one from Retail comic... Can't decide if that's bad or good.

Comment

Working...
                          X